Metronome Questions...please Help!
fatstrat
Sep 5 2007, 02:15 AM
GMC:er
So, I've been playing for about 2 and half years, thought I was pretty good, but just recently started using a metronome.... Is it normal to be off pace with the metronome and to start out at slow speeds in the beginning? I feel like a beginner all over again, but maybe thats a good thing. Any advice from anybody?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear:

Guitars: Guild D-55, Taylor 110-E, 1992 Epiphone Sheraton II (JB neck and '59 bridge), PRS SE singlecut (SD Alnico II neck and Gibby Bustbucker Pro bridge)

Amps: Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25

Effects: Boss DD-7, BD-2, and Dunlop CryBaby
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
steve25
Sep 5 2007, 02:38 AM
QUOTE (fatstrat @ Sep 5 2007, 02:15 AM) *
So, I've been playing for about 2 and half years, thought I was pretty good, but just recently started using a metronome.... Is it normal to be off pace with the metronome and to start out at slow speeds in the beginning? I feel like a beginner all over again, but maybe thats a good thing. Any advice from anybody?

Yes starting out slow when using a metronome is perfectly normal, in fact it's recommended. You see, with a metronome its main purpose is not so much making you a faster player although it will help with that too, it's about keeping you in time.

When you are comfortable with the pace you are going at gradually increase it and get comfortable with that. You will be able to keep up with the metronome at higher paces and stay in time before you know it. Hope this helps

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
fatstrat
Sep 5 2007, 02:46 AM
QUOTE (steve25 @ Sep 4 2007, 09:38 PM) *
Yes starting out slow when using a metronome is perfectly normal, in fact it's recommended. You see, with a metronome its main purpose is not so much making you a faster player although it will help with that too, it's about keeping you in time.

When you are comfortable with the pace you are going at gradually increase it and get comfortable with that. You will be able to keep up with the metronome at higher paces and stay in time before you know it. Hope this helps

I appreciate the help alot! I just wanted to make sure that being off time when you're first starting out is normal with a metronome. I usually jam with a band and its not hard keeping in time with that, but this metronome's a whole other animal.

--------------------
My Gear:

Guitars: Guild D-55, Taylor 110-E, 1992 Epiphone Sheraton II (JB neck and '59 bridge), PRS SE singlecut (SD Alnico II neck and Gibby Bustbucker Pro bridge)

Amps: Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25

Effects: Boss DD-7, BD-2, and Dunlop CryBaby

+Quote Post
Patrik81
Sep 8 2007, 09:57 AM
i'm also new to metronome so i'll ask a question in your thread if you don't mind, I've just learned 3 string arpeggio sweeps and do pretty well now but find it easier to play if i have double the speed on my metronome than what Pavel showed in a video here, I put metronome at 120 and play as if it was 60 in Pavels lesson. Is that wrong?

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 8 2007, 09:59 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Patrik81 @ Sep 8 2007, 04:57 AM) *
i'm also new to metronome so i'll ask a question in your thread if you don't mind, I've just learned 3 string arpeggio sweeps and do pretty well now but find it easier to play if i have double the speed on my metronome than what Pavel showed in a video here, I put metronome at 120 and play as if it was 60 in Pavels lesson. Is that wrong?

Not wrong, its practically the same thing - you will get double the amount of clicks which will help you with the timing but that won't hurt. Maybe eventually try it at the true speed so you get used to playing with fewer rythmic cues.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 9 2007, 06:02 PM
Lets go fishing!
If you feel you need a break from metronome clicks you can always practice to a backing track. A good example of this is Pavels Ionian scale lesson because you can tell by listening if your playing in time.

But for beginners a metronome is definatly a good idea to teach you good practice for the future.

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Sep 9 2007, 06:03 PM

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:01 PM