Which Multitrack ?
meatkiller
Sep 6 2007, 12:08 AM
GMC:er
Hi all,

I need a simple multirecorder for laying down a few ideas and improvising on.

I would like a numerique model but with enough tracks to keep me satisfied even when I start more rich compositions. I was looking at models such as Boss 1200 or Tascam 2488 or even the Boss 600.

Have any members used or own one of these things and can therefore give me their opinions.

Is it better to have a model with hard disc or are the models with cards reliable.

Thanks,

Meat

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
PRS CE24 Sunburst (1996)
Godin ACS Nylon (1998)
Hofner Commitee (1955)
Hughes & Kettner 100 watt
Roland GR-30
Korg A4
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jeff
Sep 6 2007, 12:16 AM
QUOTE (meatkiller @ Sep 5 2007, 06:08 PM) *
Hi all,

I need a simple multirecorder for laying down a few ideas and improvising on.

I would like a numerique model but with enough tracks to keep me satisfied even when I start more rich compositions. I was looking at models such as Boss 1200 or Tascam 2488 or even the Boss 600.

Have any members used or own one of these things and can therefore give me their opinions.

Is it better to have a model with hard disc or are the models with cards reliable.

Thanks,

Meat
Have you considered using your PC for recording?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
meatkiller
Sep 6 2007, 12:51 AM
Hi Jeff,

Yes I have a Macintosh with a simple audio card but I have tried Cubase on a friends computer and I find that you spend more time holding the mouse than the neck of the guitar !! And I find all the settings quite complicated. I thought about the portable multitrack as I can easily record (choose the track- punch the REC button and PLAY) without messing around with technology. As Elton John once quoted in an interview on Classic Albums " Technology seems to slow down creativity !" (Not that I compare myself to the great Elton !)

--------------------
PRS CE24 Sunburst (1996)
Godin ACS Nylon (1998)
Hofner Commitee (1955)
Roland GR-30
Korg A4

+Quote Post
Jeff
Sep 6 2007, 01:45 AM
QUOTE (meatkiller @ Sep 5 2007, 06:51 PM) *
Hi Jeff,

Yes I have a Macintosh with a simple audio card but I have tried Cubase on a friends computer and I find that you spend more time holding the mouse than the neck of the guitar !! And I find all the settings quite complicated. I thought about the portable multitrack as I can easily record (choose the track- punch the REC button and PLAY) without messing around with technology. As Elton John once quoted in an interview on Classic Albums " Technology seems to slow down creativity !" (Not that I compare myself to the great Elton !)
Good points!

Well, I currently have a Roland VS1880. I have the same issues with working the mouse and PC problems as you have stated. There are pros and cons of each. Here is what I have found with both -

Roland pros: Awesome! I have never been disappointed with any of their products and I can recommend them highly. The VS1880 is a well built, excellent digital recorder. 18 tracks of digital recording, very dependable and easy to use. There is an excellent forum called the vsplanet where tons of users can give you all kinds of great advice. Check it out before you buy. I'm sure their other recorders are just as good. Recording is easy once you get it set up. Just push record and jam. No PC crashing/OS issues. Also easier to take a portable recorder to band practice and record vs. dragging a PC around. (unless you have a laptop)

Roland Cons: small lcd screens are difficult to see and you have to do a lot of button pressing to switch between edit screens. Also, it is harder to collaborate with other people because more people these days are switching to PC based recording. I think mainly because computers and software are so much better these days than they were when dedicated digital mini-studios were first introduced.Some digital recorders can not import and export external files like a PC can.

PC based recording pros: A lot of music software being constantly introduced, easier to import and export files to different formats. Having a large PC screen to edit is a huge difference compared to the small screens. Possibly cheaper depending on the software that you want, of course.

PC Cons: OS Crashes, incompatible software, bugs, etc. editing with a mouse as you have mentioned. Although there are controllers and even touch screens being introduced to help with PC based editing.

I think the bottom line is that it depends on your specific needs of course, but I have always liked my digital recorder because it's very reliable and it is specifically dedicated to recording music vs. my PC which I also use for email and Internet, etc.

You will need some sort of CD recorder obviously. If I could do it over, I would get one with a CD burner built in. It just seems to be easier to have it all in one package vs. and external one that I have. But maybe the newer ones have some sort of alternative back-up solution.

Oh, one other thing, I recently bought a Boss Micro BR which is a 4 track guitar recorder that can fit in the case of your guitar. It may not meet your needs but it is incredibly simple and makes good recordings.

+Quote Post
meatkiller
Sep 6 2007, 02:03 AM
Thanks Jeff ! Very "complete" answer !

That could be a good solution - going for a small, cheaper, portable multitracker for on the go use and look into getting some decent software and soundcard in the future for my computer if my need for more precise editing and recording develops.

--------------------
PRS CE24 Sunburst (1996)
Godin ACS Nylon (1998)
Hofner Commitee (1955)
Roland GR-30
Korg A4

+Quote Post
Understudy
Sep 17 2007, 09:57 AM
Hello Jeff, I was just looking at that mini recorder today. I was wondering if you could answer a few questions regarding what else I would need to upload recordings from that to my pc so I can upload some to this site ? Software suggestions etc would be very helpful. Thanks in advance

Ronnie

--------------------
Guitars Carvin DC-127 Ibanez RG-470
Accoustic Guitar Ovation Celebrity
Amp Marshall VS65R
Recording Gear Tascam Ministudio Porta 02 (Analog 4 track)
Boss DR-220 Dr. Rhythm Digital Drum Machine
Tuner Boss TU-12
Effects pedals Dunlop 535Q CryBaby, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Boss
CS-3 Compression Sustainer, Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, Boss DD-5 Digital Delay

+Quote Post
Robin
Sep 17 2007, 10:13 AM
I've ordered a Zoom HD16CD multitrack recording thing. Its supposed to be really simple, but good.

When I get it I might write a review on it.

+Quote Post
Understudy
Sep 17 2007, 11:17 AM
Robin that would be great. I don't know anything about recording to a computer. My old 4 track is from the caveman days I guess smile.gif

--------------------
Amp Marshall VS65R
Tuner Boss TU-12

+Quote Post
Robin
Sep 17 2007, 08:28 PM
QUOTE (Understudy @ Sep 17 2007, 10:17 AM) *
Robin that would be great. I don't know anything about recording to a computer. My old 4 track is from the caveman days I guess smile.gif

Those multitrack recording studios are supposed to be extremely easy to use. Computers arent always that easy smile.gif And you can bring the multitrack thing anywhere, anytime. Its a pain in the ass to take a computer with you.

+Quote Post
Jeff
Sep 17 2007, 11:59 PM
QUOTE (Understudy @ Sep 17 2007, 03:57 AM) *
Hello Jeff, I was just looking at that mini recorder today. I was wondering if you could answer a few questions regarding what else I would need to upload recordings from that to my pc so I can upload some to this site ? Software suggestions etc would be very helpful. Thanks in advance

Ronnie
Hi Ronnie,

The Micro BR Records to an internal card. So you can save your completed songs on the card in mp3 or .wav format and just plug it in via USB into the PC and transfer the data. You can also take the card out and plug it into your PC if you have the card reader slot and don't have USB. It's fairly easy to do. I believe it comes with the USB cable. You don't need any additional software to do that. But you might want to check out Reaper and download that for free (unless you already have multi track recording software). Then you can import your mp3 or .wav file into Reaper and edit it.

The Micro BR is really built for guitar but you can record vocals. It's a quick and easy way to capture some ideas and also acts as a guitar tuner and mp3 player. It's excellent for transcribing songs because you can slow down songs without changing the pitch. It has built in drum patterns that you can loop, too. It works great for keeping in your guitar case or carrying it around with you. It's about the size of an ipod. It does limit you to 4 tracks though and I probably wouldn't rely on it as your main recorder, but it's a nice piece of equipment. Eats batteries though so you will need to get an adapter.

The built in guitar effects are pretty decent. I've gotten some pretty nice sounds out of it. Just make sure you run through all of the sounds when you try it out because if you don't like the sounds included you may not like it that much.

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Sep 18 2007, 12:09 AM
Check out the Fostex MR-8 or MKII .I wrote a small review on it yesterday,just got it and i love it. smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Understudy
Sep 18 2007, 04:17 AM
Thanks for the info Jeff and shredmandan smile.gif. I will re read the reviews for both of those online and try to decide, I was looking at another model that was posted in the forums also but nobody had experience with the particular model, sells for like $390.00. It was also a Boss

--------------------
Amp Marshall VS65R
Tuner Boss TU-12

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 19 2007, 08:37 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
If you can get hold of a copy of this month's (September 2007 issue) Sound on Sound there are two good Q&A bits. One is 'are there any current alternatives to the Roland VS-series multitrackers' and the other 'should we use software or hardware for recording live gigs'. The first says the 2488 (and the Korg D3200) is good but not pro-quality - SoS seem to like the Roland VS2480, Akai DSP24, Korg D32XD but ultimately says the Akai.

The Akai isn't cheap - about 1700UK sterling but it's likely (as are the Roland and Korg) to last you and if you intend to keep it for good/a long time then maybe it's worth spending a bit extra...

Second Q&A makes the point that if you have a pc with sequencing software then you could always record live stuff off the mixing desk to a hard disc recorder (not a multi-track) and then import that to your pc when you want to. If it's not your desk you'd need to convince the sound engineer to let you attach it to the desk and you'd need the xlr leads/connectors but could be a possibility. You'd could save on not having to get lots of mics and leave the engineer with having to mix it wink.gif and a hard disc recorder is quite a light and small box to carry.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:31 AM