Guitar Rig 4, what speaker & power amp setup
Georgia Rocker
Aug 21 2011, 02:06 AM
GMC:er
I got guitar rig 4 and now I'm needing something to play it through. Not sure what kind of setup that I need. I read that you have to use a power amp and cab. Everything I have is combo and it's not good to run preamp to preamp(combo). Looks like power amps are made to go into a rack, so I guess I need to get a rack to put it in, or is there something else that I can use. I mostly place at the house but maybe do a small venue here and there. Trying to see what anyone is using and maybe gets some idea's.
Or maybe this is something I shouldnt be using alltogether...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 21 2011, 02:29 AM
Instructor
I don't use emulators to play live but what I would do is just send the signal from your computer to the mixing console and using the stage monitors to hear your guitar. This would be the cheaper way to play live with guitar rig. Otherwise you should need to buy a power amp and a cab to use it... This last one is the best option because you can mic your cab and get a less digital sound avoiding using the cab and mic emulators from the Guitar Rig. If you have an amp in your home and it has loops effect input, you could send send the guitar rig signal to that input to avoid using the preamp of your amp.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 21 2011, 06:34 AM
QUOTE (Georgia Rocker @ Aug 20 2011, 09:06 PM) *
I got guitar rig 4 and now I'm needing something to play it through. Not sure what kind of setup that I need. I read that you have to use a power amp and cab. Everything I have is combo and it's not good to run preamp to preamp(combo). Looks like power amps are made to go into a rack, so I guess I need to get a rack to put it in, or is there something else that I can use. I mostly place at the house but maybe do a small venue here and there. Trying to see what anyone is using and maybe gets some idea's.
Or maybe this is something I shouldnt be using alltogether...

Welcome to the wonderful world of Guitar Emulation smile.gif I LOVE Guitar Rig. I use it for all my lessons and home recording. If you are running through a laptop, you can honestly take your guitar jack, convert it to eigth inch (mini headphone) and run it straight in to your laptop. Then out of your laptop in to almost anything. A P.A, a guitar amp, a home stereo, whatever. For live use, you can run the output of your laptop in to a direct box, then straight in to the house mixing board.

You will want to make custom presets depending on what you are amping through. I'm going in and out of my computer through an external audio interface but after watching one of our Fellow GMCers go straight in and out of a laptop, I"m certain that would work as well.

Here is a link to my Preset Exchange thread in the forum. Some very Spiff Guitar Rig Presets.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=37629

Also, here is an example of the preset i used today in the Saturday Video Chat Lesson. P.S. I"m from Georgia Too! smile.gif

Attached File  DoxologiaMinorII_GMC71.mp3 ( 806.45K ) Number of downloads: 128

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 21 2011, 07:20 AM
Instructor
I want to add that here you can find some cool amps specially designed for emulators like Axe, Pod or Guitar Rig.

http://www.atomicamps.com/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 21 2011, 01:37 PM
Instructor
Yeah, plugging in your GR4/laptop in the PA (or any hi-fi) system will work much better than using poweramp and cab.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Aug 21 2011, 01:37 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Georgia Rocker
Aug 21 2011, 04:15 PM
Hey thanks for the input...im gonna go with a pa, and thanks for the presets link. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Aug 21 2011, 04:32 PM
Instructor
woa, i want one of those atomic cabs.. they look sweet, and flat response ... YUM!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Georgia Rocker
Aug 21 2011, 08:46 PM
Yeah they are sweet, but a little out of my reach...

QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Aug 21 2011, 11:32 AM) *
woa, i want one of those atomic cabs.. they look sweet, and flat response ... YUM!

This post has been edited by Georgia Rocker: Aug 21 2011, 08:46 PM

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Aug 21 2011, 08:48 PM
Instructor
im wondering if i just need one of those + my virtual setup to sound that good...
checking them out, but yeah, they are a bit expensive.

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 21 2011, 10:24 PM
QUOTE (Georgia Rocker @ Aug 21 2011, 03:46 PM) *
Yeah they are sweet, but a little out of my reach...

Very nice smile.gif Maybe some day. The good news is, that even with a pretty cheap power amp, a good guitar rig setup sounds nice through a PA. I"ve used a dirt cheap four channel PA head that I got at a Pawn Shop and put it through a couple of so so PA speakers and it actually sounded great. coming straight out of my audio interface via quarter inch mono.

When you are at home, you can just use the same speakers/amp that you use to listen to record/mix. The great thing about guitar rig, is that it makes home recording much more like it would be in a "Real" studio. (SHOCK AND AMAZEMENT) Here is what I mean.

*In a big studio, your guitar would be in an isolation booth or maybe the main recording room. That way, you don't get "bleed" and hear the amp in the same room where your mixing monitors are.

The way Guitar Rig works, it creates a "Virtual" recording room that is perfectly isolated and you have full control over what type of microphone, where the mic is placed, what effects are on the rig. etc. And it's as if it's just sitting there waiting for you. If you had a HUG studio in your basement, you might leave a bit amp setup with mics and bring your guitar to the control room. Well guess what, now you can smile.gif Your HUGE guitar amp just lives inside your computer.

Before I start a flame war, let me say

I PREFER TO HAVE A GREAT AMP AND CABINET IN A GREAT SOUNDING ROOM WITH GREAT MICS.

But that isn't practical in most home recording setups. Given that fact, I've embraced Emulation and have spend wads of time creating some patches that sound as close to my "Real" rig as I can get them. I usually eliminate the Amp/Cab in every preset as I don't like the way they sound and use the TRANSAMP instead. Here is a recent one. Give it a shot!

72 TONE PREVIEW (EARLY DOWNLOAD)

Attached File  72_PreviewTone.mp3 ( 613.8K ) Number of downloads: 148

HERE IS THE GUITAR RIG PATCH!

Attached File  GMC_LESSON_72_DOXOLOGIA.ksd.zip ( 5.48K ) Number of downloads: 100

*BONUS! A fellow GMCer pointed me to this Emulator so give it a try too!

Here is the download link.

http://www.overloud.com/download.php

HAMMERFALL is using it on their next album!

http://www.overloud.com/overloud.php?ida=224
[size="5"][/size]

+Quote Post
Georgia Rocker
Aug 22 2011, 01:33 AM
Wouldn't you know it , I went to guitar center and got me a pa system and got it setup and my pc I had everything setup on crashed...Wouldn't boot up anymore..So I had to put guitar rig on my laptop. I havent gotten to use it yet. I just plugged my usb cable from my gr pedal to the laptop, but you were saying something about plugging into your sound card using an adapter? Do you still plug your usb cable in? I got it running but wasn't sure the way I did it was the best sounding way, just thought i'd check with you. Man it's so loud it's hard to get it turned down to a decent sounding guitar tone. Im gonna see about adjusting some of the volume levels hear and there. I got a harbinger ha 120, just a cheap one . Hey thanks for the presets and the link for the mark studio I'll be checking that out as well. Got so much to learn.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 21 2011, 05:24 PM) *
Very nice smile.gif Maybe some day. The good news is, that even with a pretty cheap power amp, a good guitar rig setup sounds nice through a PA. I"ve used a dirt cheap four channel PA head that I got at a Pawn Shop and put it through a couple of so so PA speakers and it actually sounded great. coming straight out of my audio interface via quarter inch mono.

When you are at home, you can just use the same speakers/amp that you use to listen to record/mix. The great thing about guitar rig, is that it makes home recording much more like it would be in a "Real" studio. (SHOCK AND AMAZEMENT) Here is what I mean.

*In a big studio, your guitar would be in an isolation booth or maybe the main recording room. That way, you don't get "bleed" and hear the amp in the same room where your mixing monitors are.

The way Guitar Rig works, it creates a "Virtual" recording room that is perfectly isolated and you have full control over what type of microphone, where the mic is placed, what effects are on the rig. etc. And it's as if it's just sitting there waiting for you. If you had a HUG studio in your basement, you might leave a bit amp setup with mics and bring your guitar to the control room. Well guess what, now you can smile.gif Your HUGE guitar amp just lives inside your computer.

I PREFER TO HAVE A GREAT AMP AND CABINET IN A GREAT SOUNDING ROOM WITH GREAT MICS.

But that isn't practical in most home recording setups. Given that fact, I've embraced Emulation and have spend wads of time creating some patches that sound as close to my "Real" rig as I can get them. I usually eliminate the Amp/Cab in every preset as I don't like the way they sound and use the TRANSAMP instead. Here is a recent one. Give it a shot!

Attached File  GMC_LESSON_72_DOXOLOGIA.ksd.zip ( 5.48K ) Number of downloads: 100

[size="5"][/size]

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Aug 25 2011, 02:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 21 2011, 10:24 PM) *

[size="5"][/size]

man it really sounds good! that overloud one

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 25 2011, 05:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 21 2011, 06:24 PM) *

[size="5"][/size]

Great post Todd! Thanks for the samples and download links. I agree that emulators are the best solution for home recording.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:33 PM