2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Rick Graham Signature Charvel Guitar
Todd Simpson
Jul 8 2021, 04:32 PM
GMC:er
He's been playing Prestige Ibbys (among other axes) for a long time. At one point he took an ESP endorsement a bit back. Now he has a CHARVEL endorsement with a new Rick Sig guitar. It doesn't have fine tuners on the trem as most of his ibbys do, but he also plays a strat from time to time. It's got a roasted maple neck which looks great and a sea foam "ish" color which I also like. I'd have put a floyd on it but maybe he wanted a more strat look which is something that MISHA MANSOOR from Periphery did with his recent new JACKSON sig. Matter of fack, MISHAS new jackson and RICKs new Charvel look A LOT alike. Here is a link to Mishas.

These new guitars will run about $2500 so not a starter guitar. Any thoughts on this Axe?

More info @
https://guitar.com/news/gear-news/charvel-n...an-rick-graham/

Attached Image

*Check out this string skipping lesson.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ipping-lesson2/

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 3 2021, 02:17 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 8 2021, 06:13 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I'm finding it odd that there is a Rick Graham sig from Charvel, I can't recall him playing a Charvel though no doubt he had at some point.

I always thought sig guitars went to people who used the manufacturers guitars as their main instrument.

Not for me even if it was half that price tbh.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 8 2021, 07:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 8 2021, 02:13 PM) *
I'm finding it odd that there is a Rick Graham sig from Charvel, I can't recall him playing a Charvel though no doubt he had at some point.

I always thought sig guitars went to people who used the manufacturers guitars as their main instrument.

Not for me even if it was half that price tbh.

I've seen him using Charvel guitars for a while (combined with his Strat, Tele and Ibanez)

His signature guitar looks beautiful! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Jul 8 2021, 07:23 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 8 2021, 07:28 PM
Marco Sfogli is a recent example who jumped to Jackson/Charvel from ibanez. No new signature yet but he has a few video's with current models.

Their Mexican models are great value, seems these are from Japan as Jackson recently started making guitar there again. I haven't played them yet but Japanese models were similar price and quality back in the day so hard to discuss without playing one.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 8 2021, 09:23 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 8 2021, 07:23 PM) *
I've seen him using Charvel guitars for a while (combined with his Strat, Tele and Ibanez)

I haven't watched much of his recent stuff to be honest, I'm always a little dubious when all of a sudden a player moves to a different manufacturer and a sig comes out. Govan played Suhr I'm sure for a long time and now he has a sig Charvel out, Marco Sfogli will have one out next. Are Jackson/Charvel dangling a financial carrot?

I know money talks but it always looks like they've sold out to me.

We all need to eat I guess and I'd like to be proven wrong.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 8 2021, 09:55 PM
Rick is just an amazing player. I have enormous respect for his ability. As you say though, one has to pay the bills. I saw that he took an ESP endorsement a while back and used to have a huge ESP banner hanging in his home studio at that time. it seemed to go away though and he was back to playing mostly ibbys.

Now he's got a Charvel endorsement and sig axe. Who knows, maybe he just decided he really liked Charvel axes? I have seen him playing that one that looked a lot like his sig. i do wonder how long it will last though.

Also, did you see the MISHA MANSOOR signature guitar ? HIs new one? It's a Strat!!! It's got the HSS just like ricks sig, and it's got the roasted maple neck, just like ricks. that seems to be massively trendy just now, the SUHR look of roasted maple neck, HSS and non locking trem.

Even GUTHRIE GOVAN has how switched away from SUHR and is playing a guitar that looks a lot like his old SUHR signature. But as you say, one has to pay the bills.

**HERE IS MISHAS NEW SIG AXE. LOOK FAMILIAR?

Attached Image

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 8 2021, 04:23 PM) *
I haven't watched much of his recent stuff to be honest, I'm always a little dubious when all of a sudden a player moves to a different manufacturer and a sig comes out. Govan played Suhr I'm sure for a long time and now he has a sig Charvel out, Marco Sfogli will have one out next. Are Jackson/Charvel dangling a financial carrot?

I know money talks but it always looks like they've sold out to me.

We all need to eat I guess and I'd like to be proven wrong.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 8 2021, 09:57 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 8 2021, 10:01 PM
I guess I can live with guitarists having guitar related endorsements, it's when international level athletes get endorsed by, and promote things like Coca Cola and McDonald's that it looks really bad.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 8 2021, 09:55 PM) *
Rick is just an amazing player. I have enormous respect for his ability. As you say though, one has to pay the bills. I saw that he took an ESP endorsement a while back and used to have a huge ESP banner hanging in his home studio at that time. it seemed to go away though and he was back to playing mostly ibbys.

Now he's got a Charvel endorsement and sig axe. Who knows, maybe he just decided he really liked Charvel axes? I have seen him playing that one that looked a lot like his sig. i do wonder how long it will last though.

Also, did you see the MISHA MANSOOR signature guitar ? HIs new one? It's a Strat!!! It's got the HSS just like ricks sig, and it's got the roasted maple neck, just like ricks. that seems to be massively trendy just now, the SUHR look of roasted maple neck, HSS and non locking trem.

Even GUTHRIE GOVAN has how switched away from SUHR and is playing a guitar that looks a lot like his old SUHR signature. But as you say, one has to pay the bills.

**HERE IS MISHAS NEW SIG AXE. LOOK FAMILIAR?

Attached Image

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 10 2021, 07:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 8 2021, 06:01 PM) *
I guess I can live with guitarists having guitar related endorsements, it's when international level athletes get endorsed by, and promote things like Coca Cola and McDonald's that it looks really bad.

biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 10 2021, 08:24 PM
Very true! I thought of this video. it's a great ARP sequence that I'm still working on. i don't have the tabs so I'm just watching and learning smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 8 2021, 02:23 PM) *

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 13 2021, 10:30 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 10 2021, 08:06 PM) *
biggrin.gif

I saw that and read about it. For all the kids dreaming about becoming soccer players or athletes etc, they probably should be drinking water, so I like the message he is sending a lot. Or just people in general. Water is better. But I also understand that Coca Cola sponsor the tournament, which is kinda weird in a way. I know they have a lot of money though for it, but I just wish it could be a water company instead smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jul 14 2021, 09:39 AM
Learning Roadie
It's interesting because he quit the deal he had with ESP a few years back because he wanted to play any guitar he felt like playing. I guess he's changed his mind

The output jack location is something i haven't seem before, I'm guessing this is coming from the fact that he predominantly plays sitting down in classical position.

Edit - It seems to be a DK feature rather than a Rick Graham signature feature

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Jul 14 2021, 09:41 AM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 16 2021, 04:07 AM
I like that placement of the jack smile.gif Keeps the cord out of the way. It looks like a spiff axe and I'm glad he found an endorsement that suits him. I still think IBANEZ should endorse him as he is a long term Ibby guy!!

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jul 14 2021, 04:39 AM) *
It's interesting because he quit the deal he had with ESP a few years back because he wanted to play any guitar he felt like playing. I guess he's changed his mind

The output jack location is something i haven't seem before, I'm guessing this is coming from the fact that he predominantly plays sitting down in classical position.

Edit - It seems to be a DK feature rather than a Rick Graham signature feature

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jul 19 2021, 07:27 PM
Learning Roadie
Guthrie has been with Charvel for a couple years or so.

I'm sure Fender/Charvel were able to finance things that he wanted to do that Suhr couldn't but I think there were some design things that Suhr couldn't do as their artist stuff is still within certain limits of body design etc

Saying that his first Charvel Sig model was pretty close to his Suhr Sig Model

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 8 2021, 07:42 PM
Learning Rock Star

--------------------

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Sep 8 2021, 08:06 PM
Learning Tone Master
Soo basically it's a Charvel Pro-Mod DK24 at almost triple the price.

The only difference is that the body is made of basswood instead of alder.

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 8 2021, 08:10 PM
Learning Rock Star
Haven't really checked it out. Had the video running in the background, and didn't really listen or check specs or price. Just wanted to share it smile.gif Not a guitar I'm interested in anyway smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Sep 9 2021, 12:22 AM
QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Sep 8 2021, 08:06 PM) *

Attached Image

Attached Image

I am actually very tempted to adquire that blue one. cool.gif

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 9 2021, 12:27 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Sep 8 2021, 09:06 PM) *

Attached Image

Attached Image

Are these made in Japan by the way? I couldn't find much info, but it seems Ricks signature is Japan made, where as some Pro-Mod models are mexican. I think Rick's also has Bareknuckle pick ups.

EDIT: That was not to be a Japan cork sniffer, but just to point out differences, though all my guitars from Japan have seemingly been better than non-japan (Ibanez, mind you), and from what I hear the quality control is usually higher, meaning that i.e. Indonesian models can be a bit hit or miss (I was very happy with my Iron Label). But whether this is true or not, I have no idea.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Sep 9 2021, 01:11 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 9 2021, 01:25 AM
It looks like Ricks is MIJ but many charvel are now made in mexico. It seems they are charging a premium for the MIJ and that it's a "sig" model smile.gif Im still wondering why it's the only guitar i've seen him play without a locking trem on it.
https://www.charvel.com/gear/shape/dk/rick-...t-cm/2929413862

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 8 2021, 07:27 PM) *
Are these made in Japan by the way? I couldn't find much info, but it seems Ricks signature is Japan made, where as some Pro-Mod models are mexican. I think Rick's also has Bareknuckle pick ups.

EDIT: That was not to be a Japan cork sniffer, but just to point out differences, though all my guitars from Japan have seemingly been better than non-japan (Ibanez, mind you), and from what I hear the quality control is usually higher, meaning that i.e. Indonesian models can be a bit hit or miss (I was very happy with my Iron Label). But whether this is true or not, I have no idea.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 9 2021, 01:44 AM
FMIC owns both Jackson and Charvel so yeah, MIM and MIJ is of course their SOP.
As for the 'switch' ... I can't know for sure but Fender is really the only big name company that actually gives free guitars to it's endorsers. *Gibson will give away Epiphones (not the USA models) but never a real American made LP or 335. Maybe Slash and Jimmy Page will get a free LP but for the most part you just get 50% off factory list price. Companies like Suhr don't giveaway anything to anybody. For those smaller boutique brands it's usually 40% off list.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:26 PM