Job Purpose
jstcrsn
Jan 16 2014, 09:50 PM
Learning Tone Master
silly question ,but , what is the purpose of your job

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Jan 16 2014, 09:50 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 16 2014, 10:13 PM
GMC:er
Silly question, are you speaking metaphorically? Or literally? At the most basic level, the purpose of a job in general is of course to generate income smile.gif On the other hand, the "purpose" of a given job is to do some sort of work that is needed in a given organization. I could say for example the purpose of my job here at GMC is to instruct students in playing guitar smile.gif

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jan 16 2014, 03:50 PM) *
silly question ,but , what is the purpose of your job

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 17 2014, 09:37 AM
Instructor
My job towards myself is to be involved in creative activities which develop me on the inside and outside and my job towards the others is to try and provide as best as possible in the fields I am involved so that I make their experience as fruitful as possible. If these are met, finances will arrive by default in almost every case - am I right? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 17 2014, 11:57 AM
Instructor
Probably a matter of the type of job You have. I mean...how does it fit Your personal purposes. It's all about what You expect Your job should be. Do You feel You need just make living out of it...or You want to feel Your doing something important at the same time

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jan 17 2014, 12:32 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
To ensure that audio is fit for purpose and presented in a way that achieves the aims and desires of the producer and artist as best as can be done.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jan 17 2014, 12:36 PM
Learning Tone Master
I personally make my job only for living. I don't like my job (I work in a IT company). This job is not my purpose. In the last time, everyday I have the same feeling that I limit my time for music. And this didn't make me feel good.
But....... the good thing at my work is that often I have time to replace my "hate" for this job making useful things (learning to make video editing, testing my skills for mixing, make sound experience) smile.gif And all of that helping me for my real purpose smile.gif So, in every bad thing I always find a good thing wink.gif

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Jan 17 2014, 12:37 PM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 17 2014, 01:20 PM
Instructor
Good point Monica smile.gif Even in the hated job we can get some skills useful in guitar playing. Even if You just carry the bags with sandfor 8 hours per day it can affect Your health condition in a good way (strength) that will affect Your abilities to make speed alternate picking biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 17 2014, 02:50 PM
Instructor
The purpose of my job is inspiring other people to feel better, be happier and be more creative. That's the main goal when you dedicate your life to music. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 17 2014, 06:06 PM
I have a family. My job's purpose is to make money ... I just happen to like my job (most of the time).

+Quote Post
wollace03
Jan 17 2014, 06:19 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jan 17 2014, 06:06 PM) *
I have a family. My job's purpose is to make money ... I just happen to like my job (most of the time).

same here...
I have my job to earn money for my family .... but I actually really love my job so it is cool.... the only problem is, that it takes so much time to do it so that means less time for family, guitat and friends...

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Jan 17 2014, 08:30 PM
Learning Rock Star
To be able to live like I want.
To make the elderly independent from help
To help people in a crisis
To instruct people in maintaining and bettering their health.
and a lot more.

If I didn't have to work I would not, but with the job I have it is not that bad.

I have worked for 40.5 hours this week, and been to tired/lazy for excercise, which is irritating me.
I heard an advice from an American professor last week. Wokrk only 25 hours each week untill you are 80 years old.
In Denmark almost everybody feel they work too much to see their kids, when they grow up. When they are 65 they retire and have too much time and their children are working and not having time for them.
I think it is a good advice, but we do not have a society where working only 25 hours is normal.

This post has been edited by Ulrik: Jan 17 2014, 08:31 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 19 2014, 08:50 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Jan 17 2014, 11:36 AM) *
I personally make my job only for living. I don't like my job (I work in a IT company). This job is not my purpose. In the last time, everyday I have the same feeling that I limit my time for music. And this didn't make me feel good.
But....... the good thing at my work is that often I have time to replace my "hate" for this job making useful things (learning to make video editing, testing my skills for mixing, make sound experience) smile.gif And all of that helping me for my real purpose smile.gif So, in every bad thing I always find a good thing wink.gif

If everyone would be able to think like you do, this world would be filled with people doing extraordinary things. Most of the time, we let negative thoughts overburden us and we are not able to find the advantages in everything we do. I think it's the healthiest thing to develop a thinking such as that smile.gif

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jan 20 2014, 09:11 AM
QUOTE (Ulrik @ Jan 17 2014, 02:30 PM) *
To be able to live like I want.
To make the elderly independent from help
To help people in a crisis
To instruct people in maintaining and bettering their health.
and a lot more.

If I didn't have to work I would not, but with the job I have it is not that bad.

I have worked for 40.5 hours this week, and been to tired/lazy for excercise, which is irritating me.
I heard an advice from an American professor last week. Wokrk only 25 hours each week untill you are 80 years old.
In Denmark almost everybody feel they work too much to see their kids, when they grow up. When they are 65 they retire and have too much time and their children are working and not having time for them.
I think it is a good advice, but we do not have a society where working only 25 hours is normal.

Sounds about right, where I work it's nothing to see upwards of 50 hours a week. I however try to limit that way down to something around 35 hours. Helps me, gain more me time in a week for guitaring.

Therefore I work to blow money! laugh.gif

As for my job we make food in mass abundance and some days we over make food to give to charities/churches to help the less fortunate.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jan 20 2014, 07:33 PM
Job purpose is simple...

You work for the man (your boss), so he can have a better life style at your expense. While your spending all your life working, they are on holiday enjoying it. All Fridays are work for free days, where as you work for free to pay your government spying on you while playing online games in the hunt for possible terrorists and also to pay for any person who doesn't care for working and is on the benefit making more money than the average tax payer. With the little money you do get you end up spending it on a little food, clothes, and rent to make you through to your next pay check - out of that is another percentage taken via the government to spend on taxes and warfare funding in which only 12% goes to actually soldiers. That seems to be more important to them than even your families healthcare and education. The rest of your money is spent via rubbish liabilities you don't even need, which simply drain your cash, such as via petrol costs of owning that expensive sports car your still got on 12% interest and been paying off for the last 25 years. Therefore you own others money and have a credit card (your bank, who is clearly looking out for number one, kindly let you have) which never seems to get paid off.

Of course this is all just to make the rich getting richer while the poor gets poorer. The rich get other suckers to work for them, create passive incomes in which they are paid while sleeping, own the properties in which you pay rent, and avoid paying taxes by running their own business in which they put all the money back into assets, avoiding most liabilities or running them off as business expenses, etc.

Now get back to WORK and don't get any smart ideas!

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Jan 20 2014, 07:37 PM

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 20 2014, 09:11 PM
Man, I can't wait to hear you when your about 45, lol!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 20 2014, 09:51 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jan 20 2014, 08:11 PM) *
Man, I can't wait to hear you when your about 45, lol!

biggrin.gif

For me, I got in and out a few jobs (from burgers to real estate). Most were typical jobs a child (no worrys, no one forced me to work as a child, thats a different story smile.gif ) or teenager.

After compulsory military service I had to work in 2 jobs, one was my investment and other was a realestate company (selling houses). It wasn't terrible, I actually learned a lot of stuff but as a job marketing simply didn't fit my character.

This went on for 2-3 years till finally I created time for a music teaching career. The inverted job is still going on but as I find more students I'm slowly decreasing that cycle. If I had a family though such transition would take a much longer time.

Thing about job is (specially if you don't like it), you spent most of your life to it which mostly doesn't feel fair. I can only suggest to make investments if they need a transition similar to mine but this can be very hard as it takes lots of time and patience to spare such money and finding a way to use it best to make profit and the job that suits personal expectation.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 21 2014, 09:20 AM
Instructor
There's this very old saying - 'Find a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life' People forget this too often and focus on making money, even if it makes them miserable, but after all it's about life choices... if you have a family, you will most likely aim to provide and leave everything else aside. That's why I think that it's more important to find yourself first and then assume responsibilities towards others. You will find it much easier and fulfilling - but that's just me smile.gif

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jan 22 2014, 04:52 AM
Learning Tone Master
off course there are really no wrong answers, but if you break it down Unless you are the boss (,in which you provide a product to a consumer that they are willing to equate its value for a predetermined amount) .If you are in anyone's employ the purpose of your job,like it or not, is to help bring profit to your employer, without this you would not have a job.
It seems here in America our youths are coming out of either high school or college(with very little to no job skills) with the attitude that they should be making as much as the boss, that profit is an evil thing.
owning a company I get to see the other side of things,let me enlighten you from my point of view .I had a small side business that paid an employee 50 dollars an hour, problem being i could only give him 2 hours a day, this was not enough for him to make a living with his family and I can understand this, so after meetings with him and my wife(business partner)we decided to expand the business, told the employee what we were doing spent thousands in advertising, created a website( aquabathtub.com) only to have the employee quit 2 weeks later. Now I am busy with my construction business and have no one to repair tubs, no time to train someone else but, just shelled a couple grand to try to grow my business and try to increase an employee's income. So I had to shut that business down.
now my construction business I wanted to grow, needed some one worth 15 an hour which is about 30,000 a year, I have to have work comp for that new employee, adding 30,000 worth of payroll will also cost 6,000 in new work comp insurance payments not to mention the federal taxes that he pays the government I have match and if I have to lay him off( which can happen very easily in this economy in the construction field)
The government charges me for the first 6 months, that 275.00 a weeks for six months( 26 weeks). Now hopefully I don't have to lay him off but if I did , before I hire him, I have to make sure this new employee will at least generate 46,150in additional income just for me to break even. or I lose money. not to mention them calling in sick all the time. Let say I get 1500 profit for a job, no matter how long I take to do it , that is my profit everyone shows up every day we can do the job in 5 days, but since each off the five guys each called in sick on a different day it took seven days, take into account those two extra days fell over a weekend , that they dont want to work to make up their missed days, over a three week period I went from making 4500 to 3000 in the same 3week period, not to mention me staying late after they get their 8(that they complain about getting)working sometimes till ten at night to get the job done on time, no to mention the paperwork after I get Home , the dealing with the government and the numerous changes they are constantly making.
So I ask should I go thru this for nothing,
Next time you think your boss is living the easy life ,remember this , the vast majority of business owners have stories exactly like this one , ask him I bet you he would love to tell you what he went through,
And then you can thank him that he had the courage and strenght to go thru what he did so you and all your work mates ( who agreed to take that job ) that you complain about, cause without the desire to make a profit you would not have your job today
of course if you work for the government all this that just went on , is what goes on so you can get your job
so next time someone wants to tell you that boss's and profit are evil , make sure you have the fax before you assume
was that enough of a rant for ya

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Jan 22 2014, 04:55 AM

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jan 22 2014, 07:32 PM
Aww you really put me off owning my own business for another year at least!

Don't get me wrong, I love my boss and respect the business. Most of the post above was just taking the micky, with some facts behind it - it's at least better to enjoy what you do till the point it's not considered as work and also find some passive incomes to back it up even more.

I am really lazy when it comes to working if I don't think it's of any benefit to me or others. If I hate it, I won't do it for long following the set given orders, rather I tend to find a better/quicker solution to getting it done... When I was 10-11: First job I dropped magazines off around the neighbour. Well that got boring fast, so I attempting to skateboard around with my dog pulling the skateboard as seen in the movies. The problem with that is my dog is a tiny jack Russell, half the size of the skateboard, so that didn't work! I ended up dumping the magazines on the corner street, wrote a neat little sign saying 'FREE - Take one if you want it! Say no to junk mail'. That worked... everyone happy? ...for about a week till the boss found out. Moved onto a small burger joint, the back cooking up burgers was hot and annoying (plus illegal for me to work at my age) so I went to custom orders instead - sitting at the drive thru taking orders. Got lazy with that and attempted to record and playback my drive thru message via my iPod 'Hi, welcome to *******, may I take your order........... uh-hah, uh-hah... do you want fries with that?'. I would automate and re-sharp the entire world if I could! I made it through the two full weeks of training, teaching my trainer how to simplify workload, then left...

I struggled finding something I love to do as a job, don't even consider it working, and has flexible hours. It's worth finding something you love to do. Now this job (already turned 12 and only been through two jobs) requires me to wake up as is, get a free $56 haircut, wear some brand new cloths and stupidly pose in them for a little, while chatting up with a sexy chick assistance. I ended up in those stupid clothing magazine which a kid would end up placing on the end of the corner street with a sign saying 'FREE'... and so the world goes around. Working about 1/3 of the time, relaxing most of it, for more than triple the payment. Yet at school some people mock me while they happily work away flipping burgers? So umm I guess mock away!

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Jan 22 2014, 11:06 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 23 2014, 09:26 AM
Instructor
What a story smile.gif So if I get it right, you are the image of a kids clothes brand?

QUOTE (Azzaboi @ Jan 22 2014, 06:32 PM) *
Aww you really put me off owning my own business for another year at least!

Don't get me wrong, I love my boss and respect the business. Most of the post above was just taking the micky, with some facts behind it - it's at least better to enjoy what you do till the point it's not considered as work and also find some passive incomes to back it up even more.

I am really lazy when it comes to working if I don't think it's of any benefit to me or others. If I hate it, I won't do it for long following the set given orders, rather I tend to find a better/quicker solution to getting it done... When I was 10-11: First job I dropped magazines off around the neighbour. Well that got boring fast, so I attempting to skateboard around with my dog pulling the skateboard as seen in the movies. The problem with that is my dog is a tiny jack Russell, half the size of the skateboard, so that didn't work! I ended up dumping the magazines on the corner street, wrote a neat little sign saying 'FREE - Take one if you want it! Say no to junk mail'. That worked... everyone happy? ...for about a week till the boss found out. Moved onto a small burger joint, the back cooking up burgers was hot and annoying (plus illegal for me to work at my age) so I went to custom orders instead - sitting at the drive thru taking orders. Got lazy with that and attempted to record and playback my drive thru message via my iPod 'Hi, welcome to *******, may I take your order........... uh-hah, uh-hah... do you want fries with that?'. I would automate and re-sharp the entire world if I could! I made it through the two full weeks of training, teaching my trainer how to simplify workload, then left...

I struggled finding something I love to do as a job, don't even consider it working, and has flexible hours. It's worth finding something you love to do. Now this job (already turned 12 and only been through two jobs) requires me to wake up as is, get a free $56 haircut, wear some brand new cloths and stupidly pose in them for a little, while chatting up with a sexy chick assistance. I ended up in those stupid clothing magazine which a kid would end up placing on the end of the corner street with a sign saying 'FREE'... and so the world goes around. Working about 1/3 of the time, relaxing most of it, for more than triple the payment. Yet at school some people mock me while they happily work away flipping burgers? So umm I guess mock away!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:47 PM