Lundgren Vs Bareknuckle Vs ?, Help in finding a humbucker to suit my needs
del-4fr53e3
Dec 27 2009, 08:50 PM
Learning Tone Master
Hello smile.gif

I've been thinking a lot of switching the bridge humbucker in my Caparison TAT SSH guitar. Problem: I have little to no knowledge of pickups.
I got a SD Hot Rail in neck for lead stuff, a Caparison VS-I in middle for clean stuff, and currently a Caparison PH-R in bridge for metal riffs.
This is my main guitar in my band, and we play in Drop C tuning. As the lead guitarist, I play everything from solos to clean parts to metalcore-ish riffs. I'll upload some work-in-progress tabs, as I have no proper recordings.

Spesifications on my guitar is here.
Body is Alder. Neck through.

I've heard of many people putting Bareknuckle pickups, like the Warpig, on Caparison guitars, but I've recently also had a look at other manufacurers, like Lundgren (f.eks the Lundgren M6). I don't know much about pickups at all, so I'm seeking help from others who do smile.gif Do feel free to tell about other manufacturers as well, of course, and examples of models. smile.gif

Thank you very much. biggrin.gif Also, as I said, here are some work-in-progress GP5 tabs.

edit: removed the tabs as topic is growing towards an end, and I don't want wip work just lying around smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: Jan 1 2010, 02:01 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
Sensible Jones
Dec 28 2009, 01:59 PM
GMC:er
My first question would be;-
'Why do you want to change it?'
As in, what doesn't the stock one do that you want it to?

The only reason I ask is that everyone I know that owns (or has owned/used) a Caparison has been extremely pleased with their versatility!

Of course we can recommend Bareknuckle, EMG's, Stan Hinsley's etc but it really depends on what you want as an end product soundwise!
biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 28 2009, 02:29 PM
Learning Tone Master
I don't really get what you want exactly, like SensibleJones said, you don't mention what you don't like about your current pickups and I also don't really get what sounds you want to achieve with which pickup...

Metalcore, leads and clean - your guitar should be able to do those things fairly well! Are you satisfied with the hotrail and the middle coil and want to change the humbucker in the bridge or do you want to swap all pickups?

As for the Bareknuckle High Output humbuckers (as I have tried most of them):

Warpig (alnico): Warm, fat, deep sounding with a lot of output - think of doom metal
Warpig (ceramic): Ultra Brootal, grinding, output mayhem - just extreme - think of death metal
Miracle Man: Tigh bass, screaming high end, a little scooped - think of Melodic Death/Thrash Metal
Painkiller: Uber-Tight, almost percussive, a LOT of mids - think of thrash Metal/Power Metal
Nailbomb: Versatile, just good for almost everything - think of Metal,rock and even blues

The genres I mentioned are just what those pickups excell in, they are so versatile - you can't go wrong with either of them!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Dec 28 2009, 11:41 PM
Learning Tone Master
I'm so sorry, I completely forgot to write what exactly I was after in a new humbucker. And yes, I only want to switch the humbucker, I am very pleased with the other two pickups.

I don't like EMG's. To me, they feel very lifeless.

I want a very high-output hb, tight and with clear low mids. The humbucker I have now is not so tight in low tunings, have good highs and harmonics, but the lows can be muddy. After having talked to some other caparison owners, it might help to mount it direct instead of in the pickup ring, so I will try that before I buy something. It is after all one of the few caparison pickups people tend to keep tongue.gif
Thanks for the run-through on the BNPs Zakk! I'll try out a few things and we'll see. Thanks for the help smile.gif

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: Dec 28 2009, 11:42 PM

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 29 2009, 12:07 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Lundgren (Swedish) isn't aswell known world wide I belive. From what I've heard it should be.

If you want answers, Johan Lundgren is the kind of guy you can describe what you're looking for and he'll suggest a pu to you. He'll even custom make one for you if that's what you want. Put your question to him as detailed as possible and see what response you get. Probably a very precise one smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 31 2009, 01:43 AM
Instructor
I'm not sure I can help you, I haven't tested any of those, but when I want to know about pups that I haven't tested, I usually ask the person that winds them. They are the biggest experts about their own products.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 1 2010, 01:42 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Dec 31 2009, 12:43 AM) *
I'm not sure I can help you, I haven't tested any of those, but when I want to know about pups that I haven't tested, I usually ask the person that winds them. They are the biggest experts about their own products.

+1 to this!
Most 'boutique' Pickup companies will be able to offer advice and even custom winding to your specs!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Jan 1 2010, 02:02 PM
Learning Tone Master
Thanks. I'll drop him a message smile.gif Worst case scenario is that I learn more about pickups! tongue.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:14 PM