> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 2 2015, 02:36 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil!! Yes! This is a enormous improvement! Your take over the backing is much better than the previous takes that you shared and this shows that this is the way to go. Practicing over the backing makes you play with the right rhythm. You still need to feel totally comfortable with the phrases here, but the good news are that you are getting very close.

About the rhythm composition of this solo, yes, it's right that most of the phrases don't start on the first beat of each measure. That's a good trick to let the solo breath. I don't think that you are having important rhythm issues on this take so you are understanding it right.

Keep on the great job!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 2 2015, 07:56 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Gab,

I've been neglecting the Hives lesson recently, lack of self discipline again rolleyes.gif but at least the Darius solo has improved rolleyes.gif . Had a lot of distractions lately, slowly getting back on track but really enjoying this lesson. I like it when they are hard but achievable and that each lesson I can notice something getting better, it's when you hit a brick wall and struggle for weeks that it gets mentally difficult.

Thought I'd share a track with you before I start my lesson this evening, you may have heard it before. I like all of the guitar work on it and the chorus is very catchy. Enjoy.

Lyrics:

Visions, our love is a series of visions
A taste on my lips, a whispering word in your ear
Oh passion, we're children just playing with passion
Losing our grip, falling asleep at the wheel

Still we hold on to the bitter end
Thinking we can never lose
Baby it's a cold night
And the winds of change are blowing

And these are the innocent days
Standing on the rocks, waiting for the tidal waves
Dreaming of love, living inside the lands
I know we're the last of the runaways
Never return, till love takes us home

Lover, we're drowning our doubts in each other
Closing our eyes, we bury the truth in the sand
I cannot take it 'cos when we don't feel it, we fake it
Oh someday these nights come back to haunt us again

Oh we lie here at the water's edge
Wishing we could float away
'Cos it's too late to turn back
When the only bridge is burning

Dreaming of love but living inside the lands
Just tell me these are the innocent days
Never return till love takes us home

Still we hold on to the bitter end
Thinking we can never lose
Baby it's a cold night
And the winds of change are blowing
Oh they're blowing, they're cryin', they're cryin'

Dreaming of love, living inside the lands
Just tell me these are the innocent days
We'll never return till love takes us home
These are the innocent days

UPDATE::

Tonight I got the following section under my fingers. It's a bit scruffy but the finger memory is there smile.gif

E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E
-------------------------------------|-----------------------------|
-------------------------------------|--13--12--13-----------------|
---------------------------12--16--|--------------9--7--9--7--9--|
-----------------------12-----------|-----------------------------|
---------10h--12--/14------------|-----------------------------|
-----10-----------------------------|-----------------------------|

F
--------------------------------|------------------------------------|
--13--12--13-----------------|--13--12--13---------------------|
--------------9--7--9--7--9--|--------------10--9--10--9--10--|
--------------------------------|-----------------------------------|

Dm
-----------------------------------|--------------------------------|
--13--12--13--------------------|--13--12--13--10--8--10--8--10--|
--------------10--9--10--9--10-|--------------------------------|

Esus4add6
---------------------------------------|--12--10--12--------------------|
--13--12--13--10--8--10--8--10--|--------------------------------|
---------------------------------------|--------------10--9--10--9--10--|
---------------------------------------|--------------------------------|

E Am
E E E E E E E E
--10--8--10-----------------|
-------------------------------|
-------------9--7--9--7--9--|

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 3 2015, 05:33 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 3 2015, 04:22 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, thanks for the update and the song (I'll check it later). I hope that you find the way to avoid distractions. Remember that quality is most important than quantity, so 1 hour of focused practice is much more effective than 3 hours with distractions...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 3 2015, 05:31 PM
Thanks Gab,

The distractions have been big and unavoidable, one you know about from our private chats, the others are mainly work related, life gets in the way sometimes plus I've got two weeks in Portugal in two weeks time. That old roller coaster called life eh? rolleyes.gif I don't get distracted during my actual practice because I lock the door and stop incoming calls smile.gif wink.gif but sometimes life/work reduce my practice time rolleyes.gif

I am pleased with current progress with the Darius solo though it just seems to take over once I start, even the alarm on my phone doesn't distract me, I just reset it. huh.gif

Cheers

Ok, Saturday update.

Given myself a kick up the backside. Am now refocused on everything, Hives, Darius, ear training, timing training, I'm back smile.gif

Cheers Gab

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 4 2015, 08:55 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 5 2015, 09:10 PM
Hello Gab,

I tried to edit this into the post above but I don't have the option which is strange as I have edited it before unsure.gif

Been on the Hives lesson tonight, struggling with the chord changes in the A5 D5 F C section. Those chords are new to me so I'll need to spend some time just training my fingers into the shapes.

Been working on the Darius solo too, that is slowly slowly improving. Should get something to you mid week showing my progress on it.

What did you think of the Giant song?

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 5 2015, 09:18 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 6 2015, 12:08 AM
Instructor
Hi Phil, thanks for the update. Yeah, I know about what has been happening in your life lately and I also know that you are working hard. Just wanted to remind you about how important is practicing totally focused, even if you only have 30 minutes.

I've checked the song and they are a very good band, top quality 80's hard rock. I'm not very into this style nowadays but I've heard Whistenake a lot in the past, and that's the first name that comes to mind when I hear this band. Great singer, and great musicians.... it was awesome when this combination was played on radios and tvs. Mainstream music was top quality. Thanks for sharing!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 6 2015, 08:51 PM
Hello Gab,

OK, I've put another piece in the timing workshop.

Here are my answers for the ear training.

1: Minor 3rd (A C)
2: Minor 2nd (A A#)
3: Minor 6th (A F)
4: Minor 7th (A G)
5: Minor 6th (A F)
6: Minor 3rd (A C)
7: Minor 2nd (A A#)
8: Minor 7th (A G)
9: Minor 2nd (A A#)
10: Minor 3rd (A C)

Practised Hives bars 21-28 because the D5 and F chords are new to me played like this so need to get the changes under my fingers.

Also practised the Darius solo and had a go at an idea for the new creativity picture. Menacing vultures flying over a stranded cowboy at dusk smile.gif

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 6 2015, 09:14 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 7 2015, 04:11 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Thanks for the update! I'll wait for your new audios or videos.

The answers for the ear training exercise are perfect. If you want you can start experimenting changing the root and also with harmonic minor intervals since these are the next steps on the workout.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 7 2015, 08:02 PM
Thanks Gab,

I'm struggling to remember the sounds of the intervals BUT, what I am noticing is that I am listening to the notes that you play when they aren't the same as the examples and I say to myself, "hmm, that's about there" and I fret a note and a lot of the time, in this exercise I was only one or two frets out smile.gif For me, this is the most important factor in ear training, I'm not saying I don't want to learn theory because I do, I find it very very interesting but I need to have time on the instrument and these exercises train my ear and put my fingers on the fretboard and train ear/mind/fretboard association, the theory will have to be absorbed as we go along.

I was confused because I always thought that a major 3rd was the third tone in a scale, I found out it is related to the music staff, this makes sense now wink.gif

I have found this site to be really good.

http://ccnmtl.columbia.edu/projects/majmin/lessons.html there are trainers at the bottom of each page.

http://ccnmtl.columbia.edu/projects/majmin/lessons.html

http://www.columbia.edu/itc/music/training...son1/index.html

Do you think I should share this in the ear training thread?

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 8 2015, 06:52 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil,

yes, that's exactly the main idea of the course, connecting your mind with your guitar, so that's why we need to train your ear and if possible your singing, so keep going!

About the exercises, sure! Feel free to share it at the ear training thread! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 9 2015, 09:35 PM
Hello Gab,

Ok the Darius solo again, here I have recorded the first 24 bars with the backing and Darius on panned left and my panned right. The funny noise near the end was when my pick slipped in my fingers. I can hear myself coming in a little bit early at times and the tapped harmonics need work.

This solo takes over my life, all of the tricks I use to get a balanced practise session go out of the window!!! 30 minute interval alarm on phone: switch it off, wife calling me every 30 minutes: tell her to be quiet, alarm clock set in another room: run in and turn it off for ever!!!! I've even tried to put it at the end of the session but then I go on for so long, my wife is saying "goodnight" as she goes to bed, I feel terrible when that happens. For some reason I have to keep having "one more try" rolleyes.gif

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/darius-beginner-solo-first-24-bars-with-darius

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 10 2015, 03:39 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Good job!

I can hear your progress on this one and it's based on hard work! Well done!! This off course needs to be polished yet, but the notes are there, you just have to focus on expression details as vibrato, bending, and the sound of each note.

It would be also interesting to tweak a bit your tone, there is some high frequency info there that is no sounding very good, it makes the tone sound like by line... what set up are you using for this one?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 10 2015, 08:07 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 10 2015, 03:39 PM) *
it makes the tone sound like by line

Thanks Gab,

Yes I have worked hard but at the expense of the Hives, I guess I lean more towards lead playing than rhythm but I will get back on it. I am trying to learn this whole piece because I fly out to Portugal on July 18th for two weeks and won't have access to a guitar sad.gif I know it needs lots of polishing but I will do that once it is under my fingers. I love playing the first bend, (B to C) and releasing it along with the backing, it does something to me wub.gif

I can hear that the tone is more fizzy than Darius, but when he plays that B to C bend it seems to brighten up, maybe a very slight pinch harmonic is what he does there??? I could lower the treble on the amp or the guitar or maybe switch to neck pickup? Too many combinations laugh.gif laugh.gif

Ok, setup is.

Bridge pickup, tone up full, volume up full.

You mentioned Whitesnake, my wife and I have seen them live many many times from small to large venues. I've put a couple of my favourites here, from the earlier days with some cheeky lyrics wink.gif

You talk too much
Never saying what's on your mind
It's written on your face
And in the words you hide behind

I know what you want
I can see what you're looking for
I know what you want from me
And I'm gonna give you more

I'm gonna slide it in right to the top
Slide it in, I ain't never gonna stop
Slide it in right to the top
I'm gonna slide it in, slide it in, slide it in baby

Sometimes you seem
Just like a stranger to me
But all the games you play
Make it so easy to see

You're looking for love
Though you try to deny
The things you put me through
Tell me what I've got to do to you

I'm gonna slide it in, slide it

You talk too much
Always treating me so unkind
I know what I've got to do
To get me some peace of mind

I'm gonna slide it in, slide it in

I'm gonna slide it in, slide it in, slide it
Slide it in, slide it in
Right to the top, baby

I never knew what a kiss could mean
Until the first time I kissed you
You took my love in the palm of your hand
An' showed me what a woman could do

Now I don't want sugar coated loving
Just silver tongue tenderness
You gotta give me a certain satisfaction
The kind of love you seal with a kiss

An' spit it out, spit it out, spit it out
If you don't like it
Spit it out, spit it out, spit it out
If you don't like it

I can remember, I can recall
When I first set my eyes on you
I'll never forget the thrill of it all
Dreaming of the things we could do

Baby, you must be crazy
Fooling with a man like me
'Cause I roll my dice with a heart of ice
An' make it clear to see

If you don't like it
If you don't like it

I never knew what a kiss could mean
'Til the first time I kissed you
You took my love in the palm of your hand
An' showed me what a woman could do

Your sweet caress an' tenderness
Can take the pain away
The things that you do make a queen out of you
An' make me a king for a day

If you don't like it, spit it out

Now I know what your love can do
I'll be hanging 'round your door
An' I'm gonna love you baby
I'm gonna give you more than you bargained for

If you don't like it
If you don't like it

Spit it out
Spit it out
Spit it out

I've put this one in from a little later on, purely because Tawny Kitaen is stunning in this video wink.gif

Thanks again for all of your help Gab, I really appreciate it. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 10 2015, 09:01 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 12 2015, 01:46 AM
Instructor
Great band Whitesnake!! We played with Cirse in a festival where there biggest acts were Whitesnake and Aerosmith. It was a killer night full of rock and guitar solos! My favorite album is 1987.

About your tone, I think that the problem start with the amp choice which is too metal for this kind of tune. Try to use something less metal that has more "body" and less high noise... does it make sense?

Your tone will sound cleaner but with sustain, and with good mids.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 12 2015, 01:00 PM
Ok thanks Gab,

I'll have a mess around tonight, cheers.

Just to let you know, I have cancelled my monthly membership subscription that ends early August and I am taking out a yearly subscription instead. I am committed to this and I am enjoying our journey even though things take me a long time to learn rolleyes.gif

So you're stuck with me for at least another year mate laugh.gif tongue.gif

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 12 2015, 06:58 PM
Instructor
hahaha congratulations mate! I'm happy to know this. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 12 2015, 08:36 PM
Ok Gab,

Changed to a Marshall type amp and left everything else. This is just a quick piece, I didn't practise first so it's scruffy but it's a tone test more than anything.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/tone-test

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 13 2015, 03:26 PM
Instructor
This is sounding better. I'm not totally convinced of the mic choice and position, what did you used?

and also, could you please share a print screen with the whole patch?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 13 2015, 09:06 PM
Hello Gab,

I don't know anything about mic and mic position so I just leave it as it is. I've put some stuff in the timing and creativity workshops. Here is my patch, I used the same as before but called up a different amp.

Cheers

Cheers Gab.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 14 2015, 05:23 PM
Instructor
Ah, the fist thing that I would try is another cabinet since you still have the metal there. Also, I would change one of those mics and use one that looks like the SM57, I don't know the name used on this plug in but it will look close to this one:

Attached Image

https://youtu.be/jfEh79A0b0U

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:45 AM