3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Intermediate Bushido Task 3
Ben Higgins
Feb 9 2012, 11:41 AM
Instructor
Greetings to the largest group in this icy Temple ! If you have watched the advanced group with relief, thinking 'I'm glad I don't have to do that..' then it's your lucky day because I am giving you a great gift - an opportunity to work on a very challenging picking lesson. Yes, as you may have guessed, picking / hand synchronisation is the general theme for the time being. wink.gif

Task 3: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Killer...kk-Wylde-Style/ Record and upload your take of this lesson by next Thursday 16th February.

I know what you're thinking... 'Thank you Sensei !!' biggrin.gif

Well, I aim to please smile.gif

However, I don't want your focus to be speed.. I want it to be (guess what) hand synchronisation and timing accuracy. So, I expect takes to be submitted at a lower tempo. You can play it as slowly as you need to but no faster than 120bpm.

Some of you may have already attempted this lesson so if you want to do something different then take your pick from either the Beginner or Advanced Tasks this week, adjusting speed to suit your level..

So.. timing, hand synch is the focus. Try not to rush in front of the beat or lag behind it. You're the intermediate group - make me proud ! ph34r.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gregc1
Feb 9 2012, 02:05 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Ben. You're too cruel. biggrin.gif I did check out the advannced lesson last week and thought to myself "poor bastards". Then I check this morning and find this.

Seriously though, I'm glad I came across this course because all three of the tasks so far are hitting on some of my weakest areas. Good stuff Prof. Higgins. wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Feb 9 2012, 02:45 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hey mates, since I had this lesson previous week, I'd like to share some experiences with this Task, so you don't make the same mistakes as I did. smile.gif

When you feel the pain in your left wrist, stop playing immediately. I did a mistake of playing more and more, with a rather stupid excuse of "not wanting to cool down, now that I'm warmed up". Bad thing to do, because injury will surely stop you from playing at least 1-2 days. smile.gif

When I first started this lesson, there way absolutely no way I could play it even at 50% speed. So I advise you to set up metronome to be reeeealy slow until you memorize all the notes and patterns (maybe 20% - 30% of the speed). When you can play the Task perfectly (no matter which speed), it will be really easy to speed up! And yes, it will probably be boring to play it so slowly but remember that it will be so cool once when you're able to play it faster, so don't give up wink.gif

I think the most important thing about this Task (which actually gives you speed) is memorizing exactly which finger plays which note! It is very important to "assign" each finger to each note - most of the time you'll probably be playing with your index and ring finger, but there are some situations where you'll have to use the pinky. Your "finger assignment" doesn't have to be the same as in the video, but the important thing is - when you decide which fingering you will use, stick with it! Changing fingers in the middle of the lesson confuses you and you can't play fast enough.

I divided the Task in three parts: The first ascending one is the easiest, the second (descending) is a bit harder, and the third (ascending) is the hardest, because you need to play palm muted low strings. I found this part to be easier when I hit the lower strings a bit harder, but here you have to be extra careful because it will hurt your wrist the most.

I hope these tips will help you mates, and best of luck in completing this one! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Dinaga: Feb 9 2012, 02:45 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
gregc1
Feb 9 2012, 02:55 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Dinaga @ Feb 9 2012, 01:45 PM) *
Hey mates, since I had this lesson previous week, I'd like to share some experiences with this Task, so you don't make the same mistakes as I did. smile.gif

When you feel the pain in your left wrist, stop playing immediately. I did a mistake of playing more and more, with a rather stupid excuse of "not wanting to cool down, now that I'm warmed up". Bad thing to do, because injury will surely stop you from playing at least 1-2 days. smile.gif

When I first started this lesson, there way absolutely no way I could play it even at 50% speed. So I advise you to set up metronome to be reeeealy slow until you memorize all the notes and patterns (maybe 20% - 30% of the speed). When you can play the Task perfectly (no matter which speed), it will be really easy to speed up! And yes, it will probably be boring to play it so slowly but remember that it will be so cool once when you're able to play it faster, so don't give up wink.gif

I think the most important thing about this Task (which actually gives you speed) is memorizing exactly which finger plays which note! It is very important to "assign" each finger to each note - most of the time you'll probably be playing with your index and ring finger, but there are some situations where you'll have to use the pinky. Your "finger assignment" doesn't have to be the same as in the video, but the important thing is - when you decide which fingering you will use, stick with it! Changing fingers in the middle of the lesson confuses you and you can't play fast enough.

I divided the Task in three parts: The first ascending one is the easiest, the second (descending) is a bit harder, and the third (ascending) is the hardest, because you need to play palm muted low strings. I found this part to be easier when I hit the lower strings a bit harder, but here you have to be extra careful because it will hurt your wrist the most.

I hope these tips will help you mates, and best of luck in completing this one! smile.gif

Thanks Dinaga! Really appreciate the tips man. I actually read through you guy's advanced thread and if I'm not mistaken I believe you mentioned that this "task" really helped you out. Like you, I can't even fathom doing this at full speed right now or even 60-70% for that matter but like the others I will start slow and work my way up. I'm encouraged watching your video you posted over there because honestly it seemed effortless for you. If I can get halfway or close to where you had it this week I'll be thrilled.

Thanks again!

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Feb 9 2012, 03:35 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
** poor bastards ** wink wink!! biggrin.gif

Hehe, jokes aside, don't forget to check advanced task 2 thread. I have shared my experience as well. The fingering on the lower strings can really get complicated.

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 9 2012, 03:40 PM
Instructor

Yes.. one thing I like to do when I feel myself getting tired is go and put the guitar down and just sit down in my chair for a while, not doing anything. Not massaging my wrists or anything.. just sit and let everything relax. Think about something completely unrelated to guitar playing too. Do this for about 2 or 3 mins then go back to the guitar. It's a mental and physical break. smile.gif

Diniga, you must be able to read my mind ! I spoke about this exact thing in my last video chat.

One thing that makes us trip up is when we're not sure what finger combination we're using for certain passages. This can cause hesitation in your fretting hand which will slow you down or make you stumble. Good advice D-Man ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
superize
Feb 9 2012, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Thank you sensei for this great opportunity

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
gregc1
Feb 9 2012, 04:01 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (maharzan @ Feb 9 2012, 02:35 PM) *
** poor bastards ** wink wink!! biggrin.gif

Hehe, jokes aside, don't forget to check advanced task 2 thread. I have shared my experience as well. The fingering on the lower strings can really get complicated.

I know, talk about a big ol' fat karma slap. blink.gif biggrin.gif

I'll definitely read back through the advanced thread and grab any tips I can. I'll use you and Dinaga for inspiration. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Feb 9 2012, 04:05 PM
Learning Roadie
I suck so much with 2 nps even more so than 3 nps.

Tthe focus on this will either do wonders for my pentatonics or crush my self esteem so much I drop out of society and live in a box.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
maharzan
Feb 9 2012, 04:34 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
All I know is if you practice till the end of the week, you will come out as winners. You can just become better, I guarantee!!

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Feb 9 2012, 05:09 PM
GMC:er
Thank you Sensei Ben for this glorious opportunity to put into perspective the immense quality of my 'Suck-age Quotient"!
ohmy.gif

I am intending to get this to speeds around 120 BBN (Beats Between notes) I reckon I can just about manage that kind of pyrotechnics!!
tongue.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 9 2012, 06:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Feb 9 2012, 03:05 PM) *
I suck so much with 2 nps even more so than 3 nps.

Tthe focus on this will either do wonders for my pentatonics or crush my self esteem so much I drop out of society and live in a box.

Hey don't worry.. so do I ! In fact, so do many of us ! smile.gif

Don't run for that box just yet ! wink.gif

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Feb 9 2012, 04:09 PM) *
Thank you Sensei Ben for this glorious opportunity to put into perspective the immense quality of my 'Suck-age Quotient"!
ohmy.gif

I am intending to get this to speeds around 120 BBN (Beats Between notes) I reckon I can just about manage that kind of pyrotechnics!!
tongue.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Haha.. well I don't like to keep saying how generous I am but... I like to give you guys these opportunities to shine !

Beats Between Notes - that's a brilliant concept ! I think it will become popular in ambient shred maybe ? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Feb 9 2012, 07:25 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 9 2012, 05:26 PM) *
Haha.. well I don't like to keep saying how generous I am but... I like to give you guys these opportunities to shine !

Beats Between Notes - that's a brilliant concept ! I think it will become popular in ambient shred maybe ? biggrin.gif

Ambient Shred!! Hahahah!! laugh.gif laugh.gif
I am going to perfect that style before long!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Feb 9 2012, 08:29 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Thank you very much Sensei, you are too kind. You could have given us a level 8, 9 or even 10 lesson. But you are kind hearted and give us a short break, a little time to breath with this manageable level 7 lesson.

*regular Christian mode on*

Are you ******* kidding us? This is way beyond our reach...or the reach of most of us! Did you misread all our names? Did you read "Todd Simpson" 15 times or more often???

*regular Christian mode off*

*bushido Christian mode on*

This is gonna be awesome even at a slower tempo, these licks are so effective and

*regular Christian interrupts* I can impress chicks with the pentatonics even at 100 or 120 bpm!

*Christian's voice of reason on* This guy spends way too much time with these weird guitar people, I should try to regain power and call a psychotherapist...

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 9 2012, 08:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Feb 9 2012, 07:29 PM) *
Thank you very much Sensei, you are too kind. You could have given us a level 8, 9 or even 10 lesson. But you are kind hearted and give us a short break, a little time to breath with this manageable level 7 lesson.

Are you ******* kidding us? This is way beyond our reach...or the reach of most of us! Did you misread all our names? Did you read "Todd Simpson" 15 times or more often???

*regular Christian mode off*

*bushido Christian mode on*

This is gonna be awesome even at a slower tempo, these licks are so effective and

*regular Christian interrupts* I can impress chicks with the pentatonics even at 100 or 120 bpm!

*Christian's voice of reason on* This guy spends way too much time with these weird guitar people, I should try to regain power and call a psychotherapist...

laugh.gif The Many Voices of Christian.. a new, powerful and emotive drama coming soon to a cinema near you !

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Feb 9 2012, 08:41 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 9 2012, 08:32 PM) *
laugh.gif The Many Voices of Christian.. a new, powerful and emotive drama coming soon to a cinema near you !

laugh.gif

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Feb 9 2012, 09:27 PM
Thinking about Ambient Shred.....
I'll provide the Ambient if you want to add some shred???
wink.gif

[attachment=26225:Ambientl...ensible..mp3]

(This was actually written for a Channel 4 TV Show)
smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Feb 9 2012, 09:36 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Feb 9 2012, 08:29 PM) *

See, I told you he threw that snowball! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Feb 9 2012, 09:50 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
QUOTE (Dinaga @ Feb 9 2012, 09:36 PM) *
See, I told you he threw that snowball! laugh.gif

You just got yourself in big trouble, boy!! laugh.gif
We students should stick together to make Sensei's temple our own one day!

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Feb 9 2012, 09:59 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Feb 9 2012, 09:50 PM) *
You just got yourself in big trouble, boy!! laugh.gif
We students should stick together to make Sensei's temple our own one day!

But... but... It was only a snowflake! Or... a snowball! blink.gif unsure.gif And it wasn't even big mellow.gif

Well... damn.

*runs*

This post has been edited by Dinaga: Feb 9 2012, 10:06 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:33 PM