Grounding Issue With Pickups?
Todd Simpson
Jan 18 2013, 03:31 PM
GMC:er
I've recently figured out I"ve got a HORRIBLE grounding problem on my Precious Ibanez 560. sad.gif It's generating crazy noise/buzz and the grounding wire near the trem is loose and moving it kills or starts the buzzing. sad.gif It's an ancient guitar so It's to be expected. Going to miss it as I"m going to take it to a great tech at Guitar Center for some fixing.

QUESTION: Anyone else ever had grounding/buzz issues from pickups?

Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 18 2013, 06:12 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Very interesting thread Todd - I'm looking forward to learning more about this issue.
My Jazz bass does tend to pick up noise from time to time but I have no clue what is causing it. Sometimes there is noise - sometimes none!

Usually, I solve it by moving away from electronics (Computer, speakers etc) - when I'm recording.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 18 2013, 06:35 PM
Not personally, but youd be surprised at the number of times I'm brought a guitar with the words 'It's constantly buzzing and I don't know why!"!!
First question I ask is "Who did the pickup replacement?"
If the answer is "I did it myself." the first course of action is to open up the scratchplate and check all the Grounds and connections are decently soldered AND that (in the case of H/Buckers) that the Coil Split ends are TAPED UP AND OUT OF THE WAY, OR CONNECTED WHERE THEY SHOULD BE!!!

If I had a £/$ for every time I've seen the Split Wire just loose to ground out on any part of the electronics I'd be a very rich fella!!!!
laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jan 19 2013, 12:54 AM
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jan 18 2013, 05:35 PM) *
Not personally, but youd be surprised at the number of times I'm brought a guitar with the words 'It's constantly buzzing and I don't know why!"!!
First question I ask is "Who did the pickup replacement?"
If the answer is "I did it myself." the first course of action is to open up the scratchplate and check all the Grounds and connections are decently soldered AND that (in the case of H/Buckers) that the Coil Split ends are TAPED UP AND OUT OF THE WAY, OR CONNECTED WHERE THEY SHOULD BE!!!

If I had a £/$ for every time I've seen the Split Wire just loose to ground out on any part of the electronics I'd be a very rich fella!!!!
laugh.gif laugh.gif

This sounds like my kind of wiring. laugh.gif In fact one of my guitars (that I wired) all of a sudden started making a huge amount of noise unless you touch the metal case on my cord's plug. Haven't had a chance to take a look inside yet. Obviously something came loose hard to believe with my amazing soldering skills. rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jan 19 2013, 01:09 AM
Instructor
Grounding is the smallest problem for this phenomenon. Much more problematic is how to find :

Heheh, I'm not some scientist, but seems that a Faraday cage and the density of the magnetic field strongly affects on the reduction of buzz/noise issues. Try this test - Turn on the amplifier and guitar, and when the buzz starts try to slowly rotate yourself around your axis along with a guitar! In one position buzzing will stop !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 19 2013, 03:31 AM
Instructor
I haven't had a problem like this for many years... since I got an Ibanez RG520 in 1999, and then my Gibson Les Paul in 2006, and then the Fernandes Monterrey in 2011, none of there guitars had any problems with the pick ups. But I'm sure that the Guitar Center technicians will solve that problem! it usually appears with very old guitars/pick ups.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 21 2013, 11:06 AM
Instructor
Here's what my guitar was equipped with by the previous owner, in order to handle this issue smile.gif

The little wire which is welded takes care of the noise!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jan 21 2013, 01:00 PM
Learning Roadie
No one has asked the most important question, Are the pickups P90's?

If so they're meant to buzz, especially with the high gain settings you use Todd!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 21 2013, 01:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jan 21 2013, 12:00 PM) *

If so they're meant to buzz, especially with the high gain settings you use Todd!

Mine are DiMarzio Paf Pro

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 21 2013, 02:05 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 21 2013, 10:06 AM) *
Here's what my guitar was equipped with by the previous owner, in order to handle this issue smile.gif

The little wire which is welded takes care of the noise!

There should always be a Ground Wire soldered to the Bridge!
wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 21 2013, 02:33 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jan 21 2013, 01:05 PM) *
There should always be a Ground Wire soldered to the Bridge!
wink.gif

I also found this: http://www.ehow.com/way_5792775_ways-groun...ric-guitar.html

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 21 2013, 02:37 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 21 2013, 01:33 PM) *

That just about sums it all up! Good article!
smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
osiris
Jan 21 2013, 08:17 PM
I have the same problem with a SD Custom. Who did the wiring? Ehhhm, me...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 22 2013, 09:15 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (osiris @ Jan 21 2013, 07:17 PM) *
I have the same problem with a SD Custom. Who did the wiring? Ehhhm, me...

SD Custom? What sort of an axe is that man?

+Quote Post
osiris
Jan 22 2013, 04:49 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 22 2013, 09:15 AM) *
SD Custom? What sort of an axe is that man?

That's the pickup (Seymour Duncan Custom). It's mounted in a Cort M520: http://www.flickr.com/photos/andersbornhol...57605035570014/

(pics from before the switch)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 23 2013, 11:22 AM
Instructor
Aaahahaa biggrin.gif silly me tongue.gif I was thinking that the SD was the guitar ..

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 24 2013, 01:40 AM
My bridge pickup is a Stock Ibby pickup for the RG560 and it's grounding wire has come loose. I'm going to have it re-soldered and have a tech look at the rest of the electronics. This guitar is about 20 YEARS OLD so it's ancient and needs some love wink.gif

Todd

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jan 21 2013, 07:00 AM) *

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 24 2013, 01:59 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 24 2013, 12:40 AM) *
This guitar is about 20 YEARS OLD so it's ancient and needs some love wink.gif

Todd

We ALL need a little more love as we get older mate!!!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 24 2013, 08:49 AM
Instructor
My Jem is very old as well, so that's why I avoid playing it too much. Gonna get me a new PRS that will be kept in standard tuning, at the end of this month, so that I may hang the JEM on the wall for good as a great piece of history that it is smile.gif

+Quote Post
MHD Pickups
Jan 25 2013, 08:02 PM
Another thing I see constantly, is people do not do a series ground. If you run a constsnt ground from pot to pot, this will help.

P-90 are not made ti hum or buzz they are Gibsons version of a Tele neck pickup. The design is the same only the coil structure is a bit different. A well built P-90 or Single coil of any kind will be very quiet. Yeah there is always the flourescent issue, but I run 3 of them directly over head in my shop and have very little issue with hum,/buzzing even at heavy gain and volumes.

--------------------
http://mhd-pickups.com/

https://www.facebook.com/mhd.pickups

DC DOES NOT EQUAL OUTPUT. Dc is a resistance value and that is all. It WILL NOT tell you what it will sound like, it WILL NOT make you sound like another player.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:02 PM