C Major Phrasing Around Root Notes, a couple of questions
Blister
May 27 2011, 01:33 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
HI Ivan,

I'm enjoying working on the C Major Phrasing lesson & I hope you don't mind a few possibly stupid questions. (The lesson did say it was geared towards beginners, of which, I consider myself one - eh, maybe just above beginner)

In regards to the scale from G going down to G (at 19 to 22 seconds in the lesson):

Is it normal when doing scales (that you are not used to) for it to be harder going back down the scale than it is to go up?

I am using the metronome & have got my speed up to 135 bpm for that scale (playing every other note on the beat). Since the main tempo is 85 bpm, I assume I have to get my speed up to 170 bpm (again, playing every other note on the beat) to be at tempo, correct?

I am going to try a theory question here, is this particular scale a mixolydian scale?

By going G - E - F - D - E - C ... etc., is this what is meant by the term, "intervals"?

Thank you so much! smile.gif

Gary

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
Ivan Milenkovic
May 28 2011, 05:20 PM
Instructor
Hey Gary,

Those are actually some very good observations! smile.gif

In regards to the scale from G going down to G (at 19 to 22 seconds in the lesson):

Is it normal when doing scales (that you are not used to) for it to be harder going back down the scale than it is to go up?

Yes, it's a very common issue! smile.gif Don't worry, with time and practice it will get better, just try to do runs downward more often.

I am using the metronome & have got my speed up to 135 bpm for that scale (playing every other note on the beat). Since the main tempo is 85 bpm, I assume I have to get my speed up to 170 bpm (again, playing every other note on the beat) to be at tempo, correct?

This question concerns note durations and some simple mathematics! biggrin.gif

- Time signature of the lesson is 4/4 which means there are 4 quarter notes within a bar.
- Your metronome ticks 4 quarters
- When you play 135bpm, and you play every other note, you play eight notes @ 135bpm
- If you want to play sixteen notes (which are the half value of eight notes) @ 85, then YES - you need to be able to play eight notes @ 85x2= 170bpm

Your method of practicing is very good, because you are on slower tempos, simply by using eight notes instead of sixteen ones, which will give you more low tempo range (hope it makes sense!) smile.gif

I am going to try a theory question here, is this particular scale a mixolydian scale?

Correct! smile.gif Mixolydian scale (or Mixolydian mode) is the scale that builds on V degree of major scale. We are in the key of C major, and V degree of C major scale is G. This note builds G mixolydian scale. G mixolydian is not that different from G major scale, it only has flatted 7th note.

By going G - E - F - D - E - C ... etc., is this what is meant by the term, "intervals"?

Intervals are spaces between the notes, they can be whole step and half step. Here is example of displaying intervals:

G - A - B = C - D - E = F - G

symbol "-" is whole step, and symbol "=" is half step. Whole step is distance of two frets on the neck, and half step is distance of one fret (two frets next to each other) on the neck. If you check out piano keys for example, you will quickly notice where there are half steps (there are no black keys in between white ones there!) smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: May 28 2011, 05:20 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Blister
May 28 2011, 06:42 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 28 2011, 12:20 PM) *
Your method of practicing is very good, because you are on slower tempos, simply by using eight notes instead of sixteen ones, which will give you more low tempo range (hope it makes sense!) smile.gif

Yep, makes perfect sense. I like using the metronome & start slow (where I can play the phrase) then slowly speed it up til it's mastered.

I was really impressed you remembered my real name when I made it to the chat on Sunday! biggrin.gif

I really appreciate your time, help & encouragement!

Gary F.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 28 2011, 07:29 PM
Instructor
Thanks a lot Gary! smile.gif

If there's anything you need, just let me know! smile.gif

Ivan

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 01:48 AM