Kahler Tremelos
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 21 2007, 04:41 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Does anyone have any experience of Kahler Tremeloes? They got a good review in Sound on Sound magazine this month and I was wondering how they compare to a Floyd Rose. Now I have my Variax, I am thinking of hot-rodding my Stock Fender Strat Plus with some new pickups (I'll be asking advice on that some other time no doubt!) and a new tremolo, and probably a graphite nut and other doodads.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
j78
Feb 22 2007, 03:31 PM
GMC:er
Hey Andy,

well I don't have any first hand experience of a Kahler trem, but I did a brief look-around the internet and asked some guitar shop tech's about both Floyd and Kahler, before I bought my very first guitar with tremolo.

I don't know if this will help you, but here is what I found:

Kahler's are top mounted, which means that you do not have to make a large cavity on your guitar body.

And as Kahler's are not really floating trems in the same sense as Floyd's, they do not suffer from going out of tune if you'd break a string.
This also means that Kahler's are steady in tune/pitch even during heavy palm-muting, while Floyd's tend to go up in pitch due to the pressure of your palm against the bridge.

The other strings will not go out of tune if you bend one single string, as opposed to the Floyd where bending a string causes the other strings to go out of tune.

But on the other hand, the dual pivot construction of Floyd's allow for more extreme action of the bridge, e.g dive-bombs.

Floyd's are by many considered as smoother and not as stiff as Kahlers.

Apparently, Floyd's are also less maintenance-demanding as the Kahler, and much easier to find spare parts for, if anything would break.

But please note that the above statements are based on what I found on the internet and what different guitar techs have told me. (So feel free to correct me if you'd find anything wrong) As I have no experience of Kahler's, I can't verify everything, but I guess it all comes down to personal preference.

I myself ended up with a Floyd equipped guitar, but not for any particular reason. It just so happened that the guitar that I wanted to buy had a Floyd. That's it.

Hope this is helpful to you.
/J78

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by j78: Feb 22 2007, 03:49 PM

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 22 2007, 03:45 PM
QUOTE (j78 @ Feb 22 2007, 09:31 AM) *
Hope this is helpful to you.

Extremely! Thanks smile.gif

I'm not an extreme bender, so what you have said confirms that the Kahler might be good for what I want ...

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Feb 22 2007, 03:46 PM

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
j78
Feb 22 2007, 03:56 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Feb 22 2007, 03:45 PM) *
Extremely! Thanks smile.gif

I'm not an extreme bender, so what you have said confirms that the Kahler might be good for what I want ...

You're welcome!
I'm sure Kahler would be a good choice for you.
The fact that you don't have to make a big hole in the guitar body sounds pretty nice, if you'd happen to change your mind in the future.

/J78

+Quote Post
buckjones
Feb 22 2007, 08:36 PM
andrew -

i don't know to much about the kahlers but i have had plenty of experience with the floyd's and i've never been a big fan of how quick they can go out of tune when bending or anything... i have to go with j78 on this one... i've heard about the kahlers from from a lot of guitar "aficionados" and i've heard much the same as j78 said... plus if i were you i DEFINITELY would not want to put a big hole in my strat if i had one!!! hahaha

nate

--------------------
See profile for gear...

Tim Mahoney makes my day.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 22 2007, 08:46 PM
QUOTE (buckjones @ Feb 22 2007, 02:36 PM) *
andrew -

i don't know to much about the kahlers but i have had plenty of experience with the floyd's and i've never been a big fan of how quick they can go out of tune when bending or anything... i have to go with j78 on this one... i've heard about the kahlers from from a lot of guitar "aficionados" and i've heard much the same as j78 said... plus if i were you i DEFINITELY would not want to put a big hole in my strat if i had one!!! hahaha

nate

Thanks! Yes, a hole is out - maybe if it was a Squire or something cheap, but it is the Genuine article, and I want to improve it, not potentially destroy it!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:15 PM