Holding the Pick this way...is it wrong?, Picking Problems??Help plz
Infused
Feb 8 2007, 11:09 PM
GMC:er
Ok well ive played guitar for about 4 years now. I can play very well, I have great tone and style looks great But Ive always had problems with speed picking and Arpeggios. I cant seem to get it down smooth. Did I learn to play while holding the pick the wrong way or what?Could it possible be the way that I hold my pick? I see that most of my friends hold it at a downwards angel.. (like shown it Kristof's alternate picking basics video). While I hold my pick at the opposite angel. Is there anyone out there would can give me some advice.

MY pick= /
Friends pick = \

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
jete124
Feb 8 2007, 11:22 PM
QUOTE (Infused @ Feb 8 2007, 05:09 PM) *
Ok well ive played guitar for about 4 years now. I can play very well, I have great tone and style looks great But Ive always had problems with speed picking and Arpeggios. I cant seem to get it down smooth. Did I learn to play while holding the pick the wrong way or what?Could it possible be the way that I hold my pick? I see that most of my friends hold it at a downwards angel.. (like shown it Kristof's alternate picking basics video). While I hold my pick at the opposite angel. Is there anyone out there would can give me some advice.
MY pick= /
Friends pick = \

Your way is not the generally used way but there is no real wrong way to hold a pick as long as its comfortable for you.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 9 2007, 08:47 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I think this subject is often waved off too easily by saying "if it's comfortable it's right". That's not entierly true. I held my pick in a "comfortable" way for 14-15 years but it wasn't until I changed and started to hold it RIGHT that I increased my accuracy and was even able to start with speed picking.

Everything is relative, right? So if you don't know the right way to hold it everything less than that which can produce some sound will become "comfortable".

So I suggest you look at others and try to adopt that way. Since you started off in one way already it may feel uncomfortable at first, that's the downside... you won't feel secure since the new way will suck at first.

Even Paul Gilbert held the prick wrong for 7 years according to himself. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Jazzie
Feb 10 2007, 11:12 AM
Infused-

I hold my pick in the same manner as you do! It feels comfortable that way. The only problem I have sometimes is, when playing fast (or attempting to!) I have a problem with hitting the strings cleanly! I sometimes hit open or deadened strings. I am working on trying to rectify that! I am also not sure if holding it this way is right or just another bad habbit that is hard to break!!!

l8ter
Jazzie

+Quote Post
dogman
Feb 10 2007, 01:48 PM
QUOTE (Infused @ Feb 8 2007, 05:09 PM) *
Is there anyone out there would can give me some advice.
MY pick= /
Friends pick = \

Well, I have the same problem. And after playing for 5 years holding the pick the same way as you do which feels right I also found that I never could cleanly pick extremely fast riffs and seemed to get caught between strings alot. This was the first thing I learned from kris when I joined here a few months ago. So now I have been concentrating on my pick holding and going back to the basics.

This has been very hard and frustrating for me and I refer it as the suck mode...lol. alot of practice and it sucks because it's like learning all over again (and sounds like it too sometimes) for me but it's getting there.

Hey, no pain no laugh.gif gain huh...lol

+Quote Post
Jazzie
Feb 10 2007, 03:35 PM
QUOTE (dogman @ Feb 10 2007, 01:48 PM) *
Well, I have the same problem. And after playing for 5 years holding the pick the same way as you do which feels right I also found that I never could cleanly pick extremely fast riffs and seemed to get caught between strings alot. This was the first thing I learned from kris when I joined here a few months ago. So now I have been concentrating on my pick holding and going back to the basics.

This has been very hard and frustrating for me and I refer it as the suck mode...lol. alot of practice and it sucks because it's like learning all over again (and sounds like it too sometimes) for me but it's getting there.

Hey, no pain no laugh.gif gain huh...lol

I hear that! I was practicing the other way around and your right, it is harder to do it that way, since I am so used to holding that way. And it is like starting over again! tongue.gif

l8ter
Jazzie

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:53 PM