Looking For Certain Guitar Effect, Sound of Saliva
Rooks
Jun 26 2008, 03:49 PM
GMC:er
Hello GMC'ers

I didn't exactly know if to put this in the bands or in the gear section, but I think its mostly gear. huh.gif

I'm playing electric guitar, (not for very long but hey) and I want to ask you guys how to best achieve a sound similar to the rythm guitar in the band Saliva.. I know its pretty wide area, but maybe someone with some experience could pinpoint a pedal or who-knows-what that would at least be in the same direction.

Because I don't think I can afford the entire Saliva rig with guitar, amp, top and so on ..

At the moment, all I got for effects is a good allround Boss DS-1 pedal, but its not quite "crunchy" enough to play Saliva, in my opinion.

Any good advice out there?

Thanks up front!

(By the way, if I happen to have done something terribly unforgivable, Im all new to the forum so please cut some slack smile.gif )

Rooks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear: Guitar Cort EVL X4 , Squier Strat Amp Peavey Valveking 112 50w
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rockztar
Jun 26 2008, 04:37 PM
would say a EHX metal MUff..... Saliva is metal right?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
PRS CE24 Amber
Yamaha C40

Amp:
Marshall dsl 401

Effect:
dd-6, cs-3, Emma ReezaFRATzitz - morley wah- rc-2

Guthrie Govan, Thomas blug, alex hutchings and many others

+Quote Post
Rooks
Jun 26 2008, 04:41 PM
QUOTE (rockztar @ Jun 26 2008, 04:37 PM) *
would say a EHX metal MUff..... Saliva is metal right?

Saliva can mostly be defined as metal, Yes smile.gif

I don't know the EHX metal Muff, but ill check it out. Thanks wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 26 2008, 06:12 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Never heard of them before but I had a listen at youtube and this is my guess. Regretfully no pictures of their gear.

A Marshall Jackhammer pedal and a guitar with EMG81 pickup(s) (Or one EMG85) or at least some other fat humbuckers.

The sound is more Mesa Boogie like (american type) than british but I'm positive the Jackhammer will be just great wink.gif

+Quote Post
Rooks
Jun 26 2008, 06:26 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jun 26 2008, 06:12 PM) *
Never heard of them before but I had a listen at youtube and this is my guess. Regretfully no pictures of their gear.

A Marshall Jackhammer pedal and a guitar with EMG81 pickup(s) (Or one EMG85) or at least some other fat humbuckers.

The sound is more Mesa Boogie like (american type) than british but I'm positive the Jackhammer will be just great wink.gif

Thats my general problem at first laugh.gif Saliva is not very known outside the US

And my second problem, that I can't find any info on their gear setup. All I know is that they use Marshall amps for concerts, and i heard a loose rumour about their rythm guitar player use Diamond amp in studio. But thats it.

Thanks for the answer, I'll check out the Jackhammer too smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jun 26 2008, 06:33 PM
Learning Tone Master
What gear do you already have (guitar,amp...) so we will know what we are dealing with and can give you a better advice

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Kizaze44
Jun 26 2008, 06:36 PM
Rooks,

I've looked into learning a couple of Saliva songs. One thing I noticed - they play mostly Drop D tuning - that will get you a little closer to the sound (if you haven't already noticed the Drop D)

-Kiz

+Quote Post
Rooks
Jun 26 2008, 07:24 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jun 26 2008, 06:33 PM) *
What gear do you already have (guitar,amp...) so we will know what we are dealing with and can give you a better advice

Hey smile.gif At the moment i play a Squier Strat through a TraceElliot Boxer 65 Amp. And With DS-1 for effect.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jun 26 2008, 07:31 PM
Learning Tone Master
Then you'll need a guitar with humbuckers, preferably metal humbuckers with a high output like the emg 81 or seymour duncan distortion for example. For the distortion you'll need a distortion pedal, it's the cheapest way to get that Nu metal sound. Try the boss mt-2, Digitech Df-7 or the EHX metal muff.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Rooks
Jun 26 2008, 07:56 PM
-ZakkWylde

Im not that much into hardware huh.gif

Im afraid you'd have to explain "guitar with humbuckers, preferably metal humbuckers with a high output like the emg 81 or seymour duncan distortion for example" for me master Yoda

--------------------

+Quote Post
AnyJimmy
Jun 26 2008, 08:18 PM
He's talking about the pickups on the guitar.

On your strat, they probably look like this:

And the ones that were suggested look like this:

/Jimmy

- (In danish)

Hvis du leder efter en metal-agtig lyd, som ikke koster så meget, så er BOSS' metal zone også et godt bud. omkring 700 kr. i aage wink.gif

This post has been edited by AnyJimmy: Jun 26 2008, 08:20 PM

+Quote Post
rockztar
Jun 26 2008, 08:19 PM
IN Danish:

En humbucker er når to single coil pickuper (altså dem der sidder på din) sat sammen sa de formindsker støj og giver en kraftigere lyd... Emg og seymour duncan er nogle firmaer der fremstiller pickupper

ps. pickupper er det der sidder under strengende og optager lyden fra guitaren =)

--------------------
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
PRS CE24 Amber
Yamaha C40

Amp:
Marshall dsl 401

Effect:
dd-6, cs-3, Emma ReezaFRATzitz - morley wah- rc-2

Guthrie Govan, Thomas blug, alex hutchings and many others

+Quote Post
Rooks
Jun 26 2008, 09:10 PM
Ahaa, like that.

Well, I have been looking at a Cort guitar, some of them come with EMG Humbuckers.

And I did consider the MT-2..

Well thanks a lot for the answers it has been very helpful, I think I got an idea how to get more Metal.

Rooks

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:07 PM