New Petrucci Pick
Mertay
Apr 30 2019, 11:07 PM
GMC:er
Found one today and got it, wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be;

It's as big as a standard tortex type pick, very thick, very rounded tip, light weight.

Took me a few attempts to understand cause I usually hold the pick like this (picture from random google search;

https://www.google.com.tr/imgres?imgurl=htt...ct=c&ictx=1

but it wants to fly off my hand unlike other picks, but holding like this; https://www.google.com.tr/imgres?imgurl=htt...ct=c&ictx=1

Then it feels effortless. I'm not one who likes changing habbits based on products, but I'll give it a few days to see if I'll like it.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AK Rich
May 1 2019, 04:50 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Interesting looking pick. Who makes it? That second picture showing how to hold a pick seems strange to me after all the years of holding it with my index pointing down. One thing that I can see that I don't like about it is that I would no longer be able to pull off a pinch harmonic on an upstroke which I sometimes do by catching the string with the tip of my index finger just like you would on a downstroke with your thumb. I don't know, maybe I could make it work after a while but changing picks is one thing, changing the way I have been holding a pick for like 30 years and that works fine is quite another thing.

Edit: Oh it looks like it is another Jim Dunlop pick. I think I like the old Jim Dunlop Petrucci picks that I have better that are based on a Jazz III

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by AK Rich: May 1 2019, 05:10 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 1 2019, 06:10 PM
QUOTE (AK Rich @ May 1 2019, 03:50 PM) *

Andy james model seems the same and his holding of pick can be noticed on the beginning of the video.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
May 2 2019, 01:37 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Mertay @ May 1 2019, 09:10 AM) *
Andy james model seems the same and his holding of pick can be noticed on the beginning of the video.

Wow that's pretty wild. I never noticed anyone hold a pick like that with the index finger kind of curled. I was trying it just now and I think it would take me quite a while to get used to that. I think I will stick with what I know. If it ain't broke , don't fix it. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 2 2019, 10:03 AM
QUOTE (AK Rich @ May 2 2019, 12:37 AM) *
Wow that's pretty wild. I never noticed anyone hold a pick like that with the index finger kind of curled. I was trying it just now and I think it would take me quite a while to get used to that. I think I will stick with what I know. If it ain't broke , don't fix it. biggrin.gif

I remembered long time ago for a while I was obsessed with trying/finding new ways on right hand including trying picks. There may be a few I can't remember now but some do prefer that.

With the petrucci pick compared to a few I tried its easier, the idea I think is you don't feel the strings tension on the pick at all. Downside is atleast for me can give no emotion at all. With extreme gain one can hit a string in certain ways for slight tone shaping even if there's almost no dynamics. But without that things sound boring.

I'll also add not long ago I played a majesty and commented here it was very "flat" sounding. I guess I'm less of a fan of petrucci for the last few years (previous 2-3 DT albums I almost never listen), trying his signate stuff gave me a better idea why.

This post has been edited by Mertay: May 2 2019, 11:43 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 3 2019, 10:06 AM
The second pick is how I finally learned to hold my pick in order to not over commit to any single pick strike and get the speed I was looking for. It's how I teach all of my students to try to hold the pick. It's built in to lesson one in BOOTCAMP. smile.gif

I"m just glad to see so many vendors finally making thick/rigid/pointy picks. For years I had to sharpen them by hand way back when smile.gif The one in this picture is from way back and it's a clayton 1.0 that I sharpened with an xacto blade.
Attached Image

QUOTE (AK Rich @ May 1 2019, 08:37 PM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 3 2019, 10:07 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:37 PM