> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Closed TopicStart new topic
> Basic Metal Rhythm Guitar, Lesson By Marcus Siepen
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 3 ] ** [100.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

Siinthd
post Nov 18 2018, 05:35 PM
Post #1

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 23.155

Original lesson: Basic Metal Rhythm Guitar by Marcus Siepen

I took into account all the criticism regarding the previous videos, I worked on the rush before the metronome. But I recorded guitars as double track.it turns out so far is not very tight, but I hope all this will come with experience

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
post Nov 19 2018, 03:42 PM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 17.069

Hey there!

I'm afraid I still notice the "in front of the beat" issue. Probably a little more in the first half. Second half is not that obvious at this aspect - sound better timing-wise. You tone a slightly thin. A lot of attack cuts through but it lacks some of the bottom (rather bottom mids than lows). It lacks some of the info about the pitch of notes you play but of course it's very articulate so I belive you make the palm muting sound just right.

Beingo able to play very tight when it comes to double tracking is a difficult thing and often requires some extra time even from a pro players while recording. It's great idea that you challenged it at this level because it exactly show how precise you are and can often clarify some details that could have been random in particular takes. You did a really nice job on your double tracking and the longer the song plays, the tighter your double tracking is.

Probable the things that do differ between L/R tracks are mainly the unwanted noises of open strings or scratching noise while position shifts.

Watchout at he final chord. You press the G3 string a little to hard and instead of muting, you maki it sound like Esus4 chord.

Besides this I have no other complaints. Well done

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Nov 20 2018, 02:38 PM
Post #3

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

Hi mate!

As you've already said, the main thing to improve here is timing. The whole thing sounds like a bit "hurried" and that's because you are going before the beat. I don't think that this is tricky to fix but you need to dedicate some time playing over the backing track, maybe repeating one riff and trying to go tight with the drums. Use your foot or head to follow the rhythm and feel it in your whole body. Closing your eyes while playing can help as well.

Polishing timing, and also unwanted noises are esential for this style and also to be able to record two similar takes that you'll use paned in the mix.

Keep on the hard work!!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Nov 21 2018, 09:09 AM
Post #4

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

Very cool.

The things that prevent me from getting super nice chills from your playing is:

* timing - as pointed out - could be more convincing

* Your right hand could be a tad more aggressive. I don't necessarily think you need to adapt some new technqiue, rather just become a bit more confident with the lesson in order tp push it some more.

* Other than that your tone is a bit on the bright side/thin. While I do appreciate it has more clarity than the original - it also lacks some of the low midrange to give it heaviness.

Well done you get a 7 from me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
post Nov 27 2018, 05:42 PM
Post #5

Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 3.338

Pass: 7

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th August 2019 - 04:53 AM