Scale/ Mode Positions, based on http://all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php
iamblackmo
Sep 10 2009, 03:09 AM
GMC:er
This is a cool site that helps for quick reference.

Suppose I want to learn a minor pentatonic scale or other pattern of notes, there are 20 different positions.

I understand why this the case but when studying this type of diagram: Does one pick several different positions based on location, does one memorize the intervals and observe the notes placed over the entire fretboard, or pick predetermined/recommended positions?

I have always heard the terms referring to various positions but I dont recall anyone ever mentioning one above 5 or 6 positions.

Thanks Guys, I hope it made sense.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
djohnneay
Sep 10 2009, 09:00 AM
The site gives +20 positions, but when you click them, you'll see that most patterns are roughly the same, sometimes even separable by 1 note.

Patterns are officially not predetermined anywhere, they are just a tool to help you remember the scale. The patterns you can find in Andrew's theory lessons are used by most people because these patterns are the easiest to remember by most people, but by no means a law. Pentatonic has 5 notes, and usually got 5 patterns derived from that scale. Diatonic has 7 notes, and gives us 7 patterns. If you want, you could play these patterns the way you want, starting from any given note. Seeing as there are a lot of notes on the fretboard, this gives many different positions.
Anyway, I would recommend you to learn the basic 5 positions from the pentatonic, or the 7 from the diatonic given in Ivan's Pentatonic and Diatonic Workshop Lessons.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 10 2009, 12:10 PM
Instructor
That is good site but we can just say the following :

- CAGED system = 5 boxes/positions that cover whole guitar neck.
- 3 note per string system = 7 boxes/positions that cover whole guitar neck

If you think in these terms , you will soon have a grasp of major and minor scale modes as well as pentatonic scales. In the process of doing so, you will make music (improvising, songwriting, recording).
This is what I suggest anyways smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
iamblackmo
Sep 10 2009, 01:47 PM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Sep 10 2009, 07:10 AM) *
That is good site but we can just say the following :

- CAGED system = 5 boxes/positions that cover whole guitar neck.
- 3 note per string system = 7 boxes/positions that cover whole guitar neck

If you think in these terms , you will soon have a grasp of major and minor scale modes as well as pentatonic scales. In the process of doing so, you will make music (improvising, songwriting, recording).
This is what I suggest anyways smile.gif

A+ Pedja. This the exact answer I am looking for.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:23 PM