> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Mhskeide's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 8 2016, 11:52 PM
Instructor
Hi Mhskeide! Welcome to your thread for Gab's Army.

Here I'll help you with your guitar practice based on your guitar goals in order to take your guitar playing to new levels. Before we start, I'd like to know a bit more about you.

- How many time have you been playing guitar?
- Favorite guitarists, bands and musicians.
- What are your guitar goals?
- How would you like to you see yourself in 5 years (related to music and guitar)?
- How many time can you play guitar each day?
- Do you have playing live experience?
- Which are your strong and weak points with guitar?
- What do you know about music theory?
- Can you record videos of you playing?
- Share here audios and videos that reflect your current playing.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jan 9 2016, 01:35 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Hey man! Looking forward as fudge to practise properly again smile.gif Hope its okay that I answer the questions line by line under here. And sorry for the long post... blame it on too much coffee!

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 8 2016, 11:52 PM) *
Hi Mhskeide! Welcome to your thread for Gab's Army.

Here I'll help you with your guitar practice based on your guitar goals in order to take your guitar playing to new levels. Before we start, I'd like to know a bit more about you.

- How many time have you been playing guitar: I have played for 10 years now I think (holy shiet, time flies), though the practising has varied A LOT! I was very efficient the first 2-3 years in regards of playing exercises which got my speed up. but it was not until my 5. or 6. year that I started to learn music by ear, and develop that way. And the last year, the guitar has received far too little love while studying...

- Favorite guitarists, bands and musicians: This is a bit difficult for me to answer, since I listen to a lot of different music. And I don`t necessarily want to play like all of the bands/guitar players, but I`ll try! For favorite guitarists from the top of my head: Stevie Ray Vaughan, Slash, Nuno Bettencourt, Brian May, John Petrucci (preferably the older stuff), John Mayer, Lars Hallvard Haugen (norwegian guy), Ritchie Blackmore, Tom Morello. Probably a lot more if I start to think.

For favorite bands: Mastodon, Baroness, AC/DC, Tesseract, Snarky Puppy, The Band, Gojira, Graveyard, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Europe, Leprous, James Blake, Clutch, Arcane Roots, Circus Maximus. Also here, probably a lot more if I start to think thorougly...
I also dig funky stuff like Kool and the gang, Odyssey, Tower of Power etc.! But I don`t listen to it regularly at this point, even though I would like to play it. Kind of a paradox.

Favorite musicians: I guess a lot of them are mentioned already, but lets say some names like Dio, Neil Fallon, Geddy Lee, Mikael Åkerfeldt,

- What are your guitar goals: As a player, I always want to be improving something. For now, the goal is both ambiguous and simple: I would like to become a more interesting player, not just the average pentatonic wanker.

- How would you like to you see yourself in 5 years (related to music and guitar): Being able to write my own tunes with more "ease", considering harmonizing, theory stuff, melodies and etc. I would also like to be able to sing and play the piano (both started), but that is another journey tongue.gif If the opportunity is there, I also hope that I will be playing in a band, even though I will be working full time, hopefully .

- How many time can you play guitar each day: Right now, I will be travelling to another country as an exchange student for 6 months, so a little hard to say if I can spend 20,40, 60 minutes or even more each day, right now.

- Do you have playing live experience: Yes, I have played in several bands. In many of them as a bass player, but in some as a guitar player as well. But then it is mostly covers. I have played some original songs as a guitar player live, but not as many as I would like.

- Which are your strong and weak points with guitar? I think my speed and technique as fairly okay, but I struggle with utilizing it in licks, progressions and playing in general. I know, or think, that the key is to listen and learn music a lot more by ear, but I have not had the patience the last years....

- What do you know about music theory? I know about the modes, what separates them and so on, but that`s it I think. I am embarrassingly bad a chord progression theory..

- Can you record videos of you playing? Yes. I have a built in web-cam at my mac which is not great, but I can also look at an external cam if I manage to truly get serious again and get back at the practise train!

- Share here audios and videos that reflect your current playing.: This is a video from my former youtube-account. Old video, but technical wise, I can still play this stuff without problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQaZV3oXmq4

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 9 2016, 01:51 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Thanks for this info.

The plan for these first weeks of work would be to polish your technique and analyze some of your favorite music to learn concepts that then we'll apply into original stuff.

The technique work will be done with GMC lessons while the analysis will be based at first on songs that you suggest. Please share a list of 5/10 songs that you like and never analyzed.

Based on your take on DT song I think that this are the techniques that you could work to be able to play those tricky riffs and solos:

- Alternate Picking
- Legato
- Fast rhythm
- Bending & vibrato

I think that you could organized your days and practice two of these techniques each day. So your routine for the first week could be:

DAY 1:

- Alternate Picking (20 minutes)
- Legato (20 minutes)
- Song analysis (20 minutes)
- Learn a new lick and improvise with it over a backing track. (15 minutes)

DAY 2:

- Fast rhythm (15 minutes)
- Bending & vibrato (15 minutes)
- Song analysis (15 minutes)

DAY 3:

- Alternate Picking (20 minutes)
- Legato (20 minutes)
- Song analysis (20 minutes)

DAY 4:

- Fast rhythm (15 minutes)
- Bending & vibrato (15 minutes)
- Song analysis (15 minutes)

Does it make sense? What do you think? The next step is that you share the songs and also if you have lesson suggestions to fill the topics.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jan 9 2016, 02:50 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
My first impression: A rehearsing plan such as this is EXACTLY what I need. For me, practising guitar is often like working out: If I`m supposed to do something constructive and improve, I need a strucutered plan such as this to follow. Other wise, I am just having fun and getting nowhere!

I will go ahead and make a little playlist of various music I think is awesome, that I have never analyzed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 9 2016, 02:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Jan 9 2016, 10:50 AM) *
My first impression: A rehearsing plan such as this is EXACTLY what I need. For me, practising guitar is often like working out: If I`m supposed to do something constructive and improve, I need a strucutered plan such as this to follow. Other wise, I am just having fun and getting nowhere!

I will go ahead and make a little playlist of various music I think is awesome, that I have never analyzed.

Excellent! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jan 9 2016, 03:02 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Hope spotify link is okay:

spotify:user:mhskeide:playlist:4hREdTPkeRjDpV3LtKhipm

I just threw a couple of songs in there that:
  • I never tried learning
  • I think has at least one or more interesting parts, i.e. solo, riff, progression
  • I would not mind learning it tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 9 2016, 05:25 PM
Instructor
I use Spotify but this link is not working...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jan 10 2016, 03:59 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
I forgot to make the playlist public, since default is hidden (I have a lot of random playlists tongue.gif )

Should be working now!

I am also thinking about making a new version of Overture 1928, just to give a more up to date on my technique and playing.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 9 2016, 05:25 PM) *
I use Spotify but this link is not working...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 11 2016, 03:15 AM
Instructor
Interesting list! Recording a new version of the song is a good idea.

About song analysis, let's start with song structure. Please choose 5 songs from your list and write down here the structure used (Intro, verse, pre chorus, chorus, bridge, etc). If the style is instrumental or complex you can work with letters and write Part A, Part B, Part A', and so...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jan 12 2016, 11:01 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Alrighty, first analysis done (I think). Attaching it as a pdf, to avoid choking the entire page in loads of text and white space smile.gif

Have also begun practising two etudes, respectively for alternate picking and legato. I have managed to re-learn Overture 1928 completely by ear now, but I realize that I need some time to nail the mini-solo at 2:02 for a recording. Right now, the string-skipping lick sounds utterly shit tongue.gif

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Songanalysis1.pdf ( 39.38K ) Number of downloads: 296

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 14 2016, 12:38 AM
Instructor
Awesome work mate! Congrats on your first analysis! What have you learnt from it? Can you see the songs that you like clearer now?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jan 14 2016, 01:09 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 14 2016, 12:38 AM) *
Awesome work mate! Congrats on your first analysis! What have you learnt from it? Can you see the songs that you like clearer now?

What appeared clear to me, is that pretty long songs, tend to repeat the parts several times. And even if the song changes dynamics (i.e. the drum changes groove), the guitar might still be playing the same. That said, I chose pretty standard songs now. I might have gone out to hard, trying to analyse 11 minutes of DT from the start tongue.gif

I have yet to analyse chords/melodies though, to see their progressions. I think I mentioned it, but different chord progression and how they sound, is a part of the theory stuff which I should have learned a long time ago, and still have not learned...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 15 2016, 02:13 PM
Instructor
Yes, that's the next step. The table has two columns more:

Structure What's happening? (arrangements, what each instrument is playing) Theory (Chord progressions & scales)

Please start with one song, analyze everything you can and I'll help to understand theory if you need it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jan 16 2016, 12:32 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 15 2016, 02:13 PM) *

Structure What's happening? (arrangements, what each instrument is playing) Theory (Chord progressions & scales)

Please start with one song, analyze everything you can and I'll help to understand theory if you need it.

Alrighty, I`ll give Gravity a shot then! Got a full saturday already planned, but I will post something for sunday smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jan 17 2016, 01:57 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
With these song analyzes; what should I do if there is a part/some things that I don`t manage to find out? Just write whatever I manage on my own, or utilize guitar pro or some other utility for the last parts?

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jan 17 2016, 02:31 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
And am I suppose to drums /other instruments than strings as well? tongue.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 15 2016, 02:13 PM) *

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 18 2016, 01:24 AM
Instructor
Well, you can go as deep as you want with these analysis, based on how motivated you are and your interests. You can get back to songs later so you can start with the most basic stuff, chords, and lead melodies. About the "What's happening" section, you can write it with your words, for example:

Intro: Drums start with a fast groove, bass plays roots in 16th notes, while guitar plays arpeggios.
Verse: Guitar stops playing, vocals start with very rhythmical phrases in a low range.

This will help you to write a "map" of the song.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jan 24 2016, 08:58 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Hi!

I have been moving to Denmark this week, so very little time for the guitar. Now I`m finally settled in, and ready for school and guitar rehearsals again! smile.gif

I have attached my attempt at making a map out of the song. Might not be the most interesting song to start with, but I think it is still a valuable lesson, just to focus more on what happens to every instrument, not just the guitar.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Gravityanalysis.pdf ( 51.17K ) Number of downloads: 345

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 25 2016, 01:30 PM
Instructor
Good job! Yes, this is a very helpful training to start to hearing music deeper. Even simply songs can teach us a lot about how to arrange and produce our music so this is a good first step.

The next step is to analyze chord progressions and scales. Deal?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Feb 1 2016, 11:24 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 25 2016, 01:30 PM) *
Good job! Yes, this is a very helpful training to start to hearing music deeper. Even simply songs can teach us a lot about how to arrange and produce our music so this is a good first step.

The next step is to analyze chord progressions and scales. Deal?

I have some problems here...

I can here the main theme with G and C, and I think D major is used for the guitar solo parts, if that make sense?
But for those other parts, where the go to minor (I think), I`m not able to hear what he`s playing properly...and kinda gets distracted and want to look up tabs.

Any suggestions for how to "isolate" the guitar so I can hear better or something else?

--------------------

+Quote Post

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:56 AM