3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
God I Hate Floyd Rose
Dinaga
Jan 13 2012, 02:33 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Honestly, this is my biggest nightmare ever. mad.gif

I bought a great guitar 4-5 years ago (Joe Satriani model JS100) but I had no idea how sorry I would be for doing that. It's definitely one of my biggest mistakes as a guitarist. Actually it IS the biggest mistake I ever made. I spend a good deal of cash for it, and it does sound great but when it comes to changing the strings - it's the worst nightmare ever. At least for me.

I watched a billion videos of tuning this, but they all show how to tune the guitar which is already almost tuned, or if you need to change only one string. I have a situation where I must change all strings and it's HELL to balance out the nut with the springs on the back of the guitar. I wasted so much money, not only on the guitar but also on loads and loads and loads of fine expensive Elixir strings just to break them while trying to tune this and have to start all over.

Yes, I am frustrated because I tried to tune this idiot of a guitar once again after so many years of keeping it in the dust, and guess what? The string popped again. mad.gif Ground zero again. I want to set this guitar on fire, but then again I'd probably be sorry for doing that. sad.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 13 2012, 02:43 PM
Instructor
Well, these things happen, it happened to me as well before, but it's all solvable, and life is short, no need to be frustrated that much about it, it's the truth.

Instead, try to see this as a positive thing, as a change. You can recover that guitar as much as possible and sell it and get a good one, one that you will be happy with. Now you know what you need, perhaps it's time to look for a new one, or used one in good condition.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
JD_
Jan 13 2012, 02:44 PM
Learning Roadie
Hmm... I don't know much about that particular guitar but the 3 guitars I have all have floyd rose original on them and they are awesome. I actually find them easy and quick to change, i can do a whole set in about 15mins.

The problem must lie in WHY are you breaking a string on a new guitar?

Are you able to sell the guitar and get some if not all of your money back for it?

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 13 2012, 02:47 PM
Instructor
It depends where the breakage happens, if it's on the saddle, it can be grinded out with several swift sweeps with the D string.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Jan 13 2012, 02:47 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Jan 13 2012, 02:51 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Jan 13 2012, 02:44 PM) *
Hmm... I don't know much about that particular guitar but the 3 guitars I have all have floyd rose original on them and they are awesome. I actually find them easy and quick to change, i can do a whole set in about 15mins.

The problem must lie in WHY are you breaking a string on a new guitar?

Are you able to sell the guitar and get some if not all of your money back for it?

It's not new. It's about 5 years old. I wanted to change the strings because they were old. But when I try to tune the strings, the bridge moves toward the neck and then I have to adjust the springs on the back of the guitar and start over. But that detunes the strings again. And then I start everything again, repeat the cycle 4-5 times and eventually, a string breaks...

--------------------

+Quote Post
JD_
Jan 13 2012, 02:56 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Dinaga @ Jan 13 2012, 01:51 PM) *
It's not new. It's about 5 years old. I wanted to change the strings because they were old. But when I try to tune the strings, the bridge moves toward the neck and then I have to adjust the springs on the back of the guitar and start over. But that detunes the strings again. And then I start everything again, repeat the cycle 4-5 times and eventually, a string breaks...

Hmm, If the bridge moves towards the neck, too much tension from the strings....

Are you changing the same guage of strings?

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Jan 13 2012, 03:00 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Jan 13 2012, 02:56 PM) *
Hmm, If the bridge moves towards the neck, too much tension from the strings....

Are you changing the same guage of strings?

Yup, been using the .009 all the time. But I guess I just don't understand Floyd Rose. I just want to sell this guitar so I don't have to look at it ever again.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JD_
Jan 13 2012, 03:19 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Dinaga @ Jan 13 2012, 02:00 PM) *
Yup, been using the .009 all the time. But I guess I just don't understand Floyd Rose. I just want to sell this guitar so I don't have to look at it ever again.

Haha, fair enough mate. What do u have in mind as the next purchase?

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jan 13 2012, 03:41 PM
Instructor
I hear you, it's a pain to change gauge of strings sometimes,

But I guess the satisfaction of bringing that whammy bar back and forth it's worthed

Try maybe looking for someone to do it for you, those guys that repair guitars are geniuses to do this sort of stuff

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Giacinto
Jan 13 2012, 03:50 PM
GMC:er
yeah, if you paid that much money for it, why not invest a bit more and let a professional look over it?
maybe he can give you some advise and check if something needs to be fixed? can't believe thats normal..

This post has been edited by Giacinto: Jan 13 2012, 03:51 PM

+Quote Post
Shaolin
Jan 13 2012, 03:53 PM
No need, to be so frustrated, mate. Why not bring it to the next guitar shop? Probably won't cost too much money to have the strings changed.

Once it's in tune again I recommend you get a Tremol-No. Easy to install, no modifications on your guitar and you can just simply switch between floating, dive-only and hardtail. So when you have to change strings again, you can just lock that thing; makes it much easier!

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Jan 13 2012, 03:59 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Yes, that is the best possible solution, to hand it over to people who know their stuff. smile.gif I'll have the guys at the guitar shop tune it. Thanks a bunch for all the advice, mates smile.gif

Haha, fair enough mate. What do u have in mind as the next purchase?

Haha, I don't know. biggrin.gif I still have my current guitar which serves quite well. But whatever I do, I'll stay away from the floating bridge biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Dinaga: Jan 13 2012, 04:32 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jan 13 2012, 04:36 PM
LOL i feel you, everytime my jackson goes out of tune, i swear my self i will never buy any kind of floyed guitar again tongue.gif tongue.gif

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Jan 13 2012, 04:36 PM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Jan 13 2012, 04:42 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Jan 13 2012, 04:36 PM) *
LOL i feel you, everytime my jackson goes out of tune, i swear my self i will never buy any kind of floyed guitar again tongue.gif tongue.gif

Hahaha, good to know I'm not alone biggrin.gif

You know what else happened to me today biggrin.gif I bought 2 packs of strings, one for the Floyd Rose guitar and one for my regular guitar. You know you have to clip the ball ends of the strings when you want to put them on Floyd Rose? Well after being annoyed with the FR I went to change strings on my regular guitar (where you DON'T need to clip the ends), but I totally forgot and clipped them too. biggrin.gif

So now I'm unable to play anything, because I just disabled two guitars. What an idiot laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
snackajacks
Jan 13 2012, 05:09 PM
I did it yesterday on my edge pro on the rg550. js must be the same , if you make sure you have the same
strings then you dont have to adjust the springs.
just leave the bridge hanging there, begin with the biggest strings and go down to the smallest. I find this easier because
the thicker strings can manage to pull the tremolo up better then the thinner. finally when you set them all. grab the string in the middle and pull it up to stretch it, retune. play without locking the strings for half an hour and retune again. lock the strings and fine tune.

If I can help pm !

Grtz Marc

--------------------

+Quote Post
edguy
Jan 13 2012, 05:21 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

i know you mentioned that you watched couple of videos of a floyd rose setup but i want to recommend another one . Maybe it helps you to understand how a floyd rose works and how easy it is to tune it.

--------------------
My gear:
Schecter Blackjack ATX FR
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 13 2012, 05:29 PM
Instructor
I gave floyd rose up a few years ago and it feels like the best choice for me biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
snackajacks
Jan 13 2012, 05:31 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 13 2012, 05:29 PM) *
I gave floyd rose up a few years ago and it feels like the best choice for me biggrin.gif

don't you miss those awesome scream tones that you can make with it.
I remember the first day I had a floyd. haha trying to scream as high as possible.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jan 13 2012, 05:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dinaga @ Jan 13 2012, 01:33 PM) *
Honestly, this is my biggest nightmare ever. mad.gif

I bought a great guitar 4-5 years ago (Joe Satriani model JS100) but I had no idea how sorry I would be for doing that. It's definitely one of my biggest mistakes as a guitarist. Actually it IS the biggest mistake I ever made. I spend a good deal of cash for it, and it does sound great but when it comes to changing the strings - it's the worst nightmare ever. At least for me.

I watched a billion videos of tuning this, but they all show how to tune the guitar which is already almost tuned, or if you need to change only one string. I have a situation where I must change all strings and it's HELL to balance out the nut with the springs on the back of the guitar. I wasted so much money, not only on the guitar but also on loads and loads and loads of fine expensive Elixir strings just to break them while trying to tune this and have to start all over.

Yes, I am frustrated because I tried to tune this idiot of a guitar once again after so many years of keeping it in the dust, and guess what? The string popped again. mad.gif Ground zero again. I want to set this guitar on fire, but then again I'd probably be sorry for doing that. sad.gif

I feel you man! I use to own a few guitars with a floyd rose! Hated it! I ended up blocking this annoying thing! But there is a trick to change strings just change one by one without taking all of them down it should help!

+Quote Post
edguy
Jan 13 2012, 05:40 PM
Learning Roadie
But there is a trick to change strings just change one by one without taking all of them down it should help!

Or you use a 9 volt battery or a spoon to block the floyd rose system like it is explained in the video i embedded. It works really well. If you are afraid of scratches caused by the spoon you could also use a piece cardboard box. It worked for me aswell!

This post has been edited by edguy: Jan 13 2012, 05:44 PM

--------------------
My gear:
Schecter Blackjack ATX FR
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 09:30 AM