Lead Sound
steve25
Jun 23 2008, 09:17 PM
GMC:er
Hey i have a lead sound that i kind of like and have done for a while but i never know if its going to sound ok in a recording. Often i think it's too high pitched or too low or too much mid etc it seems to be an endless circle. I've tried actually recording with it but i never seem to be able to make good enough backings to really judge it by. If i try and import an audio file into cubase to test with the quality is lost during the import so i can't really tell. How can i really tell for sure or what can i do to ensure it is good?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Henry Dietzel
Jun 23 2008, 09:19 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Hammerin Hank)
Maybe post it here and get our opinions? I'll check back

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Henry Dietzel: Jun 23 2008, 09:19 PM

--------------------
I have learned a lot, but I still have a lot to learn

Check out my video lessons

+Quote Post
steve25
Jun 23 2008, 09:27 PM
Ok here's the line6 POD patch

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Steve_Solo.l6t ( 1.92K ) Number of downloads: 133

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 23 2008, 09:28 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Imo a lead tone should have plenty of mids. If you forget about the BT and just play along to a mp3 and find what cuts and what doesn't.

Then I'm not sure, if there's a quality loss somewhere on it's way to the computer... what's your soundcard and what do you use to record your guitar?

+Quote Post
steve25
Jun 23 2008, 09:32 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jun 23 2008, 09:28 PM) *
Imo a lead tone should have plenty of mids. If you forget about the BT and just play along to a mp3 and find what cuts and what doesn't.

Then I'm not sure, if there's a quality loss somewhere on it's way to the computer... what's your soundcard and what do you use to record your guitar?

Hey, well i just use my PODxt to record it goes through USB as a PODxt can actas an interface on its own. The pickups in my guitar are also kind of a lower chunkier sound so i use quite a bit of treble and presence (roughly 8/8.5). I've been checking out some other peoples solo sounds and i've noticed they're totally not what i expected. Like Marcus's for example here on GMC, i love his solo sound on record but i noticed if you just play it through headphones on POD it sounds quite digital and totally not what i expected compared to on record i'm guessing that's production techniques?

+Quote Post
wrk
Jun 23 2008, 11:09 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I think it's hard to find a sound which works well with a backing track and sounds round and complete on it's own as well. If you like the patch you have created and it works and reacts well with your guitar, then use this one as your basic sound and tweak it depending on what you play or play to. Very quickly you will know what to change in each situation.

Marcus's sound patch you mentioned is a good example. If you listen to his backing tracks you will notice that the different instruments take already a lot of space ... a good sounding lead tone with a lot of mids will sound muddy and lost over a backing like this, but it sounds great within the arrangement.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 24 2008, 12:18 AM
Instructor
This is because modelling software uses wider areas of the spectrum to make the signal look alike the real amp, and generally this is not good. Also the sound of the guitar will not sound the same soloed and in the mix. Often certain frequencies gets phased out and lost in the mix. Look at it this way - if a bass guitar are stronger than guitar signal at say 100Hz, even by an notch of dB, you will most likely loose perception of guitars low end in behalf of bass.
This is a very simplified example, in reality things are much complex. What you wanna make sure is to give the guitar a lot of mids, thus using a space in the spectrum where you can actually hear it properly in the mix. Don't worry if it sounds horrible, don't be afraid to experiment, sometimes the weirdest settings can lead you to phenomenal results later in the mix. In time you gain experience to recognize and anticipate the signal features.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
steve25
Jun 24 2008, 09:23 AM
Ok so i'm not going crazy then? Its true what you said wrk once i played with my solo over a Gary Moore song and it sounded fine. But then when i tried playing it over a backing like Muris' Steve Lukather lesson it just wasn't right. Do you think it's a good idea to load a backing into a DAW or audio editer and try recording with it?

+Quote Post
wrk
Jun 24 2008, 10:03 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
smile.gif .. don't know, maybe you will go crazy, but lets hope not because of your guitar tone... smile.gif

I'm not an expert in this field really, but i think you have to tweak your sound for each backing track a bit to fit in the arrangement. The tool you use to playback the backing will not change something. Ivan was speaking about the frequency spectrum used in each song and this will stay the same in iTunes, Cubase or any other player/DAW you will use.

You can do a easy test and record your own backings. If you use the same sound for the rhythm guitar and lead guitar, after only two tracks you can not hear details anymore.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 24 2008, 12:20 PM
Instructor
You can do a series of simple mixing exercises like this:

- Load any backing, and play over it.
- run a spectrum analyzer check and see where are the peaks on guitar track
- with EQ scoop the backing in the place where the peaks were on the guitar track
- surf the scooped spectrum area to fine tune the backing.
- EQ the backing additionaly where there are littel peaks on guitar track
- level up tracks

you can repeat this many times, every time you repeat it you get the feeling for it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
steve25
Jun 25 2008, 09:33 AM
Peaks, by that i take it you mean where the guitar signal is most ie high mid low etc? Can that not potentially take away a lot of the sound quality. Also if it's a backing track wouldn't it have all of this as it was used for lead guitar in the first place?

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jun 25 2008, 09:51 AM
The peaks mean where the signal is at it's maximum intensity in the waveform.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 25 2008, 11:15 AM
Instructor
EQing is and art and it requiers a lot of practice, try it and you will see what I'm talking about.

--------------------

+Quote Post
steve25
Jun 25 2008, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the help guys. In all honesty i have 2 lead sounds that i like to use but i think this 1 is my favourite. Mind you i still use the other 1 because its better for vibrato but i'm not sure how i can make vibrato and bends last longer on this solo patch because it seems to die out quickly whereas the other 1 stays longer im thinking it might be the cab i use because both of them are the exact same amp

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jun 25 2008, 03:17 PM
It's all about playing around and learning to be honest. The more you record and mess with the more you'll learn what you think sounds good.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:30 PM