2 Pages V   1 2 >  
How Good Is Your Time Management?
PosterBoy
Apr 3 2013, 01:07 PM
Learning Roadie
I firmly believe if we structure our free time (even though it almost takes away the meaning of free time) we would be happier, more relaxed, more successful and achieve so much more than if we just do things as we feel like it.

In practice I suck at pulliing this off, it's not completely my fault, sometimes life and those we do life with, get in the way, but sometimes it's just my laziness and lack of drive.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 3 2013, 01:33 PM
GMC:er
Maybe for some but definitely not me.
I want as little structure as possible for my 'free' time.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Apr 3 2013, 01:58 PM
Learning Roadie
I find I do very little without structure.

My list of things to do is

spend quality time with my wife (that feels wrong to schedule)
Practice guitar
gym
learn portuguese
singing practice

then there's always housework and cooking etc that needs doing.

Currently the gym seems to take priority as it's something the wife and I do together.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Jouve
Apr 3 2013, 02:37 PM
Learning Roadie
Yey I try to follow that "getting things done concept" but mostly at "hard times". At first i thought that it's difficult to plan your moves, but my lack of time during last academic session forced me to do some intense studying wink.gif I used Pocket informant soft for my phone and had a perfect marks in my academic record. Now i don't really do that much planing(besides guitar and German studying), but in two weeks i gotta have my exams. So i'm back on a schedule wink.gif

+Quote Post
thefireball
Apr 3 2013, 02:51 PM
Learning Roadie
I can see your point. I think my free time could be structured more. I am on vacation before my new job in a couple of weeks. So I have lots of free time. smile.gif For the family guys, I can definitely see how a structure would help more.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 3 2013, 03:33 PM
Instructor
Yeah, time management is the key to happiness and to achieve your goals. Some time ago I found a book that was very well organized to help us to be more effective. The name is "7 habits of highly effective people".

https://www.stephencovey.com/7habits/7habits.php

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Apr 3 2013, 03:53 PM
Learning Rock Star
Oh, I need structure I tells ya.
I just made a schedule for all my running and weight training the next month, because I know I won't reach my goals, if I don't make some agreement with myself for the near future. The trick is to put up realistic goals, and then you are happy, if you do better than expected.
Then one day each week I have nothing planned a head, so maybe that is my only free time?

Same with guitar, I must plan ahead, and make sure I have a weekend with some time before I choose to join a collab. And I'm really neglecting Gab's Army becuase I have so much other than guitar I want to do, and I feel a bit bad about that!

--------------------

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Apr 3 2013, 03:54 PM
My wife is a school teacher and they have been implementing the 7 Habits at her elementary school where she is currently teaching.

It has been very successful, and the kids are becoming more involved in themselves by learning these 7 habits. They are also being placed in "Leadership" roles that will help them understand the importance of what it means to be a leader. It is a very good program and it, or at least something like it should be implemented in all schools.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 3 2013, 10:33 AM) *
Yeah, time management is the key to happiness and to achieve your goals. Some time ago I found a book that was very well organized to help us to be more effective. The name is "7 habits of highly effective people".

https://www.stephencovey.com/7habits/7habits.php

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 3 2013, 04:01 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ulrik @ Apr 3 2013, 11:53 AM) *
Oh, I need structure I tells ya.
I just made a schedule for all my running and weight training the next month, because I know I won't reach my goals, if I don't make some agreement with myself for the near future. The trick is to put up realistic goals, and then you are happy, if you do better than expected.
Then one day each week I have nothing planned a head, so maybe that is my only free time?

Same with guitar, I must plan ahead, and make sure I have a weekend with some time before I choose to join a collab. And I'm really neglecting Gab's Army becuase I have so much other than guitar I want to do, and I feel a bit bad about that!

Start your plan mate! The army is waiting for you. smile.gif

QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Apr 3 2013, 11:54 AM) *
My wife is a school teacher and they have been implementing the 7 Habits at her elementary school where she is currently teaching.

It has been very successful, and the kids are becoming more involved in themselves by learning these 7 habits. They are also being placed in "Leadership" roles that will help them understand the importance of what it means to be a leader. It is a very good program and it, or at least something like it should be implemented in all schools.

Awesome!! This sound really cool. knowing these habit when you are at school would be something very useful for a whole life. I'm curious about knowing a bit more about how they implemented this program! Please share with us more info! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 3 2013, 09:59 PM
Well 'planning your time wisely' ... for stuff that needs to be done, isn't what I'd consider 'free time'.
Free time is for when all that's finished ... isn't it - ?

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 3 2013, 10:01 PM

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Apr 4 2013, 12:01 AM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 3 2013, 04:59 PM) *
Well 'planning your time wisely' ... for stuff that needs to be done, isn't what I'd consider 'free time'.
Free time is for when all that's finished ... isn't it - ?

laugh.gif Thats how I feel, free time is lazy time.

I do my essentials when it needs done. I know the first pay of the month I pay all the bills, after that its just first come first serve and I don't try to push things to the back burning and procrastinate. After all that I just am the laziest man alive, watch movies, play video games, and eat.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Apr 4 2013, 12:33 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
As an 18 year old on the way to college I feel right now is where my free time needs to start getting more structured.

I'm going to really have to crack down on when I have the actual time to play around and when it is time to get serious.

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Socky42
Apr 4 2013, 12:38 AM
QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ Apr 4 2013, 12:33 AM) *
As an 18 year old on the way to college I feel right now is where my free time needs to start getting more structured.

I'm going to really have to crack down on when I have the actual time to play around and when it is time to get serious.

As an 18 year old at college right now, I wish I was in your position and started doing work instead of playing guitar all day. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Apr 4 2013, 12:43 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Socky42 @ Apr 3 2013, 06:38 PM) *
As an 18 year old at college right now, I wish I was in your position and started doing work instead of playing guitar all day. laugh.gif

laugh.gif Never too late! I'm actually excited for college because all I'll really have to worry about is studying and guitar.

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 4 2013, 09:40 AM
Instructor
Free time smile.gif

I think I have a bad habit of taking everything I do so seriously, that even free time is a challenge to me laugh.gif

I tend to be over organized, because I am being involved in a lot of activities - I feel guilty sometimes for not being able to cope with everything quite like I'd want to. My free time is usually the time when I sleep tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 4 2013, 03:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 4 2013, 05:40 AM) *
Free time smile.gif

I think I have a bad habit of taking everything I do so seriously, that even free time is a challenge to me laugh.gif

I tend to be over organized, because I am being involved in a lot of activities - I feel guilty sometimes for not being able to cope with everything quite like I'd want to. My free time is usually the time when I sleep tongue.gif

I feel very identified with your story mate. I wish days would have more hours or weeks more days! laugh.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 5 2013, 07:25 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 4 2013, 02:16 PM) *
I feel very identified with your story mate. I wish days would have more hours or weeks more days! laugh.gif

Tell me about it.. laugh.gif I for one have to learn how to cool it down sometimes - in the mind that is - because I feel like there's something stuck there if I skipped guitar/ sword practice or fitness or whatever needs my daily dedication.

+Quote Post
wollace03
Apr 5 2013, 07:51 AM
thats an interesting topic!

I am quite organized in my work time (which is a large part of my week) and I need to be structured there so it feels natural to me to plan my work and the work of my teams....

(un)fortunately I am the complete opposite character at home/free time (which not all people find good - you should ask my wife about it). So a have dozen of things to do (family, house, garden, ....) that cut my time for practicing the guitar and I dont have a good schedule of all the things I have to do. I play around with my kids, read something drink coffee and so on...
Therefor I have very limited time for practicing the guitar (beside the rehearsals for the bands I play in).
In the busy times (which is always from october to june) it really gets bad (thats the reason way I´ve been working on my last homework for gabs army for month now....).
but I´d rather have it this way then also keep a thight and structured schedule of my "free time"....

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 5 2013, 03:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 5 2013, 03:25 AM) *
Tell me about it.. laugh.gif I for one have to learn how to cool it down sometimes - in the mind that is - because I feel like there's something stuck there if I skipped guitar/ sword practice or fitness or whatever needs my daily dedication.

yeah, this can be unhealthy. When I was a teenager I used to feel a strong guilty feeling if I didn't play at least 3 hours the guitar a day. I used to play more hours but if any day I wasn't able to do it I used to feel too bad and this wasn't healthy. In the long term I started to have problems enjoying other activities and this became a problem.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Apr 5 2013, 03:58 PM
Learning Roadie
How funny is it that a couple days after posting this, I'm being squeezed to give more of my 'free time' up!!!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:04 AM