2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Epiphone Elitist!
Marshmall0wz
May 5 2008, 04:38 AM
GMC:er
IM SO EXCITED! smile.gif smile.gif I just found out that the beautiful Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom Guitar is made in.....tada THE USA. im the kind of person who won't buy a guitar unless it's a work of art craftsmanship wise. i'm literally giddy. it seems like a different breed than epiphones. more like a gibson. I was told the pickups are between the output of a Gibson 57 Classic and a Gibson Burstbucker. they have amazing specs. Grover tuners are what got my attention wink.gif
anyway anyone have experience with one. i want one so bad right now laugh.gif tongue.gif

EDIT: Here's a link
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epi...itar?sku=518403

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Marshmall0wz: May 5 2008, 04:39 AM

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Vintage U.S. Peavey Microbass
Orange Tiny Terror w/ 212 Cabinet
Creativity
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
inertia
May 5 2008, 05:35 AM
Looks like a sweet guitar, however at that price you could buy a real gibson LP studio which is a sweet guitar as well.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
kyldeee
May 5 2008, 07:37 AM
QUOTE (inertia @ May 5 2008, 05:35 AM) *
Looks like a sweet guitar, however at that price you could buy a real gibson LP studio which is a sweet guitar as well.

True, nothing beats a real Gibson smile.gif

--------------------

Music really is a way to reach out and hold on to each other in a healthy way.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 5 2008, 09:32 AM
Instructor
nice one from LP

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 5 2008, 10:34 AM
Instructor
I would go for the real Gibson too. The quality of the wood is better, and the top wood is thicker.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
MickeM
May 5 2008, 10:38 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I dont want to rain on your parade but It still says "Epiphone" on the sticker and everyone will think it's made in Indonesia or China wink.gif
But if that doesn't matter to you and if the quality is similar to a Gibson for the same price then just mind one thing more before you shop. The second hand price on a Gibson will for sure be a lot higher than on an Epiphone if you'd want to sell it in the future. For the Epi you'd probably only get a fraction of what you payed since there are so many asian made Epi's out to compete with and the general Epi customer would be difficult to convince to get yours at double the price.
Second hand you have to keep your fingers crossed this model becomes epic and it will be easy to find the right customer second hand.

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
May 5 2008, 11:53 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 5 2008, 05:34 AM) *
I would go for the real Gibson too. The quality of the wood is better, and the top wood is thicker.

yeah i've heard that but one of the things everyone raves about this guitar is the quality of the wood. after all it's made in a gibson factory. or so the guys at guitar center told me.

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Creativity

+Quote Post
Gus
May 5 2008, 12:52 PM
QUOTE (kyldeee @ May 5 2008, 08:37 AM) *
True, nothing beats a real Gibson smile.gif

Yeah, I agree with that if you compare the same model.
But from my tests and experience:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom >>> a Gibson SG of the same price

I like to buy things for their cost benefit also, not just benefit. That's why I own a Epi LP custom wink.gif

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
audiopaal
May 5 2008, 12:55 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (Gus @ May 5 2008, 01:52 PM) *
Yeah, I agree with that if you compare the same model.
But from my tests and experience:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom >>> a Gibson SG of the same price

I like to buy things for their cost benefit also, not just benefit. That's why I own a Epi LP custom wink.gif

A friend of mine owns a Epi LP Custom, and that is an awesome guitar indeed smile.gif
But I like the Gibson SG as well, so I'd probably buy that but it's just a matter of taste..

How do you think the Epi beats the Gibson SG? Is it sound, feel, looks? I'm just curious smile.gif
I think it looks cooler than the SG though smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gus
May 5 2008, 01:39 PM
QUOTE (audiopaal @ May 5 2008, 01:55 PM) *
A friend of mine owns a Epi LP Custom, and that is an awesome guitar indeed smile.gif
But I like the Gibson SG as well, so I'd probably buy that but it's just a matter of taste..

How do you think the Epi beats the Gibson SG? Is it sound, feel, looks? I'm just curious smile.gif

Look is definitely a matter of taste, but for me :
Epi LP Custom 1 x 0 Gibson SG (can't remember exact model)
Feel playing, that was the main difference I felt. I would go for Epi LP:
Epi LP Custom 2 x 0 Gibson SG (can't remember exact model)
I never tested both side by side. It's risky to compare sound in that conditions. unsure.gif May be the amp or anything else. Still, I believe:
Epi LP Custom 3 x 0 Gibson SG (can't remember exact model)

The point I was trying to bring to the topic is that you should indeed compare with other guitars in same price range (as someone mentioned with the Elitist price you can get a Gibson). But the outcome of such comparison may actually surprise you. ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by Gus: May 5 2008, 01:40 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
MickeM
May 5 2008, 02:04 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (audiopaal @ May 5 2008, 01:55 PM) *

I'll make the same compare between Epi LP and Gibson LP. I spent quite some time in the store trying out several Epiphone LP's and two Gibson models.
The guitar I finally brought home was an Epiphone LP. It was close to the Gibson in sound and close to the Gibson in feel.
The Gibson LP was a bit nicer over all, but the Epi was so close to the Gibson so paying 450E instead of 1350E made me feel like a winner wink.gif

I coun't test how well it stayed in tune and those weary tests, mine stays in tune quite well but a fair guess is that the real Gibson beats my Epi there and possibly the pots, knobs and so forth are of another kind.

+Quote Post
audiopaal
May 5 2008, 02:25 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (MickeM @ May 5 2008, 03:04 PM) *
I'll make the same compare between Epi LP and Gibson LP. I spent quite some time in the store trying out several Epiphone LP's and two Gibson models.
The guitar I finally brought home was an Epiphone LP. It was close to the Gibson in sound and close to the Gibson in feel.
The Gibson LP was a bit nicer over all, but the Epi was so close to the Gibson so paying 450E instead of 1350E made me feel like a winner wink.gif

I coun't test how well it stayed in tune and those weary tests, mine stays in tune quite well but a fair guess is that the real Gibson beats my Epi there and possibly the pots, knobs and so forth are of another kind.

Yeah, I know what you mean..
I used to have the Epiphone Tony Iommi signature model, and that is one of the best guitars I've owned..
I should never have sold it because it was really fantastic smile.gif
Stayed in tune forever and the pickups were awesome (Tony's USA pickups were actually in it) and it felt good as well as looking killer wub.gif

But my Gibsons I think are better, but then again they cost way more smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 5 2008, 07:10 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Looks sweet man ! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 5 2008, 07:39 PM
Instructor
I agree with AudioPaal when he says nothing beats Gibson, even quality made Epi, but I also agree that for the price standard Korean Epi is a great replacement for USA Gibson wink.gif That made in USA EPI custom... don't know, for the price, they put something of a not so good in quality in there for sure. My bet that is the wood.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
May 5 2008, 09:00 PM
Okay now i'm leaning towards the GIBSON LP STUDIO. i played one and loved it.
opinions?

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Creativity

+Quote Post
Old School Rocke...
May 5 2008, 09:12 PM
QUOTE (Marshmall0wz @ May 5 2008, 01:00 PM) *
Okay now i'm leaning towards the GIBSON LP STUDIO. i played one and loved it.
opinions?

I would definately go for the GIBSON LP Studio i found one in a local guitar shop and im totally thinking of buying it i just need to save up for it, and considering that Epi is More that the studio (at least the one I saw) id definately Take the Studio and RUN. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
May 5 2008, 09:29 PM
QUOTE (Old School Rocker @ May 5 2008, 04:12 PM) *
I would definately go for the GIBSON LP Studio i found one in a local guitar shop and im totally thinking of buying it i just need to save up for it, and considering that Epi is More that the studio (at least the one I saw) id definately Take the Studio and RUN. tongue.gif

yup most people would love the studio it seems

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Creativity

+Quote Post
Harlequin
May 6 2008, 12:09 AM
QUOTE (Marshmall0wz @ May 5 2008, 05:38 AM) *
I just found out that the beautiful Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom Guitar is made in.....tada THE USA.[/url]

The Elitists aren't manufactured in the US but in Japan (as a sticker on the back says). I own one myself and think the Elitists are great guitars and it looks and sound beautiful.

@Ivan: I don't really know if the top wood is thicker. The maple top for example is a 'real' top, not just a veneer although the regular Epiphones have a veneer.

Edit: Just checked the top of my Elitist: 1 cm massive flamed maple top.

This post has been edited by Harlequin: May 6 2008, 12:25 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

--------------------
"'And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five? A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head.'" - Terry Pratchett

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
May 6 2008, 03:10 AM
musicians friend lied *GASP* guess they aren't USA. Maybe the customs are and the standards aren't

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Creativity

+Quote Post
Harlequin
May 6 2008, 09:47 AM
QUOTE (Marshmall0wz @ May 6 2008, 04:10 AM) *
musicians friend lied *GASP* guess they aren't USA. Maybe the customs are and the standards aren't

No. Just check Ebay or some websites where you can see the back of the guitar or the back of the headstock, the serial number begins with "F" which stands for Fugi-Gen. This is the japanese factory were they are manufactured.

This post has been edited by Harlequin: May 6 2008, 09:51 AM

--------------------
"'And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five? A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head.'" - Terry Pratchett

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:03 AM