Using Amp For More Than Guitar? Possible?
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 15 2017, 04:01 PM
Learning Rock Star
Since my band currently consists of me and a drummer, I'm wondering if I can use my half stack amp for simultaneous use of programmed bass and keyboard? Or just one of them? Is this unhealthy for the amp?

I gave a little test with low volume, and it seemed to handle it okay, but I'm wondering if it's bad for the amp or anything like that?

I'm running my guitar to my laptop then to the amp.

Here's a quick test recorded with my bad webcam mic:

Obviously a better solution would be to get a PA system, I suppose and run these things through that, but money is a bit of an issue on my side of the band. Will have to ask the drummer what he thinks.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 15 2017, 05:18 PM
GMC:er
It will work just fine at low volume. Once you get to stage volume and try to push low frequency stuff from the keyboard, it might make the cones work a bit harder and your guitar could get a bit lost. One single powered pa speaker, used, costs about as much as a effect pedal. Usually you can trade in something for a used single powered pa speaker and be fine. But yeah, til you start gigging, it's really doesn't matter in the slightest. Go for it it as is smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 15 2017, 05:22 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 15 2017, 06:18 PM) *
It will work just fine at low volume. Once you get to stage volume and try to push low frequency stuff from the keyboard, it might make the cones work a bit harder and your guitar could get a bit lost. One single powered pa speaker, used, costs about as much as a effect pedal. Usually you can trade in something for a used single powered pa speaker and be fine. But yeah, til you start gigging, it's really doesn't matter in the slightest. Go for it it as is smile.gif

I'm thinking a PA system in time, maybe in January, but till then we'll have to make due. smile.gif

The drummre plays E drums and doesn't have an amp either, so for now we're actually stuck with headphoens-band-practice.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 15 2017, 05:26 PM
Pluggin keyboards instead of guitar etc. would be fine but I'm not really sure about multiple instruments.

If the poweramp is tube it may overheat or the cab. would have a hard time bringing the same resolution of your guitar sound. Not my expertise so just guessing but would be good to ask someone that can be trusted first.

As Todd mentioned, used PA speakers can be found rediculosly cheap and the cheap ones aren't too bad for what you want either.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 15 2017, 05:28 PM
Learning Rock Star
Just looked up used PA systems. Costs about $400 for the cheapest used here. Doesn't seem cheap to me. That's half a guitar.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 15 2017, 09:00 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Nov 15 2017, 04:28 PM) *
Just looked up used PA systems. Costs about $400 for the cheapest used here. Doesn't seem cheap to me. That's half a guitar.

They must be high quality, check thomann and you'll see even new some brands are very affordable.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 15 2017, 10:27 PM
What about just one powered speaker/monitor?
Behringer via Thomann ... https://www.thomannmusic.com/behringer_f1320d_monitor.htm
238 euros for 165 watts.
Hi Z and Low Z inputs, basic EQ, 12" driver, 1" tweeter.

*I have something similar in my home rehearsal space (JBL EON612) that I run vox and or keys through and is fine at medium volume levels.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Nov 15 2017, 10:31 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 16 2017, 03:54 AM
Nothing wrong with that smile.gif Also it's easy on the neighbors and you can practice in your apartment! If you have no volume you don't need a practice space at all. Unless you just want one for the sake of having one, which is fine too of course smile.gif

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Nov 15 2017, 12:22 PM) *
I'm thinking a PA system in time, maybe in January, but till then we'll have to make due. smile.gif

The drummre plays E drums and doesn't have an amp either, so for now we're actually stuck with headphoens-band-practice.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Nov 16 2017, 11:55 AM
Learning Roadie
If you've played around with guitar cab IRs you'll also noticed how they are voiced for guitars, you really would need FRFR speakers.

I use a Mackie SRM450 for my Axe FX which is fairly affordable and you could base your PA around one once you're in a position to get one

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 16 2017, 12:17 PM
Learning Rock Star
I guess then for now we just go the headphone route. Hopefully come December we can afford some stuff.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:01 AM