Gfs Crunchy Pat's
ruben_mcn
Aug 3 2010, 06:43 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey Guys! biggrin.gif has anybody tried this pickups out ??? what do you think of them ???

here is a cool video i found of them on youtube:

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ruben_mcn: Aug 3 2010, 07:19 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Aug 3 2010, 08:14 PM
GMC:er
Nice full body sounding, great hot classic rock, a bit woody?
I think the DiMarzio Super Distortion has a similar sound to that (if not better and richer sounding).
I would recommend checking that out as well if you have your love set on that type of tone.

I got my pickups replaced not so long ago, it's well honestly expensive for the little but noticable amount of difference they make (i do love them when ripping up a solo or sweeping it's much better) - you just have to be careful when picking what you want. I would suggest listening to ZakkWylde recommendations if you do get new ones (I was about to get super hot pickups which would of been a muck for difference styles of playing), remember its also big difference depending on the guitar shape, bridge vs neck pickups, amp, and effects that you use. Amp and effects make the biggest difference to overall sound, pickups change low end, mids, high end (which can be adjusted from the amp to a point) but also clarity is the biggest different, the tone is only a slight change.

I got the SH-5 Custom (bridge) and SH-1 59 (neck) by the way in a Les Paul Gib Standard DC. It's clean and sounded mostly the same to the old ones at first with a bit less blues, but the difference is you can really hear each note ring out from the last, effects from the POD can easily go over it to get rock/metal/blues/jazz or whatever style. It's also got a sloped mid, and a much higher end, so solos sound so much better. I might not be able to play like that guy, but I can get very similar effects and rocking solos.

Also tone pots replacement make a huge change - I went from 300k (warm and smooth sound) to 500k pots (much brighter and gets that sound like in the vid when soloing).

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Aug 3 2010, 08:28 PM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Aug 4 2010, 12:08 AM
Learning Roadie
Thanks.. I´m looking for a set of pick ups for a cheap v 100 les paul.. I Going to change the pick ups and the pots ... basicly to start learning how to make this changes on a guitar my self it will be like a summer project ... but still i want somthing that will be good sounding ...
So i tougth of this pickups cause they were cheap and didn´t sound bad at all .. I also tougth of poboys slash alnico II copy .. check them here :

or go for somethingi know are good but a bit more expensive .. a jazz/JB

This post has been edited by ruben_mcn: Aug 4 2010, 12:08 AM

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 4 2010, 03:08 AM
Learning Tone Master
You are getting at it from the wrong direction! You have to ask yourself what you want your new pickups to sound like and what genres you want to play with them and then you can start selecting them!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Aug 4 2010, 03:40 AM
Learning Roadie
I don´t think so :S .. I choose the ones that i tougth would give a nice classic rock/hardrock tone .. btw: can you tell me anything bout the ghf pickups in general ???

This post has been edited by ruben_mcn: Aug 4 2010, 04:17 AM

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Aug 4 2010, 10:22 AM
Learning Roadie
up

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 4 2010, 12:38 PM
Learning Tone Master
Never tried them

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 4 2010, 06:59 PM
GMC:er
As I always say, you can choose pickups by reading about them or even watching videos of them, you need to go play a guitar with them installed! smile.gif Your style of playing and technique has a big influence on how any guitar you pickup will sound. So try to go to some music stores and find a guitar with these in it. Otherwise you are kinda flying blind.

Todd

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 9 2010, 12:03 AM
Instructor
Definitely true. I always consider pickups somewhat a lottery, unless I played same pickup in a very similar guitar.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:06 AM