When To Get New Frets, and is it worth it on a MIM Strat
purple hayes
May 1 2009, 01:09 AM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
I noticed the middle frets on my guitar are getting worn down. How do you determine if you need new frets? How much does it cost to get them replaced (US $ if you know)? Is it worth it on a cheaper guitar?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 1 2009, 02:01 AM
Learning Tone Master
The frets ware off with the time but it takes quite some time to get them to the point where replacement is needed. Most of the time one of these two cases make a refretting neccessary:

1. You played a ''dent'' into your fret, making your string getting stuck when you bend, fret down, etc...
2. You wore of so much fret-material that by pushing the string down, your string does not touch the fret you're fretting anymore (because it's grinded down) and therefore touching the next fret (example: fretting a wornout 12th fret will give you the sound of the 13th fret)

If your guitar's neck has a binding then it is very expensive to get it refretted because the binding needs to be removed andput back on for the procedure and this takes a lot of work, it'll cost at least 200$ if you get a good price

If you have no fretboard binding then it's a piece of cake for a good luthier, should cost ~50-80$

ONLY YOU CAN DECIDE IF YOUR CHEAP GUITAR IS WORTH BEING REFRETTED THOUGH!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
May 1 2009, 07:34 AM
Instructor
Zack gave you a good advice, but there's also the fret rectifiying. That procedure level the frets to even that difference you've got from bending a lot and making little "holes" into the frets. That work can be done if those "holes" are not huge, if they are you have to replace the frets. This work I mention is a lot cheaper because is pretty easy.

This post has been edited by Ramiro Delforte: May 1 2009, 07:35 AM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
May 1 2009, 11:06 AM
GMC:er
Take it to a tech and see what he thinks about it! Any decent Tech would rather not do a re-fret if it's not needed!!!
He may tell you that the Frets just need 'Dressing' in which case he will file down all the other Frets to match the low points!
This should cost around $50 or so.
A full Re-fret will cost you upwards of $120.
On very rare occasions they might suggest a combination, whereby he'll replace single frets and then dress them to suit the originals.
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Fran
May 1 2009, 11:38 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
As for the guitar being worth refretting... only you can tell!
It doesn't matter if it's an inexpensive guitar or not, what matters is how much you like playing it. If you love that guitar then you'll do whatever it takes to keep her alive smile.gif If you are not comfortable with it, I say save for a new one!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:14 PM