> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

17 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Philm's Thread, for Gab's Army
philm
Apr 26 2014, 08:37 AM
GMC:er
Hey Gab
Thanks for the great feedback.I appreciate it! I will keep on playing these lessons and focus more time on the offspring one. I will also try to learn the offspring rhythm section too. Then its onwards to the next lesson, the rise against one I think wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 26 2014, 02:42 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (philm @ Apr 26 2014, 04:37 AM) *
Hey Gab
Thanks for the great feedback.I appreciate it! I will keep on playing these lessons and focus more time on the offspring one. I will also try to learn the offspring rhythm section too. Then its onwards to the next lesson, the rise against one I think wink.gif

Perfect! Yeah, that lesson is good as the next one to work on. wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
philm
May 27 2014, 08:33 PM
Hey Gab
A month has gone by and no new takes from me, these last few weeks have been a bit hectic with not enough playing time.
But i have bee getting going again. I am still working on the offspring lesson at 155bmp, 175 is a big jump is it possible to have a backing track at say 165? That would be great!
I have started to work on the rise against lesson. I think i will do 2 to 3 more punks lessons and then think about my next move.
I hope to post sth soon...

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 28 2014, 07:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (philm @ May 27 2014, 04:33 PM) *
Hey Gab
A month has gone by and no new takes from me, these last few weeks have been a bit hectic with not enough playing time.
But i have bee getting going again. I am still working on the offspring lesson at 155bmp, 175 is a big jump is it possible to have a backing track at say 165? That would be great!
I have started to work on the rise against lesson. I think i will do 2 to 3 more punks lessons and then think about my next move.
I hope to post sth soon...

Hi mate, thanks for the update. wink.gif What things are taking the time that you usually dedicate to practice?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
May 30 2014, 01:31 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 28 2014, 07:32 PM) *
Hi mate, thanks for the update. wink.gif What things are taking the time that you usually dedicate to practice?

Hey Gab
Well work has been eating into my practice time lately. Plus unfortunately cos of the many hours i work on the computer everyday i have been getting pain in my fingers which meant i had to have a few days off practice ohmy.gif But its gotten a bit better now and no time for excuses! Here is my plan.

I am still working on the offspring lesson, i find the tempo very challenging i am still at 155bpm. I have also started the rise against lesson, i have the parts down i am just playing it over and over again until its good.

Then i plan to learn the following lessons on punk
-Millencolin style
-Skate style

Then I think i will switch to Stoner rock style and learn these four lessons.
-Stoner rock 1&2
-Kyuss Style
-Fu Manchu
I really like queens of the stone age and these lessons also have some lead parts as well which i also interested in improving.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 30 2014, 04:10 PM
Instructor
Ok, great to know that you are now getting back to practice! Those lessons are very good choices. I can say that once you master the list of lessons that you are planning, you will have a good average rhythm guitar so we will be able to start working on some of your own compositions. So keep on working hard and be ready to start the creation process soon. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Jun 4 2014, 08:57 PM
Hey mate i wanted to record some new takes at the weekend. Would it be possible to have the backing track for the rise against at 90bmp? i am not quite ready for 100 yet! Thanks

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 4 2014, 10:34 PM
Instructor
Sure! Here you have it: Attached File  90.mp3 ( 1.57MB ) Number of downloads: 96

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Jun 12 2014, 06:57 PM
Hey there! I finally have recorded some new lessons below, the rise against and millencolin first takes.

You may notice a different in tone, i am now the proud owner of a pod 500x. This thing is awesome! I can't get it to connect to my audio interface though, i think i have the wrong cables. Going directly through the pod to record with cubase if giving some issues like the recording is too low and such.
Do u hook your pod up with an audio interface and if so how?
Anyway here are the vids, i used your patches:)

Rise Against

Millencolin

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 13 2014, 02:58 AM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Congrats on your new purchase! That's a very good choice, you will really enjoy having a pod. Regarding the connection, I use it connected via audio cable (with XLR connector) to my m-audio interface. You can also use the USB connection and you should get similar results. The volume issue is something that should be fixed setting it from your pod, or the software in which you are recording. Please give me more details about how you are setting and connecting it and I'll try to help you.

Both videos are sounding good, you can play the lessons and the thing to focus is timing. I notice timing issue in the first riffs of both lesson and also when you play the only down-strokes palm muted verse. The second lesson has some more problems with connection between parts, and the sound of the last section (the chorus), where I note that the lower string played sound louder than the higher one that is doing the melody, try to balance it.

On a side note, I would like to say that it would be good if you try to play with your right hand more relaxed. I note that it's not moving smooth from your wrist, try to relax it a bit more.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Jun 13 2014, 07:42 PM
Hey Gab, Thanks for the feedback!
Yeah I am really happy with the pod but i haven't had enough time to play around with it yet. I have fixed the volume issue but I think i will buy a XLR connector to connect it to my interface for a better result. Do u use two XLR connectors as there is a left and right channel on the pod?

Regarding the lessons i will keep working on them until they are better of course. Regarding the right hand, do u mean i need to loosen up at my wrist more or my whole arm? I find it a challenge staying loose at these punk rock speeds but i will continue to work it!
Thanks again for your help and hopefully my next post with a take will be sooner than the last:)

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 14 2014, 06:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (philm @ Jun 13 2014, 03:42 PM) *
Hey Gab, Thanks for the feedback!
Yeah I am really happy with the pod but i haven't had enough time to play around with it yet. I have fixed the volume issue but I think i will buy a XLR connector to connect it to my interface for a better result. Do u use two XLR connectors as there is a left and right channel on the pod?

Good decision, this depends on the patch that you create. There is a possibility of creating stereo guitar patches in which you use 2 amps at the same time and pan them. Also there are some effects that can be used stereo (like delay). If you create mono patches, you don't need two cables.

QUOTE (philm @ Jun 13 2014, 03:42 PM) *
Regarding the lessons i will keep working on them until they are better of course. Regarding the right hand, do u mean i need to loosen up at my wrist more or my whole arm? I find it a challenge staying loose at these punk rock speeds but i will continue to work it!
Thanks again for your help and hopefully my next post with a take will be sooner than the last:)

I know that it's difficult to play this lessons completely relaxed but you have to think on it to try to play the more relaxed possible. Just try to loosen up a bit more your wrist movement and also a bit from your elbow and see what happens, experiment with it. Imagine that playing a 2 hours show with your right hand tense like that wouldn't be enjoyable.

I'm glad to know that this thread is helping this. Please keep me updated.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Jun 22 2014, 07:21 PM
Hello there!
Here is my first take of the stoner rock style lesson. Its by no means perfect especially in the solo section but i wanted to post a take sooner and not have such a long gap between posts. I think in the video i will try and post takes sooner even if they are not perfect so i can integrate your feedback into the practice of these lessons. Does this approach make sense? Anyway here is it..

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 22 2014, 09:28 PM
Instructor
Hi Philm! I think that it's a great approach to practice. I preffer that you post videos more frequently to be able to monitor your progress and give you feedback that could definitely guide your diary practice. Let's go in this way!

Let's go with the rhythm section:

It's going well. I notice that you have timing issue on most of the legato (commonly called trills). You tend to reach the third note of each trill faster than you should and this make the overall part untight. Pay attention to it.
I notice that your vibrato technique could be wider and connect more with the backing's groove, you have to feel it, it should be more natural.
The last thing that I would like to mark is to work on dynamics. You play the whole rhythm part with the same intensity, you should go stronger and softer to give it a more organic sound. This take is lacking mostly stronger picking in some parts (for example at 00:16)

Regarding the solo section:

The solo needs more practice in general. I think that it's a great solo for improving your technique and feeling. Check our again my solo and pay attention to how I manage:

- vibrato
- bending
- dynamics

At first, it would be good if you practice the solo over the original lesson and try to emulate a bit my playing. Just at first, then you can add your own personality to it.

That's all! Let me know if you have any question.

Keep on rocking.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Jun 24 2014, 08:49 PM
[quote name='Gabriel Leopardi' date='Jun 22 2014, 08:28 PM' post='689858']
Hi Philm! I think that it's a great approach to practice. I preffer that you post videos more frequently to be able to monitor your progress and give you feedback that could definitely guide your diary practice. Let's go in this way!

Okey dokey I will try to post takes more frequently even if they are a bit rough around the edges.

I thought this stoner lesson was going to bit of a long project and challenge for me, its my first attempt at a 5 difficulty lesson but its one of my favorites of yours I couldn't wait biggrin.gif Thanks for your feedback its has already helped me with this lesson and i think i understand everything you mean.
You mention the dynamics of picking softer and stronger, which parts of the rhythm do you suggest to pick harder? I am not quite sure on this.

I also noticed your awesome new modern metal lesson on As I lay dying. These lessons are out of my reach at the moment but metalcore is one of my favorite music styles. Some other great bands to do would be August burns red, Parkway drive or/and bring me the horizon. Look forward to seeing the future lessons from you!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 25 2014, 02:33 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (philm @ Jun 24 2014, 04:49 PM) *
Okey dokey I will try to post takes more frequently even if they are a bit rough around the edges.

I thought this stoner lesson was going to bit of a long project and challenge for me, its my first attempt at a 5 difficulty lesson but its one of my favorites of yours I couldn't wait biggrin.gif Thanks for your feedback its has already helped me with this lesson and i think i understand everything you mean.
You mention the dynamics of picking softer and stronger, which parts of the rhythm do you suggest to pick harder? I am not quite sure on this.

I also noticed your awesome new modern metal lesson on As I lay dying. These lessons are out of my reach at the moment but metalcore is one of my favorite music styles. Some other great bands to do would be August burns red, Parkway drive or/and bring me the horizon. Look forward to seeing the future lessons from you!

Hi mate! Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely cover these bands. wink.gif

Great to know that you are enjoying the stoner lesson. I notice that in general, your right hand picking is a bit soft in the whole lesson. These rocker styles require more strength and aggression while you play. About the "dynamics", it's something that you have to feel while you play. I usually accentuate a bit the first beats of each measure and also those parts when the drum marks with a cymbal or fill. Giving more dynamics is giving more life to your playing, I could give you specific minutes but it's not really important that you clone my feeling, feel the tune and add your own personality to it. A good exercise is to play it with your eyes closer (if it's possible), it's awesome how much feeling you add to your take just by closing your eyes and focusing on sound while you play.

Try it and let me know how you feel!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Jul 11 2014, 04:21 PM
Hey gab
I have some bad news today. I wanted to record a load of lessons takes at the weekend but my right arm jammed up completely and went numb from the index finger to my forearm from working on the computer. i have been off work this week and got the diagnosis today that i have Tendonitis through the heavy use of computer. This means i am on an indefinite break from guitar and computer. I don't know how long i will be out but i have a dose of cortisone steroids to try to get the swelling down. So u won't see me around here for a while.
I will keep u updated on it.
Stay safe and well and until next time.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 12 2014, 08:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (philm @ Jul 11 2014, 12:21 PM) *
Hey gab
I have some bad news today. I wanted to record a load of lessons takes at the weekend but my right arm jammed up completely and went numb from the index finger to my forearm from working on the computer. i have been off work this week and got the diagnosis today that i have Tendonitis through the heavy use of computer. This means i am on an indefinite break from guitar and computer. I don't know how long i will be out but i have a dose of cortisone steroids to try to get the swelling down. So u won't see me around here for a while.
I will keep u updated on it.
Stay safe and well and until next time.

Hi Philm, I'm very sorry to hear this. I hope that you feel better soon to be able to get back to guitar. You will have to stop playing guitar but there are other things that you can do during this time that can help you musically. Here is a list of ideas:

- Ear Training
- Learning theory
- Composing / Writing lyrics
- Analyzing the music that you like (structure, progressions, scales used)
- Learning to sing (I thing that being able to sing on pitch is an advantage for every musician).
- Listening to music
- Reading books, and music biographies.
- Learning about recording, mixing and mastering.

I can give you ideas about each of these topics. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Jul 15 2014, 07:13 PM
Hey gab, Thanks for your suggestions. Yeah i cant play guitar or use the computer much(only with my left hand) but there are still things i can do. Learning some theory is one, i shamefully still haven't learned all the notes on the fretboard so that definitely one thing to do. Ear training and analyzing music also sounds interesting. I would be really grateful for your ideas on these topics thanks!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 15 2014, 10:34 PM
Instructor
Excellent! That's the attitude! smile.gif

Well, for learning theory I recommend you to use this guide: HERE

Then for song analysis, you can still use this thread to check your progress to be sure that you are getting the most from each tune. I took songs and analyse them using a table with 3 columns: Structure, What's happening (arrangements)?, Theory (Scales & chord progressions). This is the most effective way to analyze songs. I use my ear to learn the songs. As you can't play guitar, maybe you can use a piano just to learn the chords or maybe use transcriptions but this is not the best way, the best is to use our ears.

I invite you to post here the songs that you would like to analyse and if it's possible your table complete... what do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 06:14 AM