2 Pages V   1 2 >  
How Much Time?
Ryan
Oct 26 2007, 01:55 AM
GMC:er
Just wondering, How much time (days, weeks, years etc.) did it take you to find a tone that you like?

Did you just one day just put it on some settings, and left it there? Or are you still searching for that amazing tone you want?

Did you copy?

I myself, really never got into tone to much until my 2nd year of playing. I didnt really start playing till then, but what I like is the higher end types, with a scroungy sound to it. Be able to switch to the neck hb, and get a really deep crunchy sound. I almost got it sort of. Still workin on it tongue.gif

And ive also figured out how to work with my tone, just using dynamics, and just certain ways I hit the strings. That really helps, you guys that cant find out how to get that tone, sometimes its not the amp, or effects.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Oct 26 2007, 02:02 AM
Lets go fishing!
£550 later on new gear i finally found a good tone blink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Oct 26 2007, 02:05 AM
Learning Tone Master
I like the mids cut out (scooped sound) and a heavy marshall tone

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
steve25
Oct 26 2007, 02:34 AM
Still looking for my tone, its taking a lot of effort

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 26 2007, 03:10 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I have plenty of tones I like, all for different things. One for 80's metal, one for modern punchy progressive metal, several good crunch tones, clean, vintage tones, modern tones.

And it varies. Sometimes I feel a little delay is needed, or to add some presence, add more mids etc etc.

But in general, all these tones circle around the same tonal ideas and preferences. And sometimes you manage to key in a killer tone you stick with.

Like ZakkWylde said, Marshall scooped mids is damn heavy. It's like to use that for a modern rhythm sound (and I do but I don't have a Marshall), but for a lead tone I'd use something else, I'd add mids and a delay.

If I'm happy with the tones I like and have to day in say 10 years, I don't know. If I think back to my sound 10 years ago, it sucked but at that time I thought it was good.

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Oct 26 2007, 03:24 AM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=688660

Maybe that will help.

+Quote Post
Fabian Schulz
Oct 26 2007, 03:58 AM
Instructor
I have a tone i like, but i can't get this tone with my equipment biggrin.gif

I have to invest a lot of more money into amp, stompboxes etc. till i have a good tone.

--------------------
Guitars: Ibanez RG 2550, Squier Showmaster Jimmy Shine Signature

Amps: Marshall G30R CD Combo, Marshall MG100HDFX Halfstack

Pedals: Digitech DF-7, Boss RC-2, Dunlop Cry Baby

Wishlist: Brunetti XL R-Evo II or Brunetti Mercury EL34 and a Fabian Schulz Signaturemodel by Ibanez :D

Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Oct 26 2007, 04:04 AM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Oct 25 2007, 09:05 PM) *
I like the mids cut out (scooped sound) and a heavy marshall tone

Im the same way on the mids,almost always cut them when playing metal but hate Marshall because there amp distortion blows to me cause its so ac/dc style distortion.I like a amp that you dont have to buy a distortion pedal to use.Honestly though im one of those that are still learning and searching for the perfect tone.Really if you think about it there's no such thing blink.gif .What may be perfect to you may suck to someone else so its really finding your own perfect tone for yourself wink.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Oct 26 2007, 04:04 AM
QUOTE (Fabian Schulz @ Oct 25 2007, 10:58 PM) *
I have a tone i like, but i can't get this tone with my equipment biggrin.gif

I have to invest a lot of more money into amp, stompboxes etc. till i have a good tone.

Thats what i'm going to do, and then i'll get really serious about everything involving guitar.

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Oct 26 2007, 04:05 AM
I think I've yet to find my ultimate tone, but I'm quite satisified with the one I have now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Robin
Oct 26 2007, 04:08 AM
I didnt really start thinking about tone before I joined GMC, about 10 months ago. After I changed the pickups on my explorer I really found a nice blues tone, both distorted and clean. I'm still kinda looking for a good metal sound, havent really found anything I liked yet, with the gear I have.

Also, I was very happy with my acoustic sound after changing from 0.10 to 0.12 strings and tuned from open D to open C.
Thats on the 6 string though, I havent changed to 0.12 on the 12 string guitar yet because I havent found 0.12 for 12 string guitars in the stores here yet... And atm I just have it in open D, but I only practice with it, so what the hell, no rush smile.gif

QUOTE (Fabian Schulz @ Oct 26 2007, 02:58 AM) *

Stompbox ey? http://www.ellisguitars.com/stompbox.html is the only way. Got mine today, its freakin awesome.

This post has been edited by Robin: Oct 26 2007, 04:12 AM

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Oct 26 2007, 04:20 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
About 3-4 hours of messing with my amp and guitar, not too bad really.

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Oct 26 2007, 04:28 AM
I actually think as musicans that it takes quite alot of time to find your tone. I mean tell me after you play with one sound for around and hour or 2 that you dont want a better or more kicka$$ one ? tongue.gif

Part of being a artist is never being satisfied with what you have and always wanting more and better things.
So if I ever do find my "tone" it will be after long hard hours of slapping my amp, kicking my stomp boxes and what not. tongue.gif

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Ryan
Oct 26 2007, 04:43 AM
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Oct 25 2007, 10:28 PM) *
I actually think as musicans that it takes quite alot of time to find your tone. I mean tell me after you play with one sound for around and hour or 2 that you dont want a better or more kicka$$ one ? tongue.gif

Part of being a artist is never being satisfied with what you have and always wanting more and better things.
So if I ever do find my "tone" it will be after long hard hours of slapping my amp, kicking my stomp boxes and what not. tongue.gif

Ive actually just sat down with my guitar. And didnt practice nothing. Just looked for a tone that suited me as best as I could get it.

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Owen
Oct 26 2007, 04:56 AM
I always think my tone is beasting when I first get a piece of equipment then a few months down the line when I replace it I realise that it wasnt really. I'm satisfied with my Line 6 tone at the moment - Flextone for live situations and Toneport for recording, but I'll admit its not the best compared to some of the Marshalls I've played and sampled, in my heart I really want a Mesa Boogie triple rectifier but my mind says I'll never afford one until I'm earning a proper salary.

This post has been edited by Owen: Oct 26 2007, 04:56 AM

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 26 2007, 07:55 AM
Moderation Policy Director
I'm building my ultimate tone (that's the plan anyway unsure.gif )

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
VinceG
Oct 26 2007, 10:09 AM
I found my metal tone. Its either mids scooped for a more modern sound or mid on 2 and treble on 11 for a more old school sounding death and thrash.

My clean tone and blues tone sux though. Im just currently playing blues on a clean setting and I need a good drive to make my sound fat and alive.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
Owen
Oct 26 2007, 06:20 PM
I think I'm the only metal player who hates scooping mids, sounds bad to me, maybe I need to experiment more but I like to have them way up with the treble and the bass. tongue.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Oct 26 2007, 08:01 PM
Lets go fishing!
I am finding a TS-9 into a DS1-Ultra into a Vox Tube amp gives a pretty killer tone!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Oct 26 2007, 10:06 PM
still searching, well not searching, just hoping i dial in something good one day lol

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:18 PM