Current Fave Overdrive/distortion?
Todd Simpson
Feb 21 2014, 10:50 PM
GMC:er
I've tried wads of Overdrive/Distortion pedals and after much deliberation, it's the ProTone Bulb Deluxe that does it for me. smile.gif I really wish these pedals were available in stores or even used online, or for rental or something. As it stands, you have to have a bit of patience since build times (it's a hand built pedal) are around 8 weeks and you have to save up as the costs is $300. I 've been using it as a sort of "Pre-Amp" in front of my input for OVERLOUD TH2 and other sims. Works just like an overdrive in front of a real amp smile.gif How about you guys?

Here is a guest spot I did using the BULB for rythm and lead duties along with overloud.

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/alexa-give-me-time-guest-solo

Attached Image
Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 21 2014, 10:51 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Jouve
Feb 23 2014, 08:18 PM
Learning Roadie
Sounds nice Todd. Now i'm using a cheap Joyo suhr riot copy in a amt preamp and than to s-gear2, and quite like the sound of it.
But also i'm thinking about buying some light thin boost/od thingy smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 24 2014, 02:23 AM
Just about anything along the lines of a dist/od can work as a nice boost pedal smile.gif The cheap JOYO/nux od pedals sound nice used this way as well smile.gif Preamping the signal before it gets to a guitar sim is a great trick to get better results smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Jouve @ Feb 23 2014, 02:18 PM) *
Sounds nice Todd. Now i'm using a cheap Joyo suhr riot copy in a amt preamp and than to s-gear2, and quite like the sound of it.
But also i'm thinking about buying some light thin boost/od thingy smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 24 2014, 02:29 AM
Hey Todd, have you ever used a digitech grunge pedal for such approach?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 25 2014, 02:44 AM
Sorta smile.gif The "GRUNGE" tone is built in to the rack mounted digitech GSP1101 which I ran for a bit but had to ditch as I couldn't not make it djent for the life of me. But I did like the grunge patch smile.gif However, for what I"m talking about here, an overdrive is a better idea than a distortion since it gets used more like a clean boost.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Feb 23 2014, 08:29 PM) *
Hey Todd, have you ever used a digitech grunge pedal for such approach?

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 25 2014, 02:51 AM
ahha I still have my rp12 and that was the dist. type I always used biggrin.gif

and yeah I can't make up my mind if I need a pedal or not to use with plug-ins yet, the sound from the computer is usually ok for me but I still can't get the feel I want...I do like the newer small amps (the shur one for example, a member here shared some sound and it was amazing) but thats out of my budget smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Feb 25 2014, 01:34 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
My favorite Overdrive pedals:
Bearfoot FX - Sparkling Yellow Overdrive 1
Bearfoot FX - Sparkling Yellow Overdrive 2
Bearfoot FX - Sea Ble EQ (Obviously an EQ pedal, but can be used as an overdrive as well with very good results).
Mesa Boogie - Tone Burst (Boost/Low OD)

My favorite Distortion Pedals:
Bearfoot FX - Emerald Green Distortion Machine
Bearfoot FX - Dyna Red Distortion

I've tried so many pedals over the years, but the Bearfoot FX pedals have really got me going again.
Every single one I've tried sounds great in it's own way. All are very different and does it's own thing,
but if these pedals don't get your groove on nothing will :-)

Edit: Added the Mesa Boogie - Tone Burst. Sounds friggin' amazing, how could I forget...

This post has been edited by audiopaal: Feb 25 2014, 01:36 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 25 2014, 11:36 PM
A JOYO overdrive runs about $30 and it would do the trick smile.gif

QUOTE (Mertay @ Feb 24 2014, 08:51 PM) *

and yeah I can't make up my mind if I need a pedal or not to use with plug-ins yet, the sound from the computer is usually ok for me but I still can't get the feel I want...I do like the newer small amps (the shur one for example, a member here shared some sound and it was amazing) but thats out of my budget smile.gif

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Feb 26 2014, 08:32 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (Mertay @ Feb 25 2014, 02:51 AM) *

I posted the Suhr Corso amp clips, and it does sound great :-)
However, there are plenty af great pedals that sounds like "amp in a box" that may help you get the sound you want.
Almost any of the Bearfoot FX Overdrives, Xotic Effects has a few great ones and a TS9 is a great go-to pedal (although I'm not the biggest fan myself), the Boss Blues Driver, and others :-)

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 26 2014, 11:08 AM
Instructor
I currently own the Suhr Shiba Drive and I have worked with the Ibanez Tube Screamer - TS 808 - the good one tongue.gif And the ZAkk Wylde OD from MXR - I like the creaminess of the Suhr but that Zakk Wylde - damn, it can throw a punch in your face for sure.

Todd - I am waiting for the arrival of a Pro-tone pedal myself, but I have no clue what it'll be yet tho biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 27 2014, 07:18 PM
I was really worried that I might not like the ProTone in the time it took to get it (8 weeks!!!!) I started having doubts due to the price. But thankfully when it showed up I was blown away and actually gave away/sold all my other overdrives smile.gif I had half a dozen overdrive stomps I was using for different tones and just didn't need them anymore.

So be patient smile.gif It's worth the wait!

Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 26 2014, 05:08 AM) *
I currently own the Suhr Shiba Drive and I have worked with the Ibanez Tube Screamer - TS 808 - the good one tongue.gif And the ZAkk Wylde OD from MXR - I like the creaminess of the Suhr but that Zakk Wylde - damn, it can throw a punch in your face for sure.

Todd - I am waiting for the arrival of a Pro-tone pedal myself, but I have no clue what it'll be yet tho biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 28 2014, 09:36 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mertay @ Feb 25 2014, 02:51 AM) *

Same for me man. I did some experiments but usually of I use amp simulation I use boost or pre-drive as a VST as well. You might disagree but I feel like those virtual things help to save some buzz, hum, noise...etc. But...I'm not a good reference here because I usually don't use boost at all.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 28 2014, 01:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 27 2014, 06:18 PM) *
I was really worried that I might not like the ProTone in the time it took to get it (8 weeks!!!!) I started having doubts due to the price. But thankfully when it showed up I was blown away and actually gave away/sold all my other overdrives smile.gif I had half a dozen overdrive stomps I was using for different tones and just didn't need them anymore.

So be patient smile.gif It's worth the wait!

Todd

Knowing it comes from you, I have no doubt and I had no doubt before, to be honest smile.gif I'll let you know what I will get when it gets here wink.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 3 2014, 09:36 PM
Post some clips too!! smile.gif
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 28 2014, 07:59 AM) *
Knowing it comes from you, I have no doubt and I had no doubt before, to be honest smile.gif I'll let you know what I will get when it gets here wink.gif

+Quote Post
SixStringSamurai
Mar 4 2014, 06:09 AM
My favourite overdrive is my Mark V, does that count? biggrin.gif

In actual pedals, the MI Audio Super Crunchbox is pretty high up on my list of hotrodded Marshall type tones at the moment. I'm about to do a review of it sometime this week.

--------------------
http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Thank you to John at GMC for inviting me to hang out and talk gear with you guys!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 4 2014, 08:53 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 3 2014, 08:36 PM) *
Post some clips too!! smile.gif

Of course! As soon as it gets here smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 4 2014, 12:38 PM
Instructor
Mark V is a very cool pedal but I would not like to have in in the pedalboard...also...very hard to press the "on" and "stand by" switches with Your feet tongue.gif

+Quote Post
NPB1979
Mar 4 2014, 05:30 PM
Klon Centaur, currently looking for a clone.

I have a Fulltone Fulldrive II MOSFET, but I usually only use the gain channel on my amp.

--------------------
As me about my Michigan-based handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups. Est. 2010 - I wind more for hobby and not for profit. I do pickup winding, rewinding, and some vintage repair as well.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 4 2014, 05:56 PM
Favourite OD is the Zoom Power Drive:-

biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
SixStringSamurai
Mar 5 2014, 09:31 AM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Mar 4 2014, 11:38 AM) *
Mark V is a very cool pedal but I would not like to have in in the pedalboard...also...very hard to press the "on" and "stand by" switches with Your feet tongue.gif

Oh man, you're so right. Even the Mk V's footswitch is as big as some pedalboards I've owned in the past....

(Not my board, but just to illustrate its humongous size!!)

--------------------
http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Thank you to John at GMC for inviting me to hang out and talk gear with you guys!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:25 PM