Practice And Sleep/rest, how does it help?
Pantalaimon
Jul 25 2007, 11:24 PM
GMC:er
I read somewhere once that people who practice their instrument at night before they sleep will be able to accomplish the same exercise with greater accuracy in the morning. I also read that people who practice their instrument in the morning see little improvement when trying the same exercise later on that same night. Point being: you retain your practice better if you do it right before you sleep.

I've tested it a bit and found that it works for me. I wanted to know how all of you felt about it.

Also...I've read that practicing for hours on end without stopping is not as beneficial as it sounds. I don't know how true that is for everyone, but I definitely retain my practice better if I take a break and rest every 30 minutes or so for about an hour.

thoughts?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear:
~Schecter C-1+ (black cherry) w/ Duncan Designed PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Fender Mexican Stratocaster (black) w/ stock PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Jasmine by Takamine acoustic (kinda crappy - $90)
~Fender Frontman 25R amp.
~Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive pedal
~Dan-Ecko pedal
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
Ryan
Jul 25 2007, 11:27 PM
Sounds good to me!! Not much htought on it. But it all sounds reasonable enough.

Practicing long hours can be very benefical. If you do it right!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Robin
Jul 25 2007, 11:28 PM
If I practice all day on pretty much the same stuff, it just gets worse and worse. But they day after it goes alot better.

+Quote Post
AIB234
Jul 26 2007, 03:57 AM
The same is true for studying.

Good test tip for you all.

Do review RIGHT before you go to sleep and fall asleep reviewing it in your head. It sticks like crap on a blanket. I do it all the time and I always tell people how I study, yet not many believe I do so little studying and achieve the marks I do!

+Quote Post
moles
Jul 26 2007, 04:09 AM
lol - i have the same pattern as robin. practice practice and it sounds worse. then the next day its better than it was...

aib234 - i would try that but my problem is if im sleepy and i study i just dont pay attention and it doesnt stay in my head tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Gen
Jul 26 2007, 04:17 AM
QUOTE (Robin @ Jul 26 2007, 12:28 AM) *
If I practice all day on pretty much the same stuff, it just gets worse and worse. But they day after it goes alot better.

I thought i was the only one!!!
biggrin.gif same here!

--------------------
"Fact is, nothing in the world bores me more than gear...If I played thru your rig, I would still sound like me. Van Halen would sound like Van Halen. Brian May...etc. Very early in my career I decided to focus on creating music and not being a guitar tech. Being a good guitar tech is a very different and extremely difficult job, so why not leave it to a pro?"

Marty Friedman -

Guitars: ESP LTD viper-500, a fake strat and an acoustic guitar( dont know the brand)
Amp: Randall RX20R
Effects: Boss mt 2 distortion pedal, Line 6 pod floor plus

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Jul 26 2007, 04:41 AM
It works for me too. I even feel like I play better at night.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Chooch
Jul 26 2007, 06:51 AM
Wow, I've actually been noticing this, but, I never really mentioned this to anyone, because, I thought I was crazy, haha.

+Quote Post
Hungus
Jul 26 2007, 07:20 AM
I havent really done this with practise but I have been reading abit of theory before I go to bed and have found I wake up with a much better understanding of what I have read the night before.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jul 27 2007, 05:39 PM
Lets go fishing!
I definatly play better in the evening !!!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 27 2007, 06:07 PM
Instructor
These 5 years of my playing i was practicing most of the time before sleeping, in the late hours because during the day i had school and after school you have to study. So most of the practice was in the evening and night.

To make long hours of practice useful you have to make it interesting. If you pick one single exercise and play it for 4 hours it won't bring any good. Because you will be learning the particular exercise and not the technique. After you learn it and go to another exercise you'll feel like you never practiced at all.

Best way to organize your practicing is to pick 3 or 4 exercises for certain technique - for example AP and play it 10 times each: 10x1 lick, 10x2 lick, 10x3 lick, 10x4 lick. Than start it from the beginning. That way you'll be practicing 4 different exercises and same technique which will result in much bigger progress. AND - what is most important - it won't be boring.

Today i was practicing sweeping - and i created 4 new exercises and was rolling them one after another just like described before and it was totally cool, funny, interesting, in the end of practice session i felt a really good coordination with sweeps.

These are just some of my ways to practice....if you find it useful - good! If not - well - it works for me! smile.gif

Oh, and - having a good sleep before practicing is also a good thing to do. If you are tired, come from school or a job - drop on your bed, have a 1 hour nap, and than you'll have a killer practice session.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 12:09 AM