When Do We Play This Note In The C Major Scale
DragonX556
Apr 30 2007, 10:31 PM
GMC:er
Since you have to start on the root note, when do we ever play the circled note?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by DragonX556: Apr 30 2007, 10:35 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 30 2007, 10:36 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (DragonX556 @ Apr 30 2007, 05:31 PM) *
Since you have to start on the root note, when do we ever play the circled note?

The root notes are just a guide to allow you to figure out where the scale starts from. When formally playing scales you usually start from the root note (though you don't have to). In regular playing you can play that note whenever you need a low B in that position smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
DragonX556
Apr 30 2007, 10:55 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Apr 30 2007, 05:36 PM) *
The root notes are just a guide to allow you to figure out where the scale starts from. When formally playing scales you usually start from the root note (though you don't have to). In regular playing you can play that note whenever you need a low B in that position smile.gif

When i formally want to learn and practice the five boxes in the A minor pentatonic scale where do i start? For example on box 2 (http://guitarmasterclass.net/Skalor/Am_pentatonic_scale_box2.gif) do i start at the C or the root note?

Thanks.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 30 2007, 11:02 PM
QUOTE (DragonX556 @ Apr 30 2007, 05:55 PM) *
When i formally want to learn and practice the five boxes in the A minor pentatonic scale where do i start? For example on box 2 (http://guitarmasterclass.net/Skalor/Am_pentatonic_scale_box2.gif) do i start at the C or the root note?

Thanks.

When you are starting out, yes you can stick with the root note as the first note to actually learn the scales, until you are familiar with the sound and feel of it, but later on, be aware that there are extra notes you can get to below the root note, and you can gradually add them into your playing.

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Apr 30 2007, 11:03 PM

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
brainlesswonder
Apr 30 2007, 11:46 PM
A lot of fingering charts would leave the first B of the C scale in it's first position. If you are playing that particular scale you should start off on the root. (You don't have to start on the lowest root note however). Of course, you're more than welcome to start that scale on the B and then you'll just be playing the C major in Locrian mode (I think).

The best way to figure it out is just to get some backing tracks and see what sounds good. There is an extended blues track on the first blues lick lesson that would work well from that.

+Quote Post
DragonX556
May 1 2007, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the advice so far. Right now i'm working on box 3 of the A minor pentatonic scale. I don't really know how to finger it. Right now the only way i can think of doing it is like this, but after a while my pinky starts to hurt. How do you guys finger it?

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 1 2007, 01:00 AM
QUOTE (brainlesswonder @ Apr 30 2007, 06:46 PM) *
Of course, you're more than welcome to start that scale on the B and then you'll just be playing the C major in Locrian mode (I think).

... or playing a scale of C in which you start on a B ...

(Sorry, I'm going to be a little picky here, so don't take offence!)

You are completely correct about Locrian mode starting on the B and using the notes of the C major scale, but there is a little more to it than that ...

Its more than just the notes, its also the intent behind it and the chord structure used (a little hazy I know). So to be playing Locrian mode, you would also need to add a Locrian chord progression to the mix, and make B the tonal centre - which is a posh way of saying the chord that you base the riff around.

There is nothing wrong with starting a scale of C on the B note - some tunes rely on it, and if you play it over for instance a chord of C it definately isn't modal at all. By convention when we are practicing scales we start on the root note - that of course is perfectly sensible, but when playing songs in general there is no such restriction, and thousands of songs start their melody on the B or scalar equivalent (its the Major 7th). So,
  • Practice scales using the root note to start
  • Don't be afraid of the notes below the root
  • Definately use them when writing songs riffs and solos
The rest of your post was some sound advice smile.gif

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: May 1 2007, 02:46 AM

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
brainlesswonder
May 1 2007, 02:22 AM
QUOTE (DragonX556 @ Apr 30 2007, 07:29 PM) *
Thanks for the advice so far. Right now i'm working on box 3 of the A minor pentatonic scale. I don't really know how to finger it. Right now the only way i can think of doing it is like this, but after a while my pinky starts to hurt. How do you guys finger it?

I do not finger that with my pinky as it is shown. I just use the first and F.U. finger. (For fun, you can try playing it how I do (3 notes per string instead of two and you'll certainly get your hand stretched a bit more and build some pinky strength).

To build my pinky strength I played all power chords using my pinky istead of my ring finger for about 4 months, now I can squash little men with my pinky.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:39 PM