¿tuning In E Or Eb?
Mario87
Aug 26 2009, 03:44 PM
GMC:er
Some weeks ago I tuned my guitar to Eb to play a Marcus Lavendell lesson and since then I have been playing in Eb and I got really happy cuz its easier to do bends and vibrato. I even feel like I have a bit more sustain and maybe a bit more dirty sound as well, but I dont know the science about it, is just a feel.

But I started playing a song with rythm guitar, bass and drums in midi as backing track on guitar pro. That all sounded horrible, out of tune, and I thougth I would have to tune back to E my guitar. And I think it could be a problem to get used to play in Eb if when I go to play with someone else I will sound out of tune because usally other guitarrists will be tuned in E.

So finally I changued strings (needed to do since some months ago) and tuned in E. That was yesterday, and today my fingers hurts badly because of doing bends. I hate it. Really, its a pain to be able to play one day and the next you wont be able to play because your finger hurts.

I loved the Eb tuning sad.gif I always try to bend and do vibrato with at least two fingers and so on. And to be precise, is always the same problem, a pain in the index finger between the nail and the finger. The other 9 fingers feels fine smile.gif

Any idea? unsure.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Aug 26 2009, 03:50 PM
GMC:er
Well, if you want to leave the guitar tuned to Eb, and if you don't mind ignoring your inlays, you could always keep the guitar tuned to Eb and use a capo at 1st fret.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Fingerspasm
Aug 26 2009, 04:11 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
This is probably not the suggestion that you would like to hear. But its like everything else with the guitar. It just takes time and practice. Sore fingers are something that even seasoned guitarist deal with when they have not played for a week or two and then have to play all the time with lots of bending and vibrato. I went through the same thing when I got my latest guitar and it had 10's on it instead of 9's. It took me a week or two to bend properly and get the vibrato right after having played with 9's for so long. But I like the tone better with the 10's. You will only be better if you take the time to get yourself adjusted to the standard tuning again without trying to take a shortcut.

--------------------
My Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/user/FingerSpasm?feature=mhum

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes its the quiet voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 26 2009, 04:23 PM
Instructor
Hmm, while bending/vibrating the string you should keep ALL the fingers as a support, if you can do it. Also try to take it easy while bending, and dont' strain your fingers too much.

When you bend, try to bend upwards so that the while tip of the finger pushes the string upwards, don't let the skin stays on the string so you have to bend and push the string using the flesh between skin and nail. This will lead to pain. Just take it easy and push with the tip of the finger up, not the side of the tip.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:00 AM