Metronome Help!
fatstrat
Nov 7 2007, 08:27 AM
GMC:er
I've started practicing with the metronome and had a few questions come up.....

1. Practicing scales is fun, but how do I incorporate that into solo training once I have my scale structures down?

2. A few of the songs that I've created have some off time signatures and I'm finding it hard to practice those songs on the metronome. Any help?

Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear:

Guitars: Guild D-55, Taylor 110-E, 1992 Epiphone Sheraton II (JB neck and '59 bridge), PRS SE singlecut (SD Alnico II neck and Gibby Bustbucker Pro bridge)

Amps: Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25

Effects: Boss DD-7, BD-2, and Dunlop CryBaby
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Muris Varajic
Nov 7 2007, 09:19 AM
Instructor
This shouldn't be hard. smile.gif

Just use the same tempo from metronome as you have in your solo.
And if your tune has groove like 7/4 or 3/4,still use 4th as main note,count it's tempo and that's it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Spyle
Nov 10 2007, 01:37 AM
I'm really struggling with the metronome too when playing anything other than scales.

Did you try Kris' 101 on it? It helped me a little bit. I think another lesson that focused on playing songs to a metronome would help a lot.

Like this 4/4:

E|--------------------|--------------------|
B|--------------------|--------------------|
G|--9-9-9-9-9-9-------|--9-9-9-9-9-9-------|
D|--9-9-9-9-9-9-------|--9-9-9-9-9-9-------|
A|--7-7-7-7-7-7-----5-|--7-7-7-7-7-7-----5-|
E|--------------5h7---|--------------5h7---|

I don't know how to count like in the 101 lesson, I always end up uneven.

+Quote Post
steve25
Nov 11 2007, 01:53 AM
QUOTE (Spyle @ Nov 10 2007, 02:37 AM) *
I'm really struggling with the metronome too when playing anything other than scales.

Did you try Kris' 101 on it? It helped me a little bit. I think another lesson that focused on playing songs to a metronome would help a lot.

Like this 4/4:

E|--------------------|--------------------|
B|--------------------|--------------------|
G|--9-9-9-9-9-9-------|--9-9-9-9-9-9-------|
D|--9-9-9-9-9-9-------|--9-9-9-9-9-9-------|
A|--7-7-7-7-7-7-----5-|--7-7-7-7-7-7-----5-|
E|--------------5h7---|--------------5h7---|

I don't know how to count like in the 101 lesson, I always end up uneven.

All i can say is practice slow and accurate. No with that tab you've given us above, personally i'd probably do an eighth or a triplet note to that (3 notes per beat).

You have 6 chords, 2 notes with a hammer and a single note. So i'd probably try to play 3 chords per note, the other 3 chords then the 3 notes at first. But this is just how i'd do it until i learnt to speed up. But start with a slower tempo until you an play them all accuratly and in time.

This post has been edited by steve25: Nov 11 2007, 01:55 AM

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Nov 11 2007, 06:31 PM
Lets go fishing!
Hi guys,

I understand you are confused how to play certain licks to a metronome?

Is it that you are ok playing straight foward 16th note, and 16th note triplets but not other beats?

If so, i think it may be time for you guys to start reading up on Timeing & Time Signatures as this helped me ALOT with playing irregular beats once I had become more serious.

You could try starting with Andrews TIME 101 lesson. Then move onto Time 101 part 2

I think the reason you are ending up un-even is because Tabs do not give time information, therefore licks can often be hard to apply to a metronome correctly without more information.

When I apply licks to a metronome i read the musical notation to get the exact "low down" on how to play that lick correct - in time. You *dont* have to be able to read musical fully, but if you read andrews lessons as mentioned above he will explain how to figure out how to play the beats.

A little learning on "Timeing" can go a long way Gentlemen.

I hope I have helped a little. One last tip is that i use Tabs i always prefer to get Guitar pro tabs as they provide musical notation along side with the tabs. Hopefully in no time you will get used to learning with boths tabs and musical notation in "Harmony" wink.gif

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Nov 11 2007, 06:32 PM

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:36 AM