2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Favorite Historical Period
The Uncreator
Apr 18 2008, 01:16 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
So I think there are some other history buffs out there, I quite love it, I love to read it, study it, watch it, Its just cool to see how the world used to work, To me at least smile.gif

Anyway, If you had to pick one, What would be your favorite period of history to look back on?

Mine would be Ancient Chinese and Japanese history, the two cultures simply amaze me, Everything from the art, the music, the wars, the politics, It just gets me smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Apr 18 2008, 01:21 AM
Singing Instructor
I would like to see Egypt in time when Pharaons ruled...and the Pyramids where build...smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
VinceG
Apr 18 2008, 01:21 AM
GMC:er
im no history buff by any means but the Chinese truly have the best ancient culture in all the lands. My parents bought me a hand made art piece of a Chinese Spring, and its beautiful. The Philosophy are also very wise as well.

How about that underground army for one of the most famous war lords of Chinese land. That was magnificent as well. I forgot his name, but thats probably one of the best way to die is to have thousands of people make a hundreds of clay life size army while your buried in the middle of it all.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 18 2008, 01:41 AM
Qin Shi Huang was his name, the first emperor of China.

The Terra Cotta army is something rather Epic indeed, I want one smile.gif

+Quote Post
VinceG
Apr 18 2008, 01:52 AM
Then start enslaving millions of people and slowly take other countries lands then. I suggest South America, they have the best metal bands smile.gif

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
fkalich
Apr 18 2008, 02:35 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Apr 17 2008, 07:41 PM) *
Qin Shi Huang was his name, the first emperor of China.

The Terra Cotta army is something rather Epic indeed, I want one smile.gif

I was 10 feet from one a couple hours ago. My former graduate adviser has one, bought it in China I think. Not an original of course, a copy.

I have read a great deal of history. But keep in mind, in those times, and most all times before the emergence of democracies, life for the common man was brutal, and often short. Life was cheap. Real cheap. My understanding is, even by standards of the time, that first emperor was a monster.

A note, an interesting one I think. The great wall. It is noted by people, how did they think they could keep people out with that wall, how could you ever garrison it to make it effective, as long as it was? I have heard, the function was not to keep anyone out, but to keep them in, should they come in.

See, you can pick the spot to enter. But if you have to retreat, you probably can't. And then that wall is a problem, with the enemy closing in on you as you retreat. That was the purpose, to make armies think about that possibility, and to think twice before coming in.

+Quote Post
rokchik
Apr 18 2008, 02:55 AM
The Dark Canuck
I guess it would be a toss up between Russian history especially the revolution and the Roman Empire as my favorites.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Apr 18 2008, 03:21 AM
QUOTE (rokchik @ Apr 17 2008, 08:55 PM) *
Roman Empire as my favorites.

A very misunderstood people. The common perception of them is as a conquering people, bent on expansion. Actually that was not the case. In reality they sort of "backed into" the empire. They did not like "noisy neighbors", and that sometimes brought them across borders. But for the most part, they went where they were invited. Neighbors would ask them to come in and settle things, to keep the peace. Israel is an example, they invited the Romans in. And the Romans put up with them for a long time, they put up with a lot more than they typically would of other people. But the last straw occurred when some group killed about 2 or 3 hundred Roman soldiers. The attitude of the Romans was "look, you invited us in, we kept the peace, we put up with you all these years, and this is how you thank us??????".

Myself, I am pretty much an expert on American wars, especially the Civil War and WWII. These are two of the few wars in history, where you can really say they were necessary. All you have to do is be aware of what Hitler envisioned as the new world order, to know that. But it is not like I particularly "like" any period. Prior to the current times, since WWII, previous times have been pretty crappy for the common man for the most part. Your odds of living to adulthood were not great. Life was generally hard, often brutal for all but the privileged very few. Disease was rampant. I have never deluded myself into thinking I have not lived in the best of times.

Nuclear bombs may still do us in as a species. However for my life, they have really been a positive. No way the US and the USSR would not have fallen into WWIII had they not existed, with who knows how many 10's of millions dead, maybe 100's of millions, and who knows what outcome, had they not existed.

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Apr 18 2008, 07:50 AM
Instructor
ufff difficult question... maybe when humans didn't exist, unfortunately we are destroying this world sad.gif

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Apr 18 2008, 07:55 AM
I'm interested in history but not any particular time, just in general.
Too bad I didn't realize in school how interesting it is.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Apr 18 2008, 08:08 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Old Egypt where the pharaos ruled, the pyramids and temples were built and all the stuff going on at time smile.gif

Or as you say ancient chinese/japanese culture smile.gif

+Quote Post
Young Guitarist
Apr 18 2008, 08:12 AM
Id like to see the medieval war between england and france, the battle at Normandy! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Rock On!

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
Apr 18 2008, 10:21 AM
Instructor
Old Egypt...old Greece...medieval period...anything but not this present, especially in italy...

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Apr 18 2008, 10:30 AM
Instructor
The second world war has always been interesting to me. I got tons of documentaries and books about that tragic point in history.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 18 2008, 11:18 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Apr 17 2008, 05:35 PM) *
I was 10 feet from one a couple hours ago. My former graduate adviser has one, bought it in China I think. Not an original of course, a copy.

I have read a great deal of history. But keep in mind, in those times, and most all times before the emergence of democracies, life for the common man was brutal, and often short. Life was cheap. Real cheap. My understanding is, even by standards of the time, that first emperor was a monster.

A note, an interesting one I think. The great wall. It is noted by people, how did they think they could keep people out with that wall, how could you ever garrison it to make it effective, as long as it was? I have heard, the function was not to keep anyone out, but to keep them in, should they come in.

Man, thats awesome. Id love to go see the real things in person, Would be an awesome sight.

And yeah, Qin Shi Huang wasnt the most nice of Emperors, But still is regarded as an essential figure in China's history, Having unified China. And yes, Whether or not the Great Wall Of China was built to keep people out or in, It works both ways. You werent meant have it all defended at once, Just simply couldnt do it. But it was strong enough to keep you out as well. I think the terrain its built upon is good factor in this, Its not flat, its hilly, rocky, uneven terrain, Not easy to get an army over this, While getting through (at the time) a giant wall in your way.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Apr 18 2008, 11:41 AM
Japanese culture I always find really interesting and quite a dark history compared to many but for some reason I'm always drawn to find out more. I can't wait to visit the place next year. Great history.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Duncan
Apr 18 2008, 12:36 PM
1900 onwards has clearly been the most incredible time in history.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 18 2008, 02:05 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Wars of the Roses - England, 1475 - 1500. I used to do mediival re-enactment of that period, I would put on armour and go and beat the living daylights out of everyone with my hand-and-a-half sword - man that was fun, especially when we got to camp out in real castles overnight!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Apr 18 2008, 02:23 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Apr 18 2008, 02:05 PM) *
Wars of the Roses - England, 1475 - 1500. I used to do mediival re-enactment of that period, I would put on armour and go and beat the living daylights out of everyone with my hand-and-a-half sword - man that was fun, especially when we got to camp out in real castles overnight!

Lol. I bet that was fun. I've seen them advertised in UK. Bet it is a right laugh with a bunch of mates. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Pi38
Apr 18 2008, 02:25 PM
I'm not much of a history buff, but I've always thought that medieval times in Europe was pretty cool. All the swords and axes are awesome.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:07 AM