Injured Guitarists
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 25 2010, 03:00 PM
GMC Founder
Injuries have hurt (and sometimes helped) bands throughout history. They have caused bands to get replacements which have been harmful or beneficial to the bands success. Which band do you think suffered the most and benefited greatly from an injured member?

Oh an be sure to check out today's lesson - Mate covers awesome pentatonics in the style of Doug ldrich, of the band Whitsenake who was affected by a guitar injury.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 15)
K1R
Dec 25 2010, 03:59 PM
Learning Rock Star
Twisted Sister's first hit "Under the Blade" was written about an operation their guitarist lived through.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitar Altamira M01D, Samick Royale 3, Musima Lead Star 1
Effects Boss ME-25
Amp Stagg 40 GA DSP
DAW SONAR LE

YouTube | Facebook | Last.fm
“One day you pick up the guitar and you feel like a great master, and the next day you feel like a fool. It’s because we’re different every day, but the guitar is always the same…beautiful.” ~ Tommy Emmanuel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You have a whole collection of musical ideas and thoughts that you’ve accumulated through your musical history plus all the musical history of the whole world and it’s all in your subconscious and you draw upon it when you play” ~ Joe Pass

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 25 2010, 04:03 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
When I read the topic I inmediatly thought of Tony Iommy, who injured his fretting hand but kept playing nonetheless and is one of the most famous guitarists in the world despite that accident smile.gif

So I guess this is not exactly on-topic, but I guess just wanted to praise good old Tony wink.gif Anyone can become a great guitarists if they put enough effort!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 25 2010, 05:08 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Def Leppard, with a drummer who lost an arm in an accident they still managed to struggle on with Rick Allen by the drums.

EDIT: Ooops, he wasn't a guitarist

+Quote Post
slash48
Dec 25 2010, 05:16 PM
GMC:er
Django, he manages to play extraordinarily well even after the terrible fire accident. Les paul also. Dave of Megadeth was once told he could never play again but he got through it.

This post has been edited by slash48: Dec 25 2010, 05:22 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fre
Dec 25 2010, 05:17 PM
Learning Rock Star
Django Reinhardt lost many fingers in a burning caravan. Few years later he made outstanding songs with only 2 fingers on his fretting hand.

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Dec 25 2010, 05:33 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hm...tough question!
I know that Yngwie once broke his wrist (I gues due to his other hobby...fast cars) and changed his picking technique a bit after he recovered to be able to play as fast as before.
I also thought of Tony Iommi. I think Gilby Clarke (ex-GNR) also broke his wrist in a motorcycle accident once, but managed to play again.
Then of course I have to think about James Hetfield, who burnt his arm on stage. The roadie had to play guitar for the rest of the tour. I once saw a Metallica documentary on TV and James said: " So if you are a roadie, better learn the songs cause you might end up on stage".

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Dec 25 2010, 10:01 PM

wink.gif

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Bluesberry
Dec 25 2010, 10:47 PM
Learning Roadie
Pantera did suffer from the greatest injury of them all. sad.gif

Alright, that wasn't really the point, I guess. Dominic Frasca is one of the great players who just trained too much (14 hours a day or so) and had to take some years off.

This post has been edited by Kristian Hyvarinen: Dec 25 2010, 10:47 PM

+Quote Post
Mr T
Dec 26 2010, 12:27 PM
QUOTE (Fran @ Dec 25 2010, 04:03 PM) *
When I read the topic I inmediatly thought of Tony Iommy, who injured his fretting hand but kept playing nonetheless and is one of the most famous guitarists in the world despite that accident smile.gif

So I guess this is not exactly on-topic, but I guess just wanted to praise good old Tony wink.gif Anyone can become a great guitarists if they put enough effort!

Praise Tony indeed smile.gif He even downtuned his guitar so he didn't have to press down so hard to fret the strings. That defined their sound alot and influenced so many others.

--------------------

Roland Cube 30; Toneport GX; Cort kx1; Ibanez RG1570; Ibanez EW35ABE-NT

http://www.last.fm/user/Mr_T83

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 26 2010, 05:28 PM
Instructor
Django Reinhart made his whole career with just two fingers on the left hand!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 26 2010, 06:26 PM
Instructor
Well you guys have already covered lots of good suggestions here... one that springs to mind as it's current is it will interesting to see what Morbid Angel's new album will be like, as their superhuman drummer Pete Sandoval will not be on it due to having back surgery....

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 27 2010, 02:34 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Dec 26 2010, 07:26 PM) *
Well you guys have already covered lots of good suggestions here... one that springs to mind as it's current is it will interesting to see what Morbid Angel's new album will be like, as their superhuman drummer Pete Sandoval will not be on it due to having back surgery....

Do you know who would be replacing him?

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 27 2010, 03:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Dec 27 2010, 01:34 AM) *
Do you know who would be replacing him?

Yeah a guy called Tim Yeung (I think that's how it's spelt) smile.gif

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 27 2010, 06:00 PM
Instructor
thanks, I'll check him

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 31 2010, 05:57 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I think RHCP suffered a lot with the death of Hillel Slovak. But at the same time they gained a lot with John Frusciante. So it's a weird situation. With Hillel they would be much more unique and original but Frusciante brought them commercial success.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:55 PM