Another Pickup Advice Thread
Fullmetal_Tmd
Jan 23 2009, 03:47 AM
GMC:er
Well, ever since the demise of my main guitar, a highly modded Schecter Damien FR (sad.gif ), I've been forced to play my old Epiphone SG. She's a beauty, but everyone knows that Epi stock pickups aren't the greatest. So, obviously, I'm looking to change them.

First off, I love Doom metal and its other embodiments (Stoner, Sludge, Death/Doom, etc.) I love everything from 13 to Zoroaster, and everything inbetween (except Death/Doom bands turned Goth, sorry MDB). So i'm looking for something that provides tons of sustain, handles tons of fuzz and distortion, nice low end, band can take low tunings pretty well. I noticed that lots of guitarists in these bands, however, usually play using passive pickups (EMGs don't sound just right anyways, I've tried it). I heard most use more vintage voiced humbucker, and even P-90s in some cases. But i really don't know if high output pickups are what I need or vintage voiced ones.

Long story short, I need vintage sounding pickups that can handle multitudes of gain, or high output pickups that sound vintage.
My price range would probably be $100 (per pickup), and my setup is a Fender Superchamp XD, with a Red Witch Fuzz God 2, and a MXR 6 band Equalizer. Any recommendations are welcome. biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Fullmetal_Tmd: Jan 23 2009, 08:26 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:36 PM