2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Scratched Backs On Gibsons.
Gilmore
Jun 12 2008, 03:35 PM
GMC:er
How does the back of your guitars look. My LP and SG are both pretty scratched up at the back. I only had my LP for 2 months when i noticed the back side was heavily scratced. The SG even has dents in it. I don´t play with a belt, ´so it´s probably the jeans that make those marks. The plate over the electronigs are so scratched it´s like someone did a work on it with a nail. The Strat has no marks on it at all, that´s probably because of the Poly finish. I know it´s probably pretty common and I don´t worry about it. But I was wondering if you guys thought about this and take care of the backside.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Gibson SG 61´ Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2008 OW RW) , Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2003 2TSB MPL), Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Warmoth Telecaster (BlueBurst), Warmoth Custom (CherryBurst).
Accoustic Guitars: Ovation Custom Legend, Ovation Legend (12 string), Martin 000-15M.
Classical Guitars: Jose Ramirez 125 Ano (Cedar), Manuel Rodriguez Model D (Spruce).
Bass: Ibanez SRX500.
Keyboard: M-Audio Keystation 88es.
Recording interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DPS.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jun 12 2008, 03:42 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
My Jackson has quite a few scratches and little dents on the back, kind of inevitable though really I think, I use my guitars at rehearsals etc I think they catch the studs on the pockets of my jeans and stuff like that, I occasionally wear a belt so that hasnt helped either, In the main I dont worry too much about it though and not given it huge amounts of thought before.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jun 12 2008, 03:42 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
My guitars pretty scratched on the back but it's just on the plastic cover on the panels above the tremolo springs and electronics. I've only got a few scratches on the wood. If your scratches are on the back noone sees them so they don't really matter.

+Quote Post
Henry Dietzel
Jun 12 2008, 04:04 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Hammerin Hank)
My Les Paul is covered with scratches on the back, my opinion it adds a bit of character wink.gif I bet many would disagree-

This poor guitar has been through hell and back, the headstock got cracked off by accident

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Hammerin Hank: Jun 12 2008, 05:00 PM

--------------------
I have learned a lot, but I still have a lot to learn

Check out my video lessons

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jun 12 2008, 06:29 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Mine look new biggrin.gif

But I can agree it adds character though smile.gif

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Jun 12 2008, 06:35 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
My Jackson isnt that scratched on the back but my Ibanez is another story.

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
VinceG
Jun 12 2008, 10:14 PM
I think my Schecter's back is kinda scratched up. The Fender one though has a finish that makes smudges and scratches very subtle.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 12 2008, 10:19 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Back of my bass looks brand new and I never get wear marks there, but on the whole right side of the body (where the strap lock is up and down on that side) there are plenty of dents ,bumps and everything smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Slammer
Jun 12 2008, 10:23 PM
I'd rather have them in the back then the front

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 12 2008, 10:32 PM
QUOTE (Gilmore @ Jun 12 2008, 09:35 AM) *
How does the back of your guitars look. My LP and SG are both pretty scratched up at the back. I only had my LP for 2 months when i noticed the back side was heavily scratced. The SG even has dents in it. I don´t play with a belt, ´so it´s probably the jeans that make those marks. The plate over the electronigs are so scratched it´s like someone did a work on it with a nail. The Strat has no marks on it at all, that´s probably because of the Poly finish. I know it´s probably pretty common and I don´t worry about it. But I was wondering if you guys thought about this and take care of the backside.

mahogany is a soft wood, you need to quit doing some things you are doing. For example, don't lay it on a fabric couch (I keep a sheet handy, lay them on that), don't wear a metal belt buckle, or pants with metal fittings, watch out for zippers, stuff like that. Just don't make it worse.

Mine a pretty much scratch free, this can be avoided. However, whatever you have, you will get used to, just don't make it worse, change some things that you are doing.

I don't know about scratches adding character. I am pretty confident that most would accept the offer, should one's Fairy Godmother show up, to have her wave her magic wand and return your guitar to like new condition.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 13 2008, 04:03 PM
Instructor
I like that vintage look, so the more scratches the better smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Henry Dietzel
Jun 13 2008, 04:40 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Hammerin Hank)
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 13 2008, 11:03 AM) *
I like that vintage look, so the more scratches the better smile.gif

I agree Ivan, look at SRV's Fender that body was beat to hell....still sounded OK to me biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Hammerin Hank: Jun 13 2008, 04:41 PM

--------------------
I have learned a lot, but I still have a lot to learn

Check out my video lessons

+Quote Post
Strungout180
Jun 13 2008, 05:50 PM
I'm just waiting for the day my strat and Les Paul look all worn and beat to hell. It all just adds to the mojo of the guitar, in my opinion anyways.

--------------------
Electrics: Epiphone Japanese Les Paul Standard • Squire MIM Stratocaster/w. Texas Specials • Fender Robert Cray Standard

Acoustics: Takamine EG540 • Art & Lutherie Folk Cedar

Amps: Blackheart 5w/3w Little Giant

Effects: Boss SD-1 • Holy Grail Reverb • MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive • Boss DD3 Digital Delay • Crybaby Wah

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 13 2008, 10:54 PM
Instructor
SRV's number one had little metal pieces and chunks embedded in the wood from abuse. Talk about vintage look biggrin.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jun 14 2008, 09:19 AM
Instructor
I get scratchs on the back from day 1 smile.gif I dont mind though, it makes the guitar look played

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 14 2008, 09:32 AM
After reading this, I am very pleased that I damaged the rear bumper on my pickup truck backing into my boat trailer a few weeks ago. Added character to my truck.

You guys would have to pass the "Fairy God Mother" test to convince me, that if your guitars could be magical returned to mint, you would refuse.

Next time, you can take care of your guitars, and sell them, and buy a beat up one on ebay, and pocket some cash. Get that desired look right away and save money. Right. I'm convinced.

edit:

in another thread, Uncreator asked to name words you like. I will do so here, with the definition applicable to this thread.

Rationalize

3. To devise self-satisfying but incorrect reasons for (one's behavior): "Many shoppers still rationalize luxury purchases as investments"

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jun 14 2008, 09:36 AM

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jun 14 2008, 09:58 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jun 14 2008, 10:32 AM) *
After reading this, I am very pleased that I damaged the rear bumper on my pickup truck backing into my boat trailer a few weeks ago. Added character to my truck.

Haha laugh.gif

+Quote Post
jdriver
Jun 15 2008, 04:44 AM
Well it does make one wonder... Have you seen the prices on the Relic Strats? I saw the Joe Strummer one in Guitar Center the other day and I thought it looked awful, like something out of a dumpster, but apparently people like that. How they made the bridge look that grungy, i'll never know.

I'll keep my shiny and clean American Deluxe, thank you.

Edit: actually I think it was a Telecaster, but my point is the same. I read a funny story somewhere, about a "Rehab" series Strat. which would come with a video of the guitar spliced into concert footage of some former druggy playing it. Kind of like Forest Gump. So not only would it look beat up, it would come with it's own back story.

This post has been edited by jdriver: Jun 15 2008, 04:49 AM

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
JensN
Jun 16 2008, 12:40 PM
I had to think a bit about this one...

If I buy a brand new guitar, offcourse I don't want it to be a single scrath on it, any where. If I would buy a used guitar, well, that depends on the overall quality, feel, look and sound of it. A few scratches on the back, no biggie.

When it comes to my own guitars, I take care of them very good and try to make sure they are top notch as far as I can.
Howerver, scratches and maybe even a few dents on the backside will come and since I know how they got there they kind of add to the history of the guitar, adding to the characher and the feeling I have for my guitar. Somewhat like that favourite pair of jeans I'm sure most of us got a pair of. Those that's been worn so much they probably should go to the trash can, but they are all too comfy for that. Would I want someone elses worn down jeans? Nope!

I think that sums up how I feel about it. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gilmore
Jun 16 2008, 12:59 PM
I like my guitars to be as minty as possible, but I won´t minimize my playing to protect my guitars haha. Natural wear and tear is acceptible of course. But I wouldn´t buy a banged up guitar on ebay, and certenly not pay a fortune for a relic or some custom shop guitar that looks 50 years old with cigarette burns and stuff like that. Buy them in good shape and let them grow old with you with good care. SRV´s guitars probably did not have poly finish in those days, wow how can a guitar get that worn out, I bet nitro finished guitars could get like that eventually!

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Gibson SG 61´ Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2008 OW RW) , Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2003 2TSB MPL), Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Warmoth Telecaster (BlueBurst), Warmoth Custom (CherryBurst).
Accoustic Guitars: Ovation Custom Legend, Ovation Legend (12 string), Martin 000-15M.
Classical Guitars: Jose Ramirez 125 Ano (Cedar), Manuel Rodriguez Model D (Spruce).
Bass: Ibanez SRX500.
Keyboard: M-Audio Keystation 88es.
Recording interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DPS.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:13 AM