2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Dream Theater Vs Symphony X
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 6 2012, 03:21 PM
Instructor
Hello guys!! Today I decided to start a new combat between two of the most important Progressive Metal bands of all times... both are amazing, both are progressive but both are also very different.

What's your choice and why?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Nov 6 2012, 04:06 PM
GMC:er
It's funny to compare Allmighty Song Masters with bunch of show offs...
Symphony X wins this one with ease ,
thread closed

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Slavenko Erazer: Nov 6 2012, 04:08 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 6 2012, 04:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Nov 6 2012, 12:06 PM) *
It's funny to compare Allmighty Song Masters with bunch of show offs...
Symphony X wins this one with ease ,
thread closed

hahah I knew your vote mate! biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Nov 6 2012, 05:15 PM
Since I own a EBMM JP so...

I think my choice has to go to Symphony X. I like just how it all falls in place, the music, the intros, the neo-classical feel.

Dream Theater, love the music, the writing, ect. I can not stand James Labrie voice at all.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Nov 6 2012, 05:19 PM
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Nov 6 2012, 05:15 PM) *
Since I own a EBMM JP so...

I think my choice has to go to Symphony X. I like just how it all falls in place, the music, the intros, the neo-classical feel.

Dream Theater, love the music, the writing, ect. I can not stand James Labrie voice at all.

Yeah man, u're officially 101 % right!!

+ since Scenes from the memory album, D Theater are just repeating themselves over and over!!

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Nov 6 2012, 06:34 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Symphony X !!

Russell Allen's vocals alone blow away Dream Theater. cool.gif

Not to mention Michael Romeo is one of my fav. guitar players. I love his approach to shred and insane tapping. His playing always remains tasteful and plays within the song.

Still a big fan of Petrucci as a player, but DT as a whole doesn't always click with me. Sometimes I feel like I'm just waiting for the instrumental and solo parts. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Nov 6 2012, 07:09 PM
Probably Symphony X because of Russell Allen biggrin.gif

--------------------
Guitar
Suhr S4 Pro Series Bengal Burst

+Quote Post
BTrian
Nov 6 2012, 07:24 PM
Learning Roadie
phew.
never got really warm with Symphony X, some really awesome stuff around but some other ends up in the skip land pretty fast (might give it some more tries). Don't dig everything of the vocals there either.

Similar for the vocals on DT, wouldn't say that I just dislike Labrie, really love most aspects of his voice... the only big problem I have are those overdramatiic pressed vibrato things on high pitched passages (mainly live where they tend to fail, don't sound in place).

Also those 2 bands quite differ in style (DT started out rather Progressive Rock like to me, while Symphony X feels more powermetalish)
Would neither say they just copied themselves after Scenes from a memory, Imho the general songwriting went downwards. There are still some awesome songs and parts in the albums after, but no whole album.
It all went much into image and ego stuff (also to be seen in the promo pics biggrin.gif)
The main things I dislike on many albums after Scenes is the whole technical-wankery-just-play-it-faster-and-even-scale-noodling-with-an-ipad-will-sound-more-awesome-that-way attitude and the way they rather referenced other bands than experimenting on their own style (who ever wanted that band to sound like muse, evanescence, Metallica or Opeth?)
still more impressed by older stuff that didn't make it on the albums or side and solo project stuff from the members than stuff from the recent ones (though it already started to get better again)

any suggestions where to start a second try to soak in Symphony X?

This post has been edited by BTrian: Nov 6 2012, 07:26 PM

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Nov 6 2012, 07:41 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (BTrian @ Nov 6 2012, 06:24 PM) *
any suggestions where to start a second try to soak in Symphony X?

Have you listened to 'The Odyssey'? It combines both there older style and new... my personal fav. Divine Wings of Destiny is probably regarded as there best from the majority of fans (for good reason). Has some mind blowing neoclassical arrangements and epic songs.

Unlike DT, there newest album is actually a totally different and fresh approach for them. It not a "repeating the past" type album at all. There most aggressive album to date. They kinda do away with some of the neoclassical stuff which I miss but its still damn good.

Think I'm going to have to put on some Symphony X today. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Nov 6 2012, 09:03 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
I like both bands, listened to more DT songs than Symphony X ones.
I don't think these two bands are really comparable, and I think they're both great.
Vocal-wise, I prefer Symphony X. Then again...they shot one of the cheesiest videos ever. Love the song though, sounds a bit like Hammerfall laugh.gif

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 7 2012, 02:42 PM
Instructor
Thanks to Rusell Allen, Symphony is wining this match... biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Nov 7 2012, 03:13 PM
Russel Allen only? ohmy.gif

Listen to these extra grooves from the king of heavyness itself - Romeo

The thing with Symphony X is their consistancy every new album is better, or at least good as previous

And Allen has always reminded me on Raging RJ Dio (R.I.P. legend)

This post has been edited by Slavenko Erazer: Nov 7 2012, 03:15 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 7 2012, 04:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Nov 7 2012, 11:13 AM) *

The thing with Symphony X is their consistancy every new album is better, or at least good as previous

yes, he is not the only reason why Symphony is an amazing band... I also connect him to Dio, and with Masterplan's singer too...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
BTrian
Nov 7 2012, 04:32 PM
Learning Roadie
guess that's where personal tastes kick in.
while I really enjoyed the Odyssey, the last 2 vids posted here show why I possibly didn't already get further into that band.
Some nice parts in but most of it is just not my cup of tea.
I rarely enjoy straightforward heavy riffing (might be one of the reasons I'm quite selective on metal stuff in general)
and the solo on the last vid did just about nothing to me especially the middle part, feels more like "hey there is no solo in that song yet, let's put some fast noodling in and we're done" (one thing I don't enjoy about many of the more recent DT albums, too. might be modern and technically challenging but that's almost all about it)

And consistent better getting albums is a thing really rare in music in general and especially in genres where ppl. tend to experiment on their sound and stuff. (at least to me)
It's just very unlikely there is a band that I really enjoy and that keeps moving into a direction I enjoy the same or even more (doesn't mean the newer stuff is bad or it would be any good to just repeat things).
One of the few bands that did that to me was Opeth (though not sure what to think after the last album, yet)

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 7 2012, 04:48 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (BTrian @ Nov 7 2012, 12:32 PM) *
while I really enjoyed the Odyssey, the last 2 vids posted here show why I possibly didn't already get further into that band.
Some nice parts in but most of it is just not my cup of tea.
I rarely enjoy straightforward heavy riffing (might be one of the reasons I'm quite selective on metal stuff in general)
and the solo on the last vid did just about nothing to me especially the middle part, feels more like "hey there is no solo in that song yet, let's put some fast noodling in and we're done" (one thing I don't enjoy about many of the more recent DT albums, too. might be modern and technically challenging but that's almost all about it)

And consistent better getting albums is a thing really rare in music in general and especially in genres where ppl. tend to experiment on their sound and stuff. (at least to me)
It's just very unlikely there is a band that I really enjoy and that keeps moving into a direction I enjoy the same or even more (doesn't mean the newer stuff is bad or it would be any good to just repeat things).
One of the few bands that did that to me was Opeth (though not sure what to think after the last album, yet)

Good point of view mate. I liked your words about solos... it is true that sometimes it seems that metal bands add solos just because the songs needs one and record some fast shredding that nothing adds to the song...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Nov 7 2012, 06:33 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Nov 7 2012, 02:13 PM) *

Yeah, Romeo is the other half that makes Symphony X great for me (as I mentioned earlier). He writes all the music, produces, and is a riff and solo maestro. cool.gif

The riffing is more heavier, groove laden which leads to the songs being maybe more straight forward then in the past.

QUOTE (BTrian @ Nov 7 2012, 03:32 PM) *

like "hey there is no solo in that song yet, let's put some fast noodling in and we're done"

yeah, different strokes for different folks. I hear this solo and get charged up. I just love this kind of shredding and don't look at it as pointless. It is really tradition for bands like this to have the solos in almost every song. For me, not having the solos would be disappointing.

This post has been edited by DeGroot: Nov 7 2012, 06:35 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Nov 7 2012, 07:40 PM
yeah, i agree with Degroot , anyway would prefer this short noodling over pointless few minutes soloing-songs like the other mentioned band prefer ,but try to explain that to a teenger smile.gif

This post has been edited by Slavenko Erazer: Nov 7 2012, 07:41 PM

+Quote Post
wollace03
Nov 7 2012, 08:10 PM
always was a DT fan from the beginning..... scenes from a memory is the career highlight so far...

in the last years I startes to listen to symphony x and I really like them now..

so right now the oscar goes to symphony x.....15 years ago DT would have been the winner..

and you are right: russel allen is way better than la brie..

+Quote Post
Piotr Kaczor
Nov 7 2012, 09:29 PM
Instructor
DT is awesome but Symphony X is simply incredible! smile.gif so my vote goes to SX.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 8 2012, 12:20 AM
Instructor
Symphony X wins! Slavenko was right... the thread could have been closed after the second post...

any other progressive metal band that could compete with Symphony?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:20 AM