2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Family Problems, Yah, anyone else?
Oxac
Oct 29 2008, 07:15 PM
GMC:er
Hi guys, I really have a proglem when it comes to practising guitar. I like to play quietly, so I can hear every mistake I make and so that I can focus on what I'm doing to 100%. The problem is that even with a closed door, playing through a line6 guitarport thingy with headphones, I can hear my father and his girlfriend talk, watch TV etc. Every now and then my father walks in on me playing and interrups etc.

I have a lot to do with school projects and regular school work which I need to do when I come home, I need to do them ASAP and NOT start to play guitar, because if I start to practise guitar... the other stuff I need to do won't be done.

That gives me about 1 hour of practising TOPS before they get home. If I want to practise then, I have to crank the volume on my headphones up so high that I can't hear them, but then it's hard for me to stay focused and to hear every mistake, because of the high volume.

I really need absolute silence from everything else when practising, and smallest interruption may demotivate me very much. Anyone know what to do?

This thing has made me practise from like 23:00 - 02:00 in some cases 03:00. That's not a healthy habit if school starts at 08:00...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wrk
Oct 29 2008, 07:27 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I would suggest you to get some closed headphones. Some are really well capsulated for outside noise. I have the AKG K271, i'm sure something similar is available for lesser money as well. But with them you can be "alone" whenever you want .. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 29 2008, 07:27 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
How about getting some noise supressing headphones? That might help!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Canis
Oct 29 2008, 07:47 PM
Learning Rock Star
I have noise supressed heaphones. It works great ^^
Only problem I have, is that if someone do need to get contact with me, they startle the living daylights out of me ph34r.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kjutte
Oct 29 2008, 08:11 PM
QUOTE (Oxac @ Oct 29 2008, 07:15 PM) *
Hi guys, I really have a proglem when it comes to practising guitar. I like to play quietly, so I can hear every mistake I make and so that I can focus on what I'm doing to 100%. The problem is that even with a closed door, playing through a line6 guitarport thingy with headphones, I can hear my father and his girlfriend talk, watch TV etc. Every now and then my father walks in on me playing and interrups etc.

I have a lot to do with school projects and regular school work which I need to do when I come home, I need to do them ASAP and NOT start to play guitar, because if I start to practise guitar... the other stuff I need to do won't be done.

That gives me about 1 hour of practising TOPS before they get home. If I want to practise then, I have to crank the volume on my headphones up so high that I can't hear them, but then it's hard for me to stay focused and to hear every mistake, because of the high volume.

I really need absolute silence from everything else when practising, and smallest interruption may demotivate me very much. Anyone know what to do?

This thing has made me practise from like 23:00 - 02:00 in some cases 03:00. That's not a healthy habit if school starts at 08:00...

Honestly, if you can't concentrate even with headphones on, then something else is wrong... I don't have any advice, unfortunately.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 29 2008, 08:35 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well we all have different problems , mine is opposite - its often too loud playing a huge amp along side songs on the stereo and then I get interrupted to "lower the volume" smile.gif But I would definitly suggest finding closed or noise suppressing headphones! That will help you with all your practicing problems! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Oxac
Oct 29 2008, 08:57 PM
I keep the volume so low that I can hear the sound produced by the guitar, that's the way I like to practise... When I can't do that, it's hard for me to spot my mistakes and I like to find my mistakes, if I can't... how should I know what to practise?

Also, the time when it's absolutely quiet and I can unplug and play without an amp, that's the times that I treasure the most. I mean, I love the sound of a plugged in guitar, but everytime I plug in, I just go on overdrive channel and YEAH! I'm eddie van halen who recently drank a bottle of coffee!! YAAY! etc...

Could be that I'm stressed out with school atm, I have way too much to do. I have to use all of my energy for that.

(Sorry for dumping my problems on you guys.)

This post has been edited by Oxac: Oct 29 2008, 09:04 PM

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Oct 29 2008, 09:05 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
There is almost no point in this way of practicing. Practice with a lot of gain, because than You will produce much unwanted noise if the strings aren't properly muted, or are touched accidentally, and on clean channel to train the clean playing. Noone beside You will hear the "natural" sound of the instrument... This is my humble point of view anyway;)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Oxac
Oct 29 2008, 09:08 PM
I dissagree about that. I can feel that unwanted noise when playing (if I play without an amp). I also get my attack and dynamics to be where I want them. Also, with amps I have to focus on finding the great tone as well. I don't have to do that when unplugged. At least, when playing unplugged there's no urge to play heavy rock chords... I can focus on my scales, intervals etc...

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Oct 29 2008, 09:24 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Easy... Move out! smile.gif

Really though..Sorry to hear about your problems.

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
Mark.
Oct 29 2008, 09:25 PM
QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Oct 29 2008, 09:05 PM) *
There is almost no point in this way of practicing. Practice with a lot of gain, because than You will produce much unwanted noise if the strings aren't properly muted, or are touched accidentally, and on clean channel to train the clean playing. Noone beside You will hear the "natural" sound of the instrument... This is my humble point of view anyway;)

True, I used to play with a very clean tone but if I cranked up to volume and the distortion I couldnt keep things clean then you even get noise by moving your hands across the strings. Luckily I can get it sound pretty clean now even with distortion on max smile.gif So I'm doing the reverse thing if I want to get something clean I practice it with lots of distortion. Playing fast is a different story because with distortion you can just play faster somehow, so for practicing speed I play with a rather clean tone.

+Quote Post
seagull
Oct 29 2008, 09:30 PM
Well, if your problem is that you keep losing focus, then maybe it's because your schoolwork is distressing you too much.
I graduated this summer, so now it's just work from 07:00-15:30 and practice from 17:00 to ?.....
I don't have problems focusing on the things I know I need to practice, because if you are comfortable with the things you KNOW you need to work on, you will also easily be able to focus on them. Just keep focusing on what you're doing instead of what the other people in your house are doing. smile.gif
I know it may be hard, as it seems you're very observant (Onagi, lol), but being able to focus more concentrated on things is also something that develops with growing older.

So my advice is, play some power chords with gain and loudness when you just feel like fooling around. When you feel like you need to practice scales and such, put on your headphones (or just continue with the amp), turn up the volume so that you won't be disturbed too much by your folks in the house. Because I don't believe that practicing with very low volume develops that much more that with gain and overdrive. Try to stay in between too much and too little - both with gain and volume. One day when you're standing at a gig, you won't be able to control the volume that much yourself, so you need to be able to play loud as well.

It's all about being prepared for the things that you're less comfortable with and still be able to pull off the things that you're most comfortable with.
Good luck, and try to stay motivated - preserve the fun in playing guitar. smile.gif

+Quote Post
berko
Oct 29 2008, 09:39 PM
QUOTE (Oxac @ Oct 29 2008, 09:57 PM) *
I keep the volume so low that I can hear the sound produced by the guitar, that's the way I like to practise... When I can't do that, it's hard for me to spot my mistakes and I like to find my mistakes, if I can't... how should I know what to practise?

Also, the time when it's absolutely quiet and I can unplug and play without an amp, that's the times that I treasure the most. I mean, I love the sound of a plugged in guitar, but everytime I plug in, I just go on overdrive channel and YEAH! I'm eddie van halen who recently drank a bottle of coffee!! YAAY! etc...

Could be that I'm stressed out with school atm, I have way too much to do. I have to use all of my energy for that.

(Sorry for dumping my problems on you guys.)

It's a wise approach to focus on precision and the best way to do this is to practice a lot on little volume. However, I don't suggest you to play completely without your guitar plugged in, because it's alright that you feel when other strings are vibrating too with an unplugged guitar, but it's a totally different business to handle a cranked up volume... wink.gif It's still better to be precise with a silent guitar than becoming deaf of electric sound-turmoil dry.gif

On your problem - I would suggest some advanced earphones too.

If you have a song or a GMC lesson you are confident with, or just some licks, you should turn that volume knob a little and show your neighbours what you've got right there... biggrin.gif

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Oxac
Oct 29 2008, 10:52 PM
I dunno, what I mean is pure exercises ex. Going triads up the major scale in each position.

G B D, A C E, B D F# etc. I really enjoy doing that when I'm unplugged. Playing deafening solos like technical difficulties, Norwegian Cowbell, Eruption etc. I like to do loud. Practising theory however, I like it silent and full focus on what I'm doing.

I'm not going to state everything I do in school atm, I'm on a 1 week vacation atm and I don't want to start to think about it, but it's much. My total studying time, including time at school is probably 55h a week. + I sometimes have the worrying about tests feeling. But they've been to be for an hour and a half, I've been having 100 % focus since, and now is my first 15 minute break. Thanks for all of the great replies so far, I'll look up on noise supressed earphones, that might work pretty good. That's the kind that Paul Gilbert uses on stage, right?

Thanks guys.

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 29 2008, 10:55 PM
Instructor
Noise suppressing headphones might be solution indeed,
you can still playing quite without hearing noise around that much.

Bose has some cool models,QC2 is probably most popular one.

But honestly,if you want to work more on your dynamic
that you should really try with more volume,not gain/drive,just volume.
Everything that is louder shows us our mistakes more clearly,
now, maybe you were talking about gain and that has sense,
more gain hides mistakes and kills dynamic.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 30 2008, 12:20 AM
Instructor
Muris is right, more gain kills dynamics, it is good to practice clean and loud. I would recommend some Shure in-ear monitor earphones. This will keep you in quiet and enable you to hear your sound very precise. Shure SCL4 E4 should be enough, but there are other cheaper ones.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Kapto
Oct 30 2008, 09:33 AM
Show your father this thread it might help wink.gif

--------------------
"It's a long way to the top..."

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 30 2008, 10:02 AM
Like others have said get some noise suppressing headphones. Basically in a simple explanation they cut down exterior noise and you can listen to your headphones at lower levels and hear a lot less atmospheric noise. These should do the trick. They are fairly expensive but it'd mean you can practice easily whenever you want smile.gif This will probably lower your stress as it means you can do your school work knowing you can have some good practice time afterwards.

Here is a fairly cheap set.

http://www.digitalreviews.net/reviews/2005...headphones.html

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: Oct 30 2008, 10:05 AM

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Oxac
Oct 30 2008, 11:08 AM
I'm thinking about these http://www.thomann.de/se/extreme_isolation_ex29.htm as well. They seem really good, and they're quite cheap in comparison to the other brands and their models. Paul Gilbert uses them and he really recommends them.

What do you guys think?

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 30 2008, 11:20 AM
They aren't as good as some but I think you'll notice the difference. The English isn't great on there so I find it hard to understand what they are saying but I think I get it and I'd say they are well worth getting. smile.gif

Remember with headphones though you AREN'T (Are Not) allowed to take headphones back due to health issues.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:27 PM