2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Essential Listening?, For aspiring guiarists
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 16 2007, 02:50 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Ok, imagine I am an alien from the planet Zog Prime in the Orion Cluster, sent to Earth on a mission to learn about this amazing Earthling phenomenon called "Guitar" that is unlike anything else in the Galaxy. I must select the cream of earth guitarists and return to Zog with examples in digital form.

If you could each pick 3 guitarists and one album from each that best showcases their skills, what would they be? Not necessarily your favorites, but guys that have blown you away with their technique and originality, any Genre ...

(This is actually a transparent attempt to improve on my woeful lack of knowledge and build up my CD collection!)

I'll start with:

Dave Gilmour - The Wall
Jimmy Page - Led Zep IV (Controversial I know, but I only have this album)
Brian May - Its a Kind of Magic

Any others?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 16 2007, 03:03 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Oh, and I forgot,

Kristofer Dahl - Collection of Sins !

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 16 2007, 03:06 PM
Instructor
Michael Angelo - Planet Gemini
Rusty Cooley - Rusty Cooley
Steve Vai - Alien Love Secrets

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Rvddps
Feb 16 2007, 05:15 PM
GMC:er
Steve Vai - Passion and Warfare
Joe Satriani - Time Machine (a collection of his best songs)
any queen is good, i cant think of an album off hand

This post has been edited by Rvddps: Feb 16 2007, 05:15 PM

+Quote Post
InstruMental Cas...
Feb 16 2007, 05:20 PM
Paul Gilbert - Get Out of My Yard

Rusty Cooley - Rusty Cooley

Shawn Lane - Powers of Ten

This post has been edited by InstruMental Case: Feb 16 2007, 05:21 PM

+Quote Post
browq
Feb 16 2007, 07:23 PM
david gillmoure - The division bell

Liquid Tension Experiment - Liquid Tension Experiment part 1 and 2

Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans

+Quote Post
raqroso
Feb 17 2007, 01:59 AM
Television: Marquee Moon
Chuck Berry: the great 28

+Quote Post
fkalich
Feb 17 2007, 02:17 AM
1) I would use maybe Vai or Satriani, and say "here is how you can be the worlds greatest virtuoso on the guitar, and still be boring"

2) I would put on Ramones "Rocket From Russia" and say "here is how you can be utterly simplistic with guitar and still have neat songs".

3) I would then play Cheap Trick "Live at Budokan" and say, here is how a band can have a very good guitarist(by 1978 standards) and how hardly anyone know it because he never showed off skills unless he has a good reason to in context of the song being played.

I think the space aliens could take it from there.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Feb 17 2007, 04:27 AM

+Quote Post
brainlesswonder
Feb 17 2007, 02:28 AM
I'd give 'em a 50 dollar guitar and my vinyl copy of <i>Learn to Play Guitar with the Ventures.</i>

+Quote Post
fkalich
Feb 17 2007, 04:31 AM
QUOTE (brainlesswonder @ Feb 17 2007, 02:28 AM) *
I'd give 'em a 50 dollar guitar and my vinyl copy of <i>Learn to Play Guitar with the Ventures.</i>

good reply brainless. If Space Aliens came, I feel that would size the planet up, take the Dogs and Cats back to the home planet, and then vaporize those dopey hairless apes and useless creatures taking up space.

So we don't want to give them too much help. The Ventures might confuse them, and force them to return to their home planet for consultation, perhaps giving us a few extra years.

edit: oh, people should list where they are from, and a picture. Nice to know. Don't worry if you are ugly. I win 1st prize here in that category. I have the dog in the photo as a distraction from that, sort of how women lacking large breasts sometimes wear something wrapped around their neck as a distraction

This post has been edited by fkalich: Feb 17 2007, 04:37 AM

+Quote Post
dogman
Feb 17 2007, 05:45 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Feb 16 2007, 08:50 AM) *
If you could each pick 3 guitarists and one album from each that best showcases their skills, what would they be? Not necessarily your favorites, but guys that have blown you away with their technique and originality, any Genre ...

With so many great guitar players out there you cant do justice to them all, but I would say if I had to pick 3 for the most prolific, ahead of their time, song texture, dexterity and pure tasteful guitarmanship that just blows you away when you sit back and just listen would be....

1. Alex Lifeson __________2112
2. Randy Rhoads ________ Blizzard of Ozz
3. Eddie Van Halen ______ Van Halen 1

Edit: A very honorable mention that was very tough to leave out was
Jimmy Page__________Led Zeppelin 1

This post has been edited by dogman: Feb 17 2007, 05:53 AM

+Quote Post
Aryo
Feb 17 2007, 02:47 PM
For truly great guitar plz visit the following mr alien.............................

1- THE MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL, JIMMY PAGE- any of the first four albums
(especially one and two!)

2-Eric clapton- John mayall and the blues breakers, one of the most influencial and important albums in rock history, and in my opinion the great mans best work (you canchek out any of his work and stil be blown away)

3- Randy Rhoads: anything really from him would show mr alien how virtuoso a guitaist can get.(blizard of oz probably)

DONt show them steve vai, rusty cooley or satarini, they would flee! Great guitar work has to be put in great context, and althought the guitar work is great, most of the songs would bore them to death!

+Quote Post
fretdancer
Feb 17 2007, 05:56 PM
Please Mr Alien,

I apologise for my friends above, you see they can only see what is on the end of there own nose, they think of the guitar only as they play it. Whilst each of them has truly shown you some of our greatest artists who indeed display unbelievable artistry, they show only a small fraction of the possiblities of the guitar.

If you wish to show your planet the guitar, you must show a representative view of it, therefore I would like you to consider the following.

We have several types of guitar but they fall into 3 main types, we have acoustic nylon strung guitars that are mainly used for what we know as classical music but perhaps the greatest and most versatile and complete players are those that practice the art of Flamenco guitar.
Please check out the following example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZYgfXkZBKg

We also have steel strung acoustic guitars and again, we have many styles of play but for incredible virtuosity I present the following example. There are many greater players, this is but a small example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX0eTp7SoNU

then of course we have the electric guitarist. Againt there are a multitude of different styles of play but one of my favourite string pluckers is the legendary David(never call him Dave) Gilmour. My good friends in the previous posts have shown just how versatile the Electric guitar can be. now let me show you a true master.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Php_clYhTh4

I hope from the above 3 examples you will see that the guitar is indeed a multi faceted and incredibly versatile instrument that is uniquely expressive in the way that no other instrument can be.

In the hands of the masters I have illustrated above, no one can fail be be impressed by the range of sounds and expressions that it can deliver.

Mr Alien, I present to you. the guitar - humankinds finest achievement in the musical arena.

--------------------
its not easy
banging your head against some mad buggers wall.
Variax 300. Pod XTL & Crate amp
some of my recordings are here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergb/

+Quote Post
Aryo
Feb 17 2007, 10:16 PM
gd point fretdancer. There are many types of guitar. But Jimmy page still owns electric and steel acoustic. Classical i donty really know about.......................

+Quote Post
brainlesswonder
Feb 18 2007, 05:58 AM
QUOTE (Aryo @ Feb 17 2007, 08:47 AM) *
For truly great guitar plz visit the following mr alien.............................

1- THE MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL, JIMMY PAGE- any of the first four albums
(especially one and two!)

2-Eric clapton- John mayall and the blues breakers, one of the most influencial and important albums in rock history, and in my opinion the great mans best work (you canchek out any of his work and stil be blown away)

3- Randy Rhoads: anything really from him would show mr alien how virtuoso a guitaist can get.(blizard of oz probably)

DONt show them steve vai, rusty cooley or satarini, they would flee! Great guitar work has to be put in great context, and althought the guitar work is great, most of the songs would bore them to death!

Jimmy Page is the most overrated guitarist in the history of the universe.

This post has been edited by brainlesswonder: Feb 18 2007, 05:59 AM

+Quote Post
buckjones
Feb 18 2007, 06:43 AM
QUOTE (brainlesswonder @ Feb 17 2007, 11:58 PM) *

brainlesswonder - i completely respect your opinion but don't agree with it... look at the riffs and licks that man has came up with!! he's brought us some of the most powerful guitar riffs! ones that really stick out from the rest.

now i agree he's not the best but he's one of the most recognized sounds out there in rock history and to do that you've gotta be doing something right!!

--------------------
See profile for gear...

Tim Mahoney makes my day.

+Quote Post
Guitar Master123
Feb 18 2007, 07:44 PM
What does overrated meen?

--------------------
Country
Rap
Hip-Hop
Altenative
Punk
Classical
Reggae
Gospel
Heavy Metal
BlueGrass
Rock N' Roll

Mahalo!
Merry X-Mas
And a Happy New Year!

+Quote Post
Aryo
Feb 18 2007, 08:56 PM
QUOTE (brainlesswonder @ Feb 18 2007, 04:58 AM) *

are you kidding me? "jimmy page is overrated" is the single dummest thing ever typed
Do u even know who Jimmy page is? Have you ever even listened to a led zeppelin track???????

Either you were kidding or you really are some kind of spasticated fish/baboon/deaf person.

Jimmy page practicly invented Rock guitar, if it wasnt for him you would still be limited to Jazz , country and blues. SO dont chat anymore shit plz.

This post has been edited by Aryo: Feb 19 2007, 08:34 PM

+Quote Post
brainlesswonder
Feb 18 2007, 09:14 PM
QUOTE (buckjones @ Feb 18 2007, 12:43 AM) *
brainlesswonder - i completely respect your opinion but don't agree with it... look at the riffs and licks that man has came up with!! he's brought us some of the most powerful guitar riffs! ones that really stick out from the rest.

now i agree he's not the best but he's one of the most recognized sounds out there in rock history and to do that you've gotta be doing something right!!

lol... I was joking. It's just some follow up humor from a previous post.

QUOTE (Aryo @ Feb 18 2007, 02:56 PM) *
are you fucking kidding me? "jimmy page is overrated" is the single dummest thing ever typed
Do u even know who Jimmy page is? Have you ever even listened to a led zeppelin track???????

Either you were kidding or you really are some kind of spasticated fish/baboon/deaf person.

Jimmy page practicly invented Rock guitar, if it wasnt for him you would still be limited to Jazz , country and blues. SO dont chat anymore shit plz.

Yes. I agree entirely. "Rock Guitar" didn't exist before Jimmy Page. I can't even type that with a straight face. I get it now, Hendrix is overrated but Jimmy Page invented Rock n' Roll. It's kinda silly that you react to the same comments you make with crazy name calling.

One demerit for you!

+Quote Post
buckjones
Feb 18 2007, 09:37 PM
QUOTE (brainlesswonder @ Feb 18 2007, 03:14 PM) *
lol... I was joking. It's just some follow up humor from a previous post.

haha... i wasn't sure if you were tryin to start an all out war or if i should just cry for a couple of hours! laugh.gif just messin.......................

nate

--------------------
See profile for gear...

Tim Mahoney makes my day.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:50 AM