Birds Eye View Of The Modes On The Neck
SirJamsalot
Sep 17 2014, 10:18 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey,

So I put together a theoretical 14 string guitar, well, actually, just two stacked 7 string necks. They are both in standard tuning, and the 7th string is added at the high-note-end instead of the typical 7 string guitar's low B. I did this so you can see the repeating pattern of the modes, if the guitar just continued for one more string. There are 7 modes, therefore, you need 7 strings, one to start the top of each mode.

I.e. From top to bottom, the strings are EADGBE ADGBEA

Being able to recognize a mode by the pattern is sometimes helpful, especially when you are trying to determine the key of a song quickly, by simply hitting a few notes in scale order - you'll be able to recognize the pattern.

Pretty interesting actually.

Viewing the image below:
If you start the pattern on the first string, you will play the Mixolydian scale pattern, which can be identified by the distance between frets for the the 3 strings. In the case of the 3nps myxolydian scale, one fret between each note for all 3 strings. Easiest of the patterns to recognize.

Attached Image

If you start the pattern on the second string, you will play the Ionian scale pattern, likewise identified via 3 strings worth of pattern.

Note that the distance between the E string and the A string, tonally is a 4th, which makes sense, that starting on the A string of the first neck would equate to the beginning of the the ionian pattern, 4 tonal notes away from the Mixolydian pattern.

1. Mixolydian
2. Aeolian
3. Locrian
4. Ionian

I labeled the starting points of all of the modes, had this neck been extended like I did.

If you view each pattern as 9 dots, 3 dots per string, you can visually see what the mode looks like.

For instance, Ionian and Mixyolydian compared look like this

CODE
    Ionian        |      Myxolydian
X......X......X    |    X......X......X
X......X......X    |    X......X......X
X......X...X       |    X......X......X

Phrygian Looks Like this

X......X...X
X...X......X

And if you travel from one neck to the next, note that Dorian looks like this (opposite pattern of Lydian)

...X...X......X
X......X......X

Naturally, looking down at your neck, you'll have to some visual translation / reversing to do, but the patterns are consistent, which means if you practice visualing the patterns, then at any given point, if you recognize a "pattern top" (usually only takes 2 strings), you know what pattern is sittting on top of it. Good for pattern recogniztion when you're on stage and knowing notes just doesn't happen quick enough.

comments?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by SirJamsalot: Sep 17 2014, 10:30 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:24 PM