13 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Applied Music Theory Workout, for every level!
GuitarsANDtattoo...
Jan 21 2016, 12:15 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 20 2016, 09:54 AM) *
Hi and welcome to this workout! smile.gif

Your take shows that you are doing an interesting search with this task. You tend to be melodic and seem to be always searching for clear phrases and the use of different elements to make them sound always unpredictable. This is definitely the right track in this work.

I recommend you to continue exploring and experimenting with this, trying different rhythms and note lenghts. You can also check this suggestions: LINK

And then share a new take. Deal?

Awesome! I will do this! Thanks for the input!! biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Practice, you must!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 21 2016, 08:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 20 2016, 07:30 PM) *
Thanks Gab
It doesn't really make sense to me but it's not you, it's a language thing. I'll have a good think about it wink.gif

It's very simple and should be reasonable! For example, if you jam using A major scale and then jam only with A pentatonic major scale, you will be always playing notes from A major key, however the note choices and melodic lines that you'll get will be different because in the first one you have more notes to play.

If I give you three tasks:

- Create a short phrase using A major scale.
- Create a short phrase using A pentatonic major scale.
- Create a short phrase using A major arpeggio.

You'll surely get 3 different ideas and combinations of notes. This kinds of tricks can be done while improvising to keep phrasing fresh.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 21 2016, 10:02 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Gab,

I think I understand what you're saying. Hopefully this is what you asked for.

Cheers

A major
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/assignment-1-sub-task-1

A major pent
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/assignment-1-sub-task-2

A major arpeggio
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/assignment-1-sub-task-3

Thanks Gab

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 22 2016, 01:51 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! That's exactly what I was meaning! This is not part of the assignment but it's cool to know that learning different approaches to scales and shapes can open our possibilities when improvising. Then, when making music, we should be able to combine everything to expand our musical limits.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 22 2016, 08:25 PM
Thanks Gab,
I tried to keep a similar theme just to see the outcome with the different amount of notes.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 22 2016, 10:35 PM
Instructor
And what do you think? Have you got different ideas?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 22 2016, 10:48 PM
Hello Gab
I have many ideas but when I start playing I go back to the things my fingers know well smile.gif
I meant that I kept the same idea for the three example wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
GuitarsANDtattoo...
Jan 23 2016, 10:49 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 22 2016, 03:48 PM) *
Hello Gab
I have many ideas but when I start playing I go back to the things my fingers know well smile.gif
I meant that I kept the same idea for the three example wink.gif

I actually can relate to this issue of playing out of habit. I'm currently trying to improve my solos and rhythm chord choices right now, which is a bit of an overhaul. The solo thing is kind of unnatural for me, I ignored it for so long that coming back and fixing it is a bit of a pain, but the rhythm issue is more related to learning new chords and expanding my choice of direction with them. Ultimately, the hardest thing is getting into new lick ideas for solos...for some reason I get a bit stuck or come up empty handed when it comes to blending solidly set licks.

Maybe studying established solos and lick ideas would help? It's a pain for me, but I think that'd be the way to go. Find a good video of a simple solo and learn it, then jam around with some backing tracks or something like that. Kind of like what we're doing in this thread.

I think my ultimate goal is to be as solid as I can with Stoner/Doom/Retro-Rock solos. So old-school licks are where I need to be digging. The band Mastodon provides EPIC inspiration in this field, The Sword as well.

This post has been edited by GuitarsANDtattoos: Jan 23 2016, 10:54 PM

--------------------
Practice, you must!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 24 2016, 06:46 AM
Instructor
You are totally right! That's a good way to expand your guitar vocabulary in relation to improvisation. There is a recent lesson by Kris in which he shares really interesting approaches to develop phrasing and improvisation. You should check it out:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Your-First-Phrases/

And tell me what you think!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 24 2016, 10:15 AM
QUOTE (GuitarsANDtattoos @ Jan 23 2016, 09:49 PM) *
I actually can relate to this issue of playing out of habit. I'm currently trying to improve my solos and rhythm chord choices right now, which is a bit of an overhaul. The solo thing is kind of unnatural for me, I ignored it for so long that coming back and fixing it is a bit of a pain, but the rhythm issue is more related to learning new chords and expanding my choice of direction with them. Ultimately, the hardest thing is getting into new lick ideas for solos...for some reason I get a bit stuck or come up empty handed when it comes to blending solidly set licks.

Maybe studying established solos and lick ideas would help? It's a pain for me, but I think that'd be the way to go. Find a good video of a simple solo and learn it, then jam around with some backing tracks or something like that. Kind of like what we're doing in this thread.

I think my ultimate goal is to be as solid as I can with Stoner/Doom/Retro-Rock solos. So old-school licks are where I need to be digging. The band Mastodon provides EPIC inspiration in this field, The Sword as well.

Great advice, thank you smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 25 2016, 02:30 PM
Instructor
Ok friends! Last two weeks. How is it going?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 25 2016, 02:39 PM
Hello Gab,
I've learned how the chord fits with the pentatonic scale.
I'm struggling with those sequences, but that's more technique than theory.
I'm going to post some more examples very soon, hopefully my imagination will give some different feelings.
Thanks for this thread Gab smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 25 2016, 07:55 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Tom51
Jan 25 2016, 03:23 PM
Learning Roadie
I must admit that I did not work on this workout the last few days. I was so engaged in my lessons that I did not realized how time goes by. But I will start this evening again. So give me a few days please wink.gif

I really like this and also learn a lot from other posts! Hope this will bet a permanent workout here at GMC. Tom

Just one chord questions...I was playing around with barre chords and found a good sounding one I do not know how to name. Maybe its an inversion and I did not find the root.

Take any fret and barre with 3rd finger D-G-B string and mute high E string and with 2nd finger fret low E string and mute A.
(all on same fret)
Is does not sound major to me but I could not find it out.Does anyone know what it is?

This post has been edited by Tom51: Jan 25 2016, 03:36 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 25 2016, 09:58 PM
Another simple little tune. I tried to keep a theme rather than noodle smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/assignment-1-take-7

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Lester
Jan 25 2016, 11:33 PM
Learning Roadie
I just got started with the 3rd task, I don't really like this last task to be honest, I prefer to land on the other non-chord notes biggrin.gif

Is there a special idea behind it btw?

+Quote Post
GuitarsANDtattoo...
Jan 26 2016, 12:43 AM
I'm thinking I will have another sound clip to post here by tomorrow. I'm working on a couple lick lessons to help the process along \m/

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 23 2016, 11:46 PM) *
You are totally right! That's a good way to expand your guitar vocabulary in relation to improvisation. There is a recent lesson by Kris in which he shares really interesting approaches to develop phrasing and improvisation. You should check it out:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Your-First-Phrases/

And tell me what you think!

Hey! Just checked out the video! Great suggestion for this lesson thread \m/ This is some awesome food for thought. Sometimes an alternative suggestion such as this can change the way your brain grasps certain concepts that were otherwise troubling. Very cool.

--------------------
Practice, you must!

+Quote Post
Lester
Jan 26 2016, 09:25 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (GuitarsANDtattoos @ Jan 26 2016, 01:43 AM) *
I'm thinking I will have another sound clip to post here by tomorrow. I'm working on a couple lick lessons to help the process along \m/

Hey! Just checked out the video! Great suggestion for this lesson thread \m/ This is some awesome food for thought. Sometimes an alternative suggestion such as this can change the way your brain grasps certain concepts that were otherwise troubling. Very cool.

I also checked that, seems useful, especially if we are going to continue down this path with this thread. nice one! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 26 2016, 02:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Tom51 @ Jan 25 2016, 11:23 AM) *
I must admit that I did not work on this workout the last few days. I was so engaged in my lessons that I did not realized how time goes by. But I will start this evening again. So give me a few days please wink.gif

I really like this and also learn a lot from other posts! Hope this will bet a permanent workout here at GMC. Tom

Just one chord questions...I was playing around with barre chords and found a good sounding one I do not know how to name. Maybe its an inversion and I did not find the root.

Take any fret and barre with 3rd finger D-G-B string and mute high E string and with 2nd finger fret low E string and mute A.
(all on same fret)
Is does not sound major to me but I could not find it out.Does anyone know what it is?

Hi mate, I'm also glad about how this thread is turning! I love the energy here. Let's keep making this one great!

I'm not sure about the chord that you are talking about, could you please share a tab or anything? You can use our scale generator.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 25 2016, 05:58 PM) *
Another simple little tune. I tried to keep a theme rather than noodle smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/assignment-1-take-7

Sounds good Phil! Keep on exploring the scale with this musical direction!

QUOTE (GuitarsANDtattoos @ Jan 25 2016, 08:43 PM) *

QUOTE (Lester @ Jan 26 2016, 05:25 AM) *
I also checked that, seems useful, especially if we are going to continue down this path with this thread. nice one! smile.gif

Great guys! That video lesson is SO inspiring and "on spot". I also think that is a must-see for everybody who is following this path.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Jan 26 2016, 03:17 PM
Learning Roadie
I was thinking about this chord Gab. Could this be an Amin add7 ?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 26 2016, 05:12 PM
Instructor
It's Am7. Beautiful chord.

Some other positions for the same chord:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:49 AM