Counting Quarter Note Triplets
Guitar1969
Nov 20 2008, 08:11 PM
GMC:er
I have been working on Timings and Triplets, as well as working on alternate picking sppeds - Working on Muris' Timing lesson. And I can handle the 8th note and 16th note triplets okay (Mainly because of Kris Metronome lesson), but the Quarter Note Triplets are throwing me off - What's the best way to count these since the notes don't fall evenly on the beats(6notes over a 4 beat bar), and on 16th note triplets is there another way to count instead of :

1 2 3 4 5 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 as Kris does as this can get difficult for changes within the measure since there's no differentiation between the beats( 1 2 3 4) or is this how all of you do it.

Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
Emir Hot
Nov 20 2008, 08:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Guitar1969 @ Nov 20 2008, 07:11 PM) *
I have been working on Timings and Triplets, as well as working on alternate picking sppeds - Working on Muris' Timing lesson. And I can handle the 8th note and 16th note triplets okay (Mainly because of Kris Metronome lesson), but the Quarter Note Triplets are throwing me off - What's the best way to count these since the notes don't fall evenly on the beats(6notes over a 4 beat bar), and on 16th note triplets is there another way to count instead of :

1 2 3 4 5 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 as Kris does as this can get difficult for changes within the measure since there's no differentiation between the beats( 1 2 3 4) or is this how all of you do it.

Thanks

Imagine these are 8 16th notes in half a 4/4 bar

S S S S S S S S

The next one shows where the quarter triplet comes (see accent)

< < <
S S S S S S S S

Pick just those 3 accents and you played a quatret triplet in half a 4/4 bar

I edited this post 3 times. First I made mistake twice and second I didn't know how to type tab in the forum

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Emir Hot: Nov 20 2008, 09:40 PM

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Nov 20 2008, 09:27 PM
Instructor
I am confused, Emir's explanation seems to be for a dotted quarter note (the duration of 3 8th notes). I might be mistaken because theory is something I don't focus on a lot, but I thing a quarter note triplet duration should be twice the duration of an 8th note triplet. So you should fit 3 notes equally spaced in a half note time duration. Am I right or wrong?

So a 4/4 bar should have 12 eight note triplets, then it should have 6 quarter note triplets.

At slow speed it becomes very hard, but at faster speeds, all I do is tap with my foot every half note, I pretend that that is my click, and play triplets between.

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Nov 20 2008, 09:50 PM
Instructor
Looks like you were typing while I was editing the post smile.gif I noticed I made mistake and I fixed it.

it is actually very difficult to show it like this. This tab text is not accurate. I will make a picture with notes and post it.

-----------------------

ok again

top row is 2 quarter triplets and botom row is 4 eight triplets. All that in one 4/4 bar

1 2 3 1 2 3
1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3

This post has been edited by Emir Hot: Nov 20 2008, 10:19 PM

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Nov 20 2008, 10:31 PM
Instructor
The better way to think a triplet is to visualize a measure where the counting figure is the 8th note. All irregular values like triplets or sextuplets are taken from there as when you are in a compound measure and you have four 8th notes and they are marked as irregular. This kind of irregular values (3 and 6 in a simple measure and 2, 4 and 8 in a compound measure) are nothing else than an exchange.

So now that I've explained that if you have to know where the quarter triplet is you have to think (if you are in a 4/4 measure) in a 12/8 measure. So now imagine that you have tied two 8th notes and so on.

I leave you a guitar pro file to clarify.
Play it and listen, then check out the theory.

biggrin.gif

I hope it was helpful.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Triplets.gp5 ( 1.65K ) Number of downloads: 382

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 20 2008, 11:50 PM
Instructor
The way I count a 16 triplet in one beat is like this:

ta ta ta - ta ta ta

so for a whole bar with 4 beats I count:

ta ta ta - ta ta ta
ta ta ta - ta ta ta
ta ta ta - ta ta ta
ta ta ta - ta ta ta

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 21 2008, 12:52 AM
Instructor
Those triplets are not hard at all if you're playing alone.
But if there's metronome and it counts 8ths per example
or even worse,you have a drummer who plays everything but triplets,
then it really might get tricky.
Good idea is to take a word or phrase that you can split into 3 parts,
they say it and play over it.
Per example HERE I GO.

Should be like this.

1 2 3 1 2 3
HERE I GO HERE I GO

Each Here I Go should be played over half of the 4/4 bar,
so you have 2 of them over one bar,try it. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Nov 21 2008, 03:17 AM
Instructor
I have very simple advice. I won't give you all the theory behind counting - Emir already did that.
Instead I will give A SONG you can associate quarter note triplets with!

This was very emotional song for me when I was 17-18 but I won't get into more details. smile.gif

Listen to the intro riff.
Intervals of 4ths descending going down by diatonic 2nds.

Enjoy

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crazyfret
Nov 21 2008, 01:52 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Nov 20 2008, 11:52 PM) *
Those triplets are not hard at all if you're playing alone.
But if there's metronome and it counts 8ths per example
or even worse,you have a drummer who plays everything but triplets,
then it really might get tricky.
Good idea is to take a word or phrase that you can split into 3 parts,
they say it and play over it.
Per example HERE I GO.

Should be like this.

1 2 3 1 2 3
HERE I GO HERE I GO

Each Here I Go should be played over half of the 4/4 bar,
so you have 2 of them over one bar,try it. smile.gif

+1 on saying a phrase.

I was told, (by a drummer!) to say E - VEN- LY to count triplets to get the 'feel' of triplets in 4/4 time.

--------------------
"I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order." Eric Morecambe

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Sep 16 2009, 10:53 AM
GMC:er
Check out first lesson and gp5 of: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Slow_B...n_A_Minor/#last
biggrin.gif Oh I see the last post is almost 2 years old..anyway useful...

This post has been edited by Nighthawk1: Sep 16 2009, 10:54 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:42 AM