3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Leaving My Job, to focus on guitar
waynedcoville
Feb 13 2015, 11:54 PM
GMC:er
wow good luck to you. i wish i had more time to focus on music but...money.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Carvin 6 string bass (walnut neck and body w/burl maple top)
Carvin 5 string AE fretless bass(mahogany neck and body w/ quilt maple top)
Dean 8 string bass
Danelectro BassVI
Washburn 5 string acoustic bass
Hartke HA3500 w/ 4-10x1-15
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Zoom B9.1ut / Crybaby
Monster cables

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AdamB
Feb 14 2015, 07:03 PM
Congrats! smile.gif Just in practical terms though, have you saved up a bunch of money to live on?

Yea, I've thought about that stuff. I've been planning to do the guitar-intensive thing for a long time, many years. I wasn't sure when I was going to do it, but I've been preparing for it until I felt ready, so I've had a long time to get that stuff sorted.

I've been very, very lucky in my life (...so far...), so I have a place to live which I can maintain very cheaply. I have savings I can survive on for a while. I have the ability to run month by month on very little money if needed (unless something catastrophic happens to my house or something). I have a supportive fiance who also has steady employment. I have had a good career in games so far, and feel I have enough contacts, a good enough CV and good enough skills that I can find work - either freelance or more permanently - if and when I decide to do that.

Long term, what I think would be ideal is that I get enough freelance work that I can switch between concentrating on games and concentrating on playing guitar as I want over the years, because I love both of those things.

But for the short term (the next year or two), I feel like I need to spend a great deal of time on the guitar, as I've spent 8 years or so on games and 0 years on the guitar!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 14 2015, 07:22 PM
Awesome! You won't regret it.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 14 2015, 11:33 PM
GMC Founder
Wow this is really exciting! I am really looking forward to following your journey.

Btw may I invite you to our collab? cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 15 2015, 04:59 AM
Having a supportive Fiancee is a wonderful thing. Hopefully she will become a supportive wife if things work out smile.gif Having a significant other that really "gets it" can make al the difference.

QUOTE (AdamB @ Feb 14 2015, 02:03 PM) *
Yea, I've thought about that stuff. I've been planning to do the guitar-intensive thing for a long time, many years. I wasn't sure when I was going to do it, but I've been preparing for it until I felt ready, so I've had a long time to get that stuff sorted.

I've been very, very lucky in my life (...so far...), so I have a place to live which I can maintain very cheaply. I have savings I can survive on for a while. I have the ability to run month by month on very little money if needed (unless something catastrophic happens to my house or something). I have a supportive fiance who also has steady employment. I have had a good career in games so far, and feel I have enough contacts, a good enough CV and good enough skills that I can find work - either freelance or more permanently - if and when I decide to do that.

Long term, what I think would be ideal is that I get enough freelance work that I can switch between concentrating on games and concentrating on playing guitar as I want over the years, because I love both of those things.

But for the short term (the next year or two), I feel like I need to spend a great deal of time on the guitar, as I've spent 8 years or so on games and 0 years on the guitar!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 15 2015, 12:53 PM
Learning Rock Star
Good luck with your musical journey! I think it's what many people dream of doing! smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
AdamB
Feb 16 2015, 04:16 PM
Btw may I invite you to our collab?

Ah cool. Yea I want to do this (and do some rec videos, as I feel that would be useful). I will probably join whatever is available come April, as that's when my working contract expires and I will begin my new guitary life and thus have time in my practicing schedule to do the more creative things I've been neglecting rather than just pushing technique; I'm going to be splitting my time reasonably evenly between technique work and creative/new things.

+Quote Post
AdamB
Apr 11 2015, 08:58 PM
So on Monday I'm starting a 5 day 'practice 10 hours a day' thing, to see how that goes.

The week after I have some video game stuff to do, but I thought I'd try it for 5 days to see what troubles I run into mentally/physically, then in the following weeks I can use what I've learnt to build up a better picture of how I'm going to structure my practice sessions.

I'll probably update my blog on my progress as I go.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 15 2015, 08:53 PM
"Video game stuff"? Playing or working on a new game?

QUOTE (AdamB @ Apr 11 2015, 03:58 PM) *
So on Monday I'm starting a 5 day 'practice 10 hours a day' thing, to see how that goes.

The week after I have some video game stuff to do, but I thought I'd try it for 5 days to see what troubles I run into mentally/physically, then in the following weeks I can use what I've learnt to build up a better picture of how I'm going to structure my practice sessions.

I'll probably update my blog on my progress as I go.

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Apr 16 2015, 04:43 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 13 2015, 07:29 AM) *
1) No. Even the greats who practise for many hours a day had times where they didn't practice that much. I think the stories of certain players practising 8+ hours a day have to be taken with a pinch of salt and understood in context. They may have gone through periods of time where they may have spent that long on playing but I bet you it wasn't everyday, constantly for many years. They also may have spent much of that time composing it just jamming along to songs. It wouldn't have been constant 'work'. Also, setting yourself such a heft demand is more like an albatross around your neck. Guitar should be fun. The more you enjoy it, the more inspired you are to go to it the next day. With what you're proposing you'll burn right out, I guarantee it.

I can say from my own experience that I've never made nearly as much progress from setting a certain time period to practice as from playing something my heart wanted me to play.

In the past I kept a log to track how much I practiced, and would set certain time goals for each day. I would have time for scales, songs etc...

Eventually, it became a chore. I would lumber on through three hours of practice, each minute just waiting for the allocated hour for scales to end so I could play what I really wanted to play. I also got injured, and it forced me to stop playing a couple of times. Cubital Tunnel Syndrome is a bitch.

I began to despise it, partly because I wasn't making the progress I thought I should've been making, and also because I was taking time away from enjoying other things, like beer, boobs and random shenanigans.

I'm not against being methodical about your approach. But for me, being systematically rigid didn't work. Something I'm doing for pleasure shouldn't be rigid (no pun intended Ben hahaha) If you're thoroughly enjoying playing or practicing you'll do it throughout the night and not even realize it.

If you're already practicing a few hours everyday and not making much progress I suggest you modify your approach before you make drastic changes to your life.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 16 2015, 09:07 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Apr 16 2015, 03:43 AM) *
I was taking time away from enjoying other things, like boobs

That is all, sir. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
AdamB
Apr 16 2015, 09:38 AM
"Video game stuff"? Playing or working on a new game?

Yea, we've not put much info up on it but you can check it out here.

I can say from my own experience that I've never made nearly as much progress from setting a certain time period to practice as from playing something my heart wanted me to play.

In the past I kept a log to track how much I practiced, and would set certain time goals for each day. I would have time for scales, songs etc...

Eventually, it became a chore. I would lumber on through three hours of practice, each minute just waiting for the allocated hour for scales to end so I could play what I really wanted to play. I also got injured, and it forced me to stop playing a couple of times. Cubital Tunnel Syndrome is a bitch.

I began to despise it, partly because I wasn't making the progress I thought I should've been making, and also because I was taking time away from enjoying other things, like beer, boobs and random shenanigans.

I'm not against being methodical about your approach. But for me, being systematically rigid didn't work. Something I'm doing for pleasure shouldn't be rigid (no pun intended Ben hahaha) If you're thoroughly enjoying playing or practicing you'll do it throughout the night and not even realize it.

If you're already practicing a few hours everyday and not making much progress I suggest you modify your approach before you make drastic changes to your life.

Thanks for your insight. I agree that it's not for everyone, but I enjoy the systematic approach. As such I don't think this is such a problem for me, I've been practising in this manner for 4->5 hours a day for years already. It's now just that it's an all day thing rather than having to fit it around work. This week I've done over 33 hours as I type this, with 17 more left to go this week, and I feel happy about it. then band practice on the weekend. I have time in my schedule for working on a lot of different things now - learning songs, sight reading, lots of technique stuff I couldn't fit in before.

+Quote Post
AdamB
Apr 17 2015, 07:45 PM
Just finished today's practice.

Did 50 hours of practising this week, except for the tired feeling in my hands it doesn't really feel like it.

It do think I've improved a lot just in this past week though.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 17 2015, 10:57 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (AdamB @ Apr 17 2015, 07:45 PM) *
Just finished today's practice.

Did 50 hours of practising this week, except for the tired feeling in my hands it doesn't really feel like it.

It do think I've improved a lot just in this past week though.

That's great dedication, man! I wish I could find the same sort of motivation! Well done, but watch out and take care of yourself, mentally and physically with your hands and arms.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 18 2015, 08:06 AM
Well said smile.gif It's far too easy to overdo it and give yourself carpal tunnel syndrome sad.gif Just make sure to warm up and cool down, before and after play smile.gif

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 17 2015, 05:57 PM) *
That's great dedication, man! I wish I could find the same sort of motivation! Well done, but watch out and take care of yourself, mentally and physically with your hands and arms.

Very cool!! So your doing some programming on the side? Game looks very fun smile.gif What platform is it for?

QUOTE (AdamB @ Apr 16 2015, 04:38 AM) *
Yea, we've not put much info up on it but you can check it out here.

+Quote Post
AdamB
Apr 20 2015, 05:23 AM
Very cool!! So your doing some programming on the side? Game looks very fun smile.gif What platform is it for?

Yea, at the moment the plan is to alternate between a week of intensive 50 hour practice and a week 30 hours of practice + working on my own games.

So, this week is split between playing guitar and doing some coding for Orbit, and next week will be another 50 hour practice week.

Confirmed platforms for Orbit are currently PC, Mac, Linux, Xbox One.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 21 2015, 03:01 PM
That's great!
I haven't put in 8 hours a day consistently since my late 20s ... but I did do it a lot and it certainly did a lot for me.

The last four days (Friday through Monday) I was able to spend a lot of time with my guitar. I even had a breakthrough of sorts ... which is pretty rare these days.

Keep it up Adam.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 21 2015, 03:02 PM

+Quote Post
AdamB
Apr 28 2016, 11:28 AM
So I've been out working on music for pretty much a solid year, and I haven't really been on here since - I've been lost in the guitar void.

Now I'm at a little over 7k hours of practice all told and am out gigging regularly, though I am working again now (I'm now freelancing working from home coz I started running out of money to keep myself fed lol! So I still get to play a few hours every day but not as much, like 4 hours).

What I have learnt thus far is that no amount of practice will make me a super awesome shredder, I think there's some vital piece missing in my brain that would allow that to happen, I'm nowhere near where I thought 7000 thousand hours would get me in terms of musicality or technical ability. I still very much feel like an intermediate player in every way.

It's interesting that if I just widdle away playing whatever I can usually play OK, but as soon as I have to play something 'correctly' or 'the same as last time' it's impossible!

So, I'm still planning on meeting my goal of 10k hours, just coz I said I would do it, but I'm moving some hours over to a change in direction. I think at this point pushing forward with more technique stuff at full throttle isn't going to help, so I have now started writing music - I figure it's about time I start putting something out into the world anyhow. Anyone interested can hear my short demo on my SoundCloud to get an idea of the direction it's taking:

https://soundcloud.com/adambradleyguitar/se...ng-machine-demo

Cheers!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 28 2016, 11:55 AM
GMC Founder
It's really cool to hear back from you. I admire you for keeping your promise to yourself (and to us..!? biggrin.gif )

Could you let us know how your routine looked, ie what kind of stuff you practiced on a daily basis?

Btw that clip sounds very promising to my ears!

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 28 2016, 01:33 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
brilliant to hear how its been going dude smile.gif
really interesting to read your progress. Im curious how you maybe quantify your shreddy progress. did you have a benchmark or a usual BPM you were roughly hitting before as a comparison to your current level?

btw the tracks on your soundcloud are very good.

This post has been edited by bleez: Apr 28 2016, 01:33 PM

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:05 AM