1m Ohm Pot Vs Wide Open
Mudbone
Mar 16 2012, 03:50 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I'm going to be changing the pickups in my Strat again. It currently has D.Allen HotVintage54's in the neck and middle and a DiMarzio Chopper in the bridge. Its a good combination that I like, and sounds great clean and with some moderate crunch. But once the gain is dialed up, two problems arise: the Chopper in the bridge doesn't have enough bottom end, and more importantly, the single coils hum way too much.

So, I've decided to install a trio of rail pickups from DiMarzio. It will be as follows:

Bridge: BC-2
Middle: Chopper
Neck: Cruiser Bridge model

I want the neck pickup to be nice and bright, so I was thinking of not connecting the tone pot at all. However, I would like to have the option of running the neck in series or parallel, and that probably would require a push/pull pot. The brightest pot available that I know if is the 1M ohm pot.

So heres my question: is there any noticeable difference between a 1M ohm pot and running the pickup wide open?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
The Uncreator
Mar 16 2012, 06:28 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
There essentially the same thing, and I prefer the push/pull because then the option to use it is always there. If there is a difference at all the human ear probably can't perceive it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Mar 16 2012, 08:10 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Mar 16 2012, 01:28 PM) *
There essentially the same thing, and I prefer the push/pull because then the option to use it is always there. If there is a difference at all the human ear probably can't perceive it.

Do you mean the difference between 1M ohm and wide open, or the difference between series and parallel?

--------------------

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Mar 16 2012, 08:29 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
1ohm and wide open, couldn't get into the series or parallel thing as my experience with them is limited.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 16 2012, 09:45 PM
GMC:er
Personally I'd run with the 1M Pot and use a mini-toggle for the phase/paralle switch. It does mean drilling a small hole in the scratchplate for the swith though, so if you didn't want to do it that way then a Push/pull Pot is the obvious way to go.
The reason I'd go the switch route is simply that it's easier to trace the wiring and a little less cluttered when soldering!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Mar 16 2012, 10:33 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Mar 16 2012, 09:45 PM) *
Personally I'd run with the 1M Pot and use a mini-toggle for the phase/paralle switch. It does mean drilling a small hole in the scratchplate for the swith though, so if you didn't want to do it that way then a Push/pull Pot is the obvious way to go.
The reason I'd go the switch route is simply that it's easier to trace the wiring and a little less cluttered when soldering!
biggrin.gif

I have found that push-pulls are to slow for live shows
my active bridge does not have a tone , cause I ever use it- if you think you will use , better get one

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Mar 17 2012, 10:27 PM
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Mar 16 2012, 04:45 PM) *
biggrin.gif

This is a great point. Switches are also pretty easy to use, and I can run the neck pickup wide open. Just the only problem is I would like for the guitar control area to be as simple as possible, for aesthetic reasons really biggrin.gif

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Mar 16 2012, 05:33 PM) *
I have found that push-pulls are to slow for live shows
my active bridge does not have a tone , cause I ever use it- if you think you will use , better get one

Warmoth sells push/push pots, which is the way I would go if I were to install a multi-functional tone pot.

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:27 PM