> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

Jesssej's Guitar Expressionsim From A To Z
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 17 2012, 06:37 PM
Instructor
Hey Jesse biggrin.gif hehe this is your personal mentoring thread wink.gif

In here we can discuss everything needed to make you reach your goals and even go beyond them smile.gif

Out of what I understood so far, you want to be able to express yourself with the aid of your guitar - that is a long journey and it has many obstacles to conquer but in the same time it's beautiful and filled with rewarding moments smile.gif

Now I suggest we should do the following - since you are ok with your theory (am I right?) we should break down solos and see what other people did and used smile.gif you can learn them and when you master them you can come up with your own solo over the backing track we are working with smile.gif we can use the tremendous amount of lessons available here on GMC.

what say you my new friend?

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
JesseJ
Mar 17 2012, 07:58 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 17 2012, 05:37 PM) *
Hey Jesse biggrin.gif hehe this is your personal mentoring thread wink.gif

In here we can discuss everything needed to make you reach your goals and even go beyond them smile.gif

Out of what I understood so far, you want to be able to express yourself with the aid of your guitar - that is a long journey and it has many obstacles to conquer but in the same time it's beautiful and filled with rewarding moments smile.gif

Now I suggest we should do the following - since you are ok with your theory (am I right?) we should break down solos and see what other people did and used smile.gif you can learn them and when you master them you can come up with your own solo over the backing track we are working with smile.gif we can use the tremendous amount of lessons available here on GMC.

what say you my new friend?

Cosmin

This is where my theory is at : I know the major scale and how to make it . And I know the minor pentatonic scale in all of its form's and am currently working on how to move between the different form's with slides . I also know bends,hammer on's, pul off's , slide's, vibrato , So thats all I know about soloing . Where should we go from there ?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Never miss an opportunity to play

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 18 2012, 02:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JesseJ @ Mar 17 2012, 06:58 PM) *
This is where my theory is at : I know the major scale and how to make it . And I know the minor pentatonic scale in all of its form's and am currently working on how to move between the different form's with slides . I also know bends,hammer on's, pul off's , slide's, vibrato , So thats all I know about soloing . Where should we go from there ?

Hey mate! I would very much like to see and hear you in action so if you would like, let's pick out a lesson you like and which you can tackle while being relaxed. Can you record yourself when playing? That would aid A LOT to your progress wink.gif

let me know and we can rock n roll right away!

Cosmin

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Mar 18 2012, 02:24 PM

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Mar 18 2012, 08:02 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 18 2012, 01:23 PM) *
Hey mate! I would very much like to see and hear you in action so if you would like, let's pick out a lesson you like and which you can tackle while being relaxed. Can you record yourself when playing? That would aid A LOT to your progress wink.gif

let me know and we can rock n roll right away!

Cosmin

I went to by a piece so I could hook up to my computer and record but it didn't end up working so I am going to have to keep looking until I find the right piece . And what lesson do you think I should start working on ? currently I am about halfway through Ivan's Penatonic workshop.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 19 2012, 11:32 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (JesseJ @ Mar 18 2012, 07:02 PM) *
I went to by a piece so I could hook up to my computer and record but it didn't end up working so I am going to have to keep looking until I find the right piece . And what lesson do you think I should start working on ? currently I am about halfway through Ivan's Penatonic workshop.

Since you want to learn phrasing mainly, I think we should start with easy blues solos which will help you by adding expression to your playing. The whole idea here, is to pick up as many elements out of the solos in these lessons and add them to your playing smile.gif

What do you think about these? Which one do you like best?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...loing-beginner/

Cosmin

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Mar 22 2012, 05:16 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 19 2012, 10:32 AM) *
Since you want to learn phrasing mainly, I think we should start with easy blues solos which will help you by adding expression to your playing. The whole idea here, is to pick up as many elements out of the solos in these lessons and add them to your playing smile.gif

What do you think about these? Which one do you like best?

Cosmin

HAHA How do you know SOOOO much ?!?!?! I didn't even know that I wanted to learn phrasing until you told me ! I will start working on the top lesson , and I am still trying to look for a piece so I can record . Btw thank you so much for all your help so far ! I am looking forward to learning lots smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 22 2012, 09:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JesseJ @ Mar 22 2012, 04:16 PM) *
HAHA How do you know SOOOO much ?!?!?! I didn't even know that I wanted to learn phrasing until you told me ! I will start working on the top lesson , and I am still trying to look for a piece so I can record . Btw thank you so much for all your help so far ! I am looking forward to learning lots smile.gif

Woohoo biggrin.gif glad to know I can be of assistance wink.gif Sure thing, let me know if there's stuff you're having trouble with in that one, k?

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Mar 28 2012, 02:20 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 22 2012, 08:22 PM) *
Woohoo biggrin.gif glad to know I can be of assistance wink.gif Sure thing, let me know if there's stuff you're having trouble with in that one, k?

So I just Finished the Mixolydian solo lesson and it was fun ! It is always nice to have another lick in the bag smile.gif Unfortunately I still don't have the equipment to record , but I am hoping to find that this weekend . Btw I was wondering what that one thing is that you have to focus on to become a killer guitarist ? And what lesson do you think I should work on next ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 28 2012, 08:30 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (JesseJ @ Mar 28 2012, 01:20 AM) *
So I just Finished the Mixolydian solo lesson and it was fun ! It is always nice to have another lick in the bag smile.gif Unfortunately I still don't have the equipment to record , but I am hoping to find that this weekend . Btw I was wondering what that one thing is that you have to focus on to become a killer guitarist ? And what lesson do you think I should work on next ?

Hmm, to become a killer guitarist you have to be able to play like yourself in the best posible way biggrin.gif that is achieved by learning how to practice diligently regarding technique and not being afraid to sound like yourself.

Like in any new language, the first thing to do is to learn the words smile.gif so, intervals, chords, arpeggios and scales are our words in this situation, right?

As the next step, I would recommend this one https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...-solo-beginner/ smile.gif it's pretty popular here at GMC biggrin.gif what do you think?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Mar 28 2012, 05:52 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 28 2012, 07:30 AM) *
Hmm, to become a killer guitarist you have to be able to play like yourself in the best posible way biggrin.gif that is achieved by learning how to practice diligently regarding technique and not being afraid to sound like yourself.

Like in any new language, the first thing to do is to learn the words smile.gif so, intervals, chords, arpeggios and scales are our words in this situation, right?

As the next step, I would recommend this one https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...-solo-beginner/ smile.gif it's pretty popular here at GMC biggrin.gif what do you think?

Cosmin

I love that lesson smile.gif I am currently almost halfway through working on that one ! As far as Chords , Scales , Arpeggios , and Intervals go I am pretty comfortable with chords but need to work on my scales and I don't even know what an arpeggio is ? And Intervals have always kinda confused me .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 29 2012, 08:42 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (JesseJ @ Mar 28 2012, 04:52 PM) *
I love that lesson smile.gif I am currently almost halfway through working on that one ! As far as Chords , Scales , Arpeggios , and Intervals go I am pretty comfortable with chords but need to work on my scales and I don't even know what an arpeggio is ? And Intervals have always kinda confused me .

Hey man! We can start discussing about the relationship between chords, scales and arpeggios smile.gif

As chords have all notes played simultaneously, arpeggios are like chords having each note played separately smile.gif For instance, the C major chord has the C E G notes played simultaneously, and the C major arpeggio has the same notes, but played separately and possibly covering more octaves - you can shift positions in order to cover more octaves.

The arpeggios are built on the same scale steps as the chords they are based on, just like in the example above wink.gif

If you want, I can direct you towards more theory regarding arpeggios, so let me know mate!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Mar 29 2012, 08:34 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 29 2012, 07:42 AM) *
Hey man! We can start discussing about the relationship between chords, scales and arpeggios smile.gif

As chords have all notes played simultaneously, arpeggios are like chords having each note played separately smile.gif For instance, the C major chord has the C E G notes played simultaneously, and the C major arpeggio has the same notes, but played separately and possibly covering more octaves - you can shift positions in order to cover more octaves.

The arpeggios are built on the same scale steps as the chords they are based on, just like in the example above wink.gif

If you want, I can direct you towards more theory regarding arpeggios, so let me know mate!

Cosmin

Okay so I get what an arpeggio is , But when and where do I use them in my playing ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Mar 30 2012, 05:31 PM
QUOTE (JesseJ @ Mar 29 2012, 07:34 PM) *
Okay so I get what an arpeggio is , But when and where do I use them in my playing ?

I have another question for you . When I play I can hear the sound of my pick hitting the strings and it really bugs me because it sounds really bad . I'm not sure if you will know what i'm talking about but if you do do you know if there is any way to stop that sound ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 31 2012, 03:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JesseJ @ Mar 30 2012, 04:31 PM) *
I have another question for you . When I play I can hear the sound of my pick hitting the strings and it really bugs me because it sounds really bad . I'm not sure if you will know what i'm talking about but if you do do you know if there is any way to stop that sound ?

Hey mate, to answer both questions:

1) You can use arpeggios everywhere!

You can play them slow and create an arpegiated formula over a chord progression (see the theme played in the beginning)

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Breaking-Benjamin-Style/

You can play them faster and follow a chord progression

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Guthri...tyle-Arpeggios/

You can sweep them at high speeds

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Insane-Neo-Sweeping/

These are only three applications but the possibilities are endless smile.gif would you like to go in a certain direction and develop the discussion?

2) It's all about the angle of the pick smile.gif more angled = aggressive attack with a bit of string noise included wink.gif parallel with the string = clean tone biggrin.gif please try this and tell me what you think

Cosmin

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Apr 2 2012, 01:40 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 31 2012, 02:37 PM) *
Hey mate, to answer both questions:

1) You can use arpeggios everywhere!

You can play them slow and create an arpegiated formula over a chord progression (see the theme played in the beginning)

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Breaking-Benjamin-Style/

You can play them faster and follow a chord progression

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Guthri...tyle-Arpeggios/

You can sweep them at high speeds

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Insane-Neo-Sweeping/

These are only three applications but the possibilities are endless smile.gif would you like to go in a certain direction and develop the discussion?

2) It's all about the angle of the pick smile.gif more angled = aggressive attack with a bit of string noise included wink.gif parallel with the string = clean tone biggrin.gif please try this and tell me what you think

Cosmin

The example in the first lesson where they are played slow is my favorite. So I would like to learn that first smile.gif The second one I kinda liked and the last one I wasn't really a fan of . And thanks for the tip about the angles I will try that !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 2 2012, 08:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JesseJ @ Apr 2 2012, 12:40 AM) *
The example in the first lesson where they are played slow is my favorite. So I would like to learn that first smile.gif The second one I kinda liked and the last one I wasn't really a fan of . And thanks for the tip about the angles I will try that !

Alright tongue.gif the first one is my favorite as well as the second one (big Guthrie Govan fan here biggrin.gif)

We could start by learning how to harmonize a major scale, first using chords then the afferent arpeggios. For that, I highly recommend the following lesson cycle:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Triads..._Series_Part_1/

In these, you will learn triads - almost every arpeggio has something to do with triads wink.gif once you will learn this one we can move on to the next and so on, until you can fully grasp the concept of harmonization smile.gif

Out of what I know you are keen on learning how to express yourself with the guitar, so that means building up and following a thorough practice routine smile.gif tell me please, how much time can you dedicate to the guitar each day?

let me know what you think

Cosmin

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Apr 2 2012, 08:57 PM

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Apr 2 2012, 10:47 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 2 2012, 07:55 PM) *
Alright tongue.gif the first one is my favorite as well as the second one (big Guthrie Govan fan here biggrin.gif)

We could start by learning how to harmonize a major scale, first using chords then the afferent arpeggios. For that, I highly recommend the following lesson cycle:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Triads..._Series_Part_1/

In these, you will learn triads - almost every arpeggio has something to do with triads wink.gif once you will learn this one we can move on to the next and so on, until you can fully grasp the concept of harmonization smile.gif

Out of what I know you are keen on learning how to express yourself with the guitar, so that means building up and following a thorough practice routine smile.gif tell me please, how much time can you dedicate to the guitar each day?

let me know what you think

Cosmin

Okay first about the lesson : should I start working on the series about triads in the major scale or the lesson with arpeggios ?
And it depends on the day because I am a HighSchool student and have a job but I would say on average I can practice 45min-An hour smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 3 2012, 04:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JesseJ @ Apr 2 2012, 09:47 PM) *
Okay first about the lesson : should I start working on the series about triads in the major scale or the lesson with arpeggios ?
And it depends on the day because I am a HighSchool student and have a job but I would say on average I can practice 45min-An hour smile.gif

hey Jesse biggrin.gif first the lesson on major triads, as we shall derive the arpeggios from there wink.gif

Well, 45 min a day will be a bit tight but I think rhythm, theory, alternate picking and legato should be great to start with wink.gif

I think 15 minutes out of each, alternating AP with legato from one day to the other could be very good

how does that sound?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Apr 3 2012, 04:22 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 3 2012, 03:04 PM) *
hey Jesse biggrin.gif first the lesson on major triads, as we shall derive the arpeggios from there wink.gif

Well, 45 min a day will be a bit tight but I think rhythm, theory, alternate picking and legato should be great to start with wink.gif

I think 15 minutes out of each, alternating AP with legato from one day to the other could be very good

how does that sound?

Cosmin

Well Like I said It depends on the day like today I have school and then I work for 5 hours so I will just be able to fit in 45 min of practice time , but tomorrow I don't work so I can easily practice an hour . My point was at a minimum everyday I can do 45min but quite often I can practice more smile.gif Haha working so much gets annoying but thats where I get all the money for my music equipment !!

uhm I am guessing that the theory lesson is the one on major triads ? and what would you like me to do for legato , alternate picking , and rhythm ? ( on a side note I played quite alot of rhythm guitar in church and I drum so my rhythm, timing and meter are pretty solid ). I only know a little about legato and I find alternate picking hard . So would you like me to do lessons for the those or maybe just practice sliding between pentatonic boxes with alternate picking ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 4 2012, 10:20 PM
Instructor
Hey Jesse! Oh, so you do have experience with rhythm playing! That's very good man smile.gif We can start like this:

- Theory - the lesson on the major triads
- Alternate picking: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Hand-Basics/
- Legato: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Land-Of-Legato/
- Rhythm: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...c-metal-rhythm/

how do all these look/ sound to ya?

Cosmin

PS: take a look at them and let me know what you think smile.gif we can also work on separate exercises as well wink.gif

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:48 PM