Guitar Sound Issue, Changed string gauge
ElHombre
Dec 1 2012, 02:48 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi guys.

I changed to 0.11-0.52 strings cause I have my guitar in drop C for a few songs I am learning.
Well I just put them on, removed all previous and just put them on and cleaned the guitar.

Well they were good for drop C but I get harmonic sounds all the time.
Im a guy who like to fix things myself, but apperently I cant change strings without something going wrong, unbelivable.

I have attached a sound file.
Atleast one problem fixed itself, I let go of all strings and get a terrible harmonic sound on the D string, but not anymore.
But still, If i palmmute the low C string I get that sound.

In the soundfile I palm mute and play the C string, without muting all the other strings with my left hand.
I also play It and mute all strings, and it sounds normal.

Any suggestions?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  soundproblem.mp3 ( 468.16K ) Number of downloads: 116

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Dec 1 2012, 03:36 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Dec 1 2012, 08:48 AM) *
Hi guys.

I changed to 0.11-0.52 strings cause I have my guitar in drop C for a few songs I am learning.
Well I just put them on, removed all previous and just put them on and cleaned the guitar.

Im a guy who like to fix things myself, but apperently I cant change strings without something going wrong, unbelivable.

Atleast one problem fixed itself, I let go of all strings and get a terrible harmonic sound on the D string, but not anymore.

In the soundfile I palm mute and play the C string, without muting all the other strings with my left hand.

Any suggestions?

Have you tried lowering the pickup height just a hair bit? Just thinking the distance from a pickup plus a larger string may push it closer to it. My Ibanez did weird things with the pickups when I tuned it to B standard, I lowered it and it helped me.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Dec 1 2012, 06:07 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Adjust...ars_Intonation/

this lesson is not bad !

and as space monkey said the pickup question !?

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Dec 1 2012, 08:03 PM
Learning Rock Star
I will try it spasemoonkey, already sounded like the solution thanks smile.gif

Also what Marcus said in that video, change strings 1 by 1, I didnt do.
Cause I cleaned the fretboard.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ConnorGilks
Dec 1 2012, 08:29 PM
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Dec 1 2012, 07:03 PM) *
I will try it spasemoonkey, already sounded like the solution thanks smile.gif

Also what Marcus said in that video, change strings 1 by 1, I didnt do.
Cause I cleaned the fretboard.

Yeah first thing I would look at is the pickup heights. The other things is make sure you're palm muting properly, as only lightly palm muting can cause harmonics to pop out. Weird right?

Did you give your guitar a full setup as well after putting the strings on? Whenever you change string gauges it's very important to adjust the neck relief and individual saddle heights (if your bridge allows it) so the strings are at the optimal height. Sometimes the strings can be rest too close to a fret and every time you play the open string it hits that fret slightly, engaging the harmonic. Now this would be more of an issue with frets being different heights than string gauges, but it's possible.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Dec 1 2012, 09:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Dec 1 2012, 01:48 PM) *
Hi guys.

Any suggestions?

Everytime you change string gage testimony is changing and your neck starting to move
You have a metal stick called anchor going through the neck to give it more force and it's set up for specific string gage
That's why you are getting this problem it drop C it works because low string is having less tension on drop tunnings
I would highly suggest giving it to a pro to adjust the anchor
Don't do it yourself because of you will tight too hard it might break and you will have to replace the whole neck!
I hope that helps!

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Dec 2 2012, 12:02 PM
Learning Rock Star
What should I do? Change back to standard strings or is it too late now?
Will these strings not work either since the neck has changed?

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Dec 2 2012, 10:12 PM
Learning Rock Star
would changing back to 0.10 solve it u think guys?

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Dec 2 2012, 11:29 PM
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Dec 2 2012, 04:12 PM) *
would changing back to 0.10 solve it u think guys?

Heres some more questions. Is it a trem system of any kind?

If yes you would just need to adjust the bridge, which is easy just have to be careful just do little turns like half a turn for the screw and check it. Because like Alex says if you would loosen it to far you will break I believe what Alex is calling the anchor or the knife edge. Then you will need a new trem but that's if you don't pay attention to it. But if you don't feel comfortable by all means get a pro. Where it's at now is probably too much tension on the springs so it's pulling the bridge lower into the body. Here is a great example to what it should look like.

If you don't have a trem then it's just going be due to slack in the strings.

My Ibanez is in something around B/Bb Standard with 12s I tried to do Drop A and it gets super muddy and palm mute become messy and nasty sounding. I also have it setup right it just doesn't have the tension I need for it. I should have 13s on it for that low of a tuning for my liking.

Also if you are worried and toss 10s back on it, you won't hurt anything by doing so.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Blister
Dec 3 2012, 02:17 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks for finding & sharing this ElH! I didn't know we had this as a GMC lesson. This is a very important thing for every guitarist to know!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Dec 3 2012, 02:08 PM
Learning Rock Star
0.10s on and no difference! pickups are at the bottom...
lucky me! I always get these wonderful issues.

I rembered my Ibanez which recived a full setup, for free, even the frets were shaped and it didnt solve it lol, it solved itself after a few months or somth.

I know exactly who its going to be, have to take it to the tech, he cant find the problem, will complain on the winter weather -.-, which just started, this just sucks

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 4 2012, 04:21 AM
Probably the best plan. Take it in and see what he says.

QUOTE (ElHombre @ Dec 3 2012, 08:08 AM) *

I rembered my Ibanez which recived a full setup, for free, even the frets were shaped and it didnt solve it lol, it solved itself after a few months or somth.

I know exactly who its going to be, have to take it to the tech, he cant find the problem, will complain on the winter weather -.-, which just started, this just sucks

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Dec 4 2012, 07:01 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Dec 3 2012, 01:08 PM) *

Good idea! Let me know how it goes! I would do the same thing it is always better to take it to a pro!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:26 PM