7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Nuc Pc, Anyone got any thoughts?
Todd Simpson
Aug 16 2019, 01:40 AM
GMC:er
I"ve never heard of either of these vendors so I really can't help much on that front. The machine you specd looks good! Both builds are from folks who focus on creating gear for audio production which is good too. I could not find what the carrilion is using for it's video card? Can you see that info? maybe I missed it. Of the two of them the SCAN folks seem to have a bit better build in that they clearly state which video card is used and they explain the rational behind their builds. If you have heard of scan and they have a good rep in your area it seems like a good way to go. smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 15 2019, 03:39 PM) *
That looks great Todd, thanks.

I've been looking at this today, what do you think Todd and Mertay?

https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/configurator/3xs...top-no-firewire

I'd spec a 500gb SSD and 16gb RAM. Scan have been around for a long time and have a good reputation. HERE is the info about their studio computer design.

How do you think it compares to the one I mentioned HERE?

Cheers

Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 16 2019, 10:37 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Cheers,

And so you think it will run Helix Native?

I'm going to spec up to 32gb ram and 500gb ssd, do you think it's worth going for Win10 Pro instead of home

Phil

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 16 2019, 12:40 AM) *
I"ve never heard of either of these vendors so I really can't help much on that front. The machine you specd looks good! Both builds are from folks who focus on creating gear for audio production which is good too. I could not find what the carrilion is using for it's video card? Can you see that info? maybe I missed it. Of the two of them the SCAN folks seem to have a bit better build in that they clearly state which video card is used and they explain the rational behind their builds. If you have heard of scan and they have a good rep in your area it seems like a good way to go. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 16 2019, 10:09 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 16 2019, 10:11 PM
Nudging this up, need help wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 16 2019, 10:44 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 16 2019, 09:37 AM) *
Cheers,

And so you think it will run Helix Native?

I'm going to spec up to 32gb ram and 500gb ssd, do you think it's worth going for Win10 Pro instead of home

Phil

Could you remind what was your previous problem with helix native?

For hardware logically it should work fine with a new computer, I'm not sure if you need 32gb of ram instead of 16gb (won't help audio but maybe for video can be used to speed-up, just guessing though) but if budget allows why not. As for win pro or home, I'd ask the line6 forum for advice.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Aug 16 2019, 10:45 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 16 2019, 10:50 PM
When I tried Native it just crackled and popped, terrible it was.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 16 2019, 11:47 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 16 2019, 09:50 PM) *

I see, to be honest it could be anything so really hard to guess sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 17 2019, 12:33 AM
Should run it just fine. I ran helix native on my quad core i7 wiht 16gb of ram. So yeah, the machine your talking about should have no problem at all. I was able to run it in my daw and record a bit with every single patch without it glitching.

As for win pro it depends on if you need the features. If you read the feature list and none of them make sense, then you probably don't need them.
https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionma...0-home-pro.html

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 16 2019, 05:50 PM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 17 2019, 12:41 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 17 2019, 08:19 AM
Thanks guys,

Native isn't the only thing, when I use my Web cam for quick videos it's drops the frame rate because of "lack of resources", I also get latency when using any plug in and I can't handle latency, it does my head in blink.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 17 2019, 10:14 AM
This should sort all of that out. smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 17 2019, 03:19 AM) *
Thanks guys,

Native isn't the only thing, when I use my Web cam for quick videos it's drops the frame rate because of "lack of resources", I also get latency when using any plug in and I can't handle latency, it does my head in blink.gif

Cheers

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 17 2019, 12:01 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 17 2019, 07:19 AM) *

Yeah just keep the new computer as clean as possible by strictly using it for audio-video. Don't even install a web-browser if possible.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 17 2019, 05:14 PM
Just had a chat with them, 4:30 on a Saturday and they're available. He went and looked at Native, and reckons the 16gb will handle using Native with live video recording no problem. Very helpful, gave me a lot of confidence, didn't push any extras or upgrades, explained that it's fine to add hard drives yourself, explained how to do it and said it wouldn't invalidate the warranty.

For what it costs extra I think I'll go for Win10 Pro, 500gb os drive, just deciding whether to go straight into 32gb ram because if I need it later I'll end up selling the 16 for next to nothing.

I'll have to install a Web browser for access to GMC during my practise time because my desktop causes so much interference it's unreal.

Cheers

UPDATE: I can buy it without an OS which will reduce it by £130 for Pro. I can get a license from HERE for £20. Is it worth making an install usb and doing it that way? I've never installed from USB, can you see any problems?

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 17 2019, 06:46 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Aug 17 2019, 07:51 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 17 2019, 05:14 PM) *
Just had a chat with them, 4:30 on a Saturday and they're available. He went and looked at Native, and reckons the 16gb will handle using Native with live video recording no problem. Very helpful, gave me a lot of confidence, didn't push any extras or upgrades, explained that it's fine to add hard drives yourself, explained how to do it and said it wouldn't invalidate the warranty.

For what it costs extra I think I'll go for Win10 Pro, 500gb os drive, just deciding whether to go straight into 32gb ram because if I need it later I'll end up selling the 16 for next to nothing.

I'll have to install a Web browser for access to GMC during my practise time because my desktop causes so much interference it's unreal.

Cheers

UPDATE: I can buy it without an OS which will reduce it by £130 for Pro. I can get a license from HERE for £20. Is it worth making an install usb and doing it that way? I've never installed from USB, can you see any problems?

I think it is usb connectivity , I would look into getting one with a thunderbolt . It might not be the problem , but Like I said " i paid that much money and don't have that option

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 17 2019, 07:56 PM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Aug 17 2019, 06:51 PM) *
I think it is usb connectivity , I would look into getting one with a thunderbolt . It might not be the problem , but Like I said " i paid that much money and don't have that option

Thanks buddy but isn't Thunderbolt for Apple connections? I don't have anything Apple.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 17 2019, 10:29 PM
USB 3 is fine for PCs smile.gif THunderbolt can be had on both, but most pcs and pc peripherals are set for usb 3 to be honest. As for your OS, buying an OEM copy of the os without buying a new machine from the same people is sketchy. They are not supposed to sell oem OS without selling a machine with it. Without an OS, how can the builder test your machine? If you have issues, who is to blam? The OS vendor or the builder? To be honest, sounds like a headache waiting to happen. I'd avoid it but it's your rig you gotta to what you think is best.
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 17 2019, 02:56 PM) *
Thanks buddy but isn't Thunderbolt for Apple connections? I don't have anything Apple.

Cheers

Phil

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 17 2019, 11:05 PM
Tomorrow I'm going to ask them about it, their support is open 10:00 to 16:00 on Sundays. From what I've read, they do a full test with the os and then just wipe the hard drive for sale,

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 18 2019, 02:01 AM
Sounds like a plan wink.gif Only issue is who to blame when some error pops up. Both vendors will point to the other guy and say it's their fault. I've had it happen. But if it's worth the saving to live with the risk then go for it smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 17 2019, 06:05 PM) *
Tomorrow I'm going to ask them about it, their support is open 10:00 to 16:00 on Sundays. From what I've read, they do a full test with the os and then just wipe the hard drive for sale,

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 18 2019, 09:48 AM
I'll let you know later, I've used SoftwareGeeks before for a Win7 license with no issues. I have a Win10 install USB that I made with the Microsoft Windows Media Creator Tool.

I want it to be legal though.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 18 2019, 12:37 PM
I spoke to them, I said I was thinking of getting the softwaregeeks.co.uk license and said "what do you think", his answer was, "I would recommend getting Windows 10 from ourselves with the system pre-installed or purchased directly from Microsoft". So there were no accusations that the licences are dodgy but his answer said it all without totally losing the sale to them which also indicates that they aren't comfortable with SG.

I then asked, it off interest, if they still test when supplying without OS, he said "Yes we still do all the same testing and benchmarks, we simply just don't install Windows. We do this by installing test version of Windows on the drive and wiping before shipping".

I also said that a lot of the time I record live from webcam to HD while recording audio from a different source and would the Samsung Evo ssd be better than the Intel as it is quicker, I have an Evo at the moment, he said "If you're recording direct to SSD, a faster drive would likely make a difference. The samsung evo drives are very high-end and top quality in my opinion, having owned one myself in my personal system and they are likely the most popular drive we install in 3XS systems too".

Great support, 9am - 10pm Mon to Fri, 10am-6pm Saturday and 10am-4pm Sunday.
Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 18 2019, 09:00 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 18 2019, 08:56 PM
Well, it's ordered. My current laptop came with a 256ssd but I put a 500gb Evo in so I'll swap that back and use the 500gb EVO in my new one as storage. Hopefully their aftersales is as good as their pre-sales, not always the case but we'll see. They do seem on the ball though. Glad I went with them, check out their audio section https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/music-and-pro-audio

3XS Scan Performance 17" - Studio Laptop (No Thunderbolt) - Pre Order
LN64660*3XS LOGO* 16GB Kingston USB3 Pendrive for Windows Recovery Media
LN91305 2 x*3XS Only* 16GB Module DDR4 SODIMM 2666Mhz C18 VENGEANCE
LN563803XS 17" AUDIO LAPTOP - NO FW
LN853373XS Microsoft H17-10001 GML Win Logo
LN619093XS System Build
LN715403XS Systems 7 Day Technical Support
LN860903XS Welcome Pack
LN86912Included with your new 3XS system
LN95872Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB M.2 PCIe High Performance NVMe SSD/Solid State Drive
LN97452NH70RAQ 17.3" (FHD/ WVA / N7/ 144HZ) I7-9750H GTX 1650 4GB RGB KEYBOARD INTEL 9260AC+BT COMBO wi-fi
LN46869Scan 3XS Laptop - Build, Config & Test
LN46859Scan 3XS laptop warranty, 1st year C&R all parts, 2nd year RTB excl screen, battery and HDD
LN55098System
LN66206Windows 10 Professional DPK FQC-08797
£1313.92

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 18 2019, 09:00 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 18 2019, 10:16 PM
Cool smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:04 PM