How To Trick Out Your Guitar?
TreyDeschamp
Mar 13 2009, 07:36 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I need to know how I would know what parts to put on the PRS that I'm getting. I'm thinking about EMG 81 85 but other than that I have no clue. I'm going to try to make this guitar look different. I mean its a PRS tongue.gif but anyway any help?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Mar 13 2009, 07:44 PM
Learning Tone Master
It would help to know which model youre getting and what you want to achieve with the moddings^^

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Mar 13 2009, 07:49 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Mar 13 2009, 12:44 PM) *
It would help to know which model youre getting and what you want to achieve with the moddings^^

I'm getting the Paul Allender model.

My goal with guitar is to be able to play the song Scarified by Racer X
So I want to be able to get a sound like Paul Gilbert.
Basically metal guitar

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
berko
Mar 13 2009, 07:52 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ Mar 13 2009, 07:49 PM) *
I'm getting the Paul Allender model.

My goal with guitar is to be able to play the song Scarified by Racer X
So I want to be able to get a sound like Paul Gilbert.
Basically metal guitar

IMO it's pretty much a great metal guitar already. It's even suitable for low, dirty riffs in D without the pickups getting muddy. Ofc a set of EMGs is always different, but if you want to play racer x with it, with sufficient gain and good settings on an overdrive pedal you'd reach what you're looking for

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Mar 13 2009, 07:55 PM
QUOTE (berko @ Mar 13 2009, 12:52 PM) *
IMO it's pretty much a great metal guitar already. It's even suitable for low, dirty riffs in D without the pickups getting muddy. Ofc a set of EMGs is always different, but if you want to play racer x with it, with sufficient gain and good settings on an overdrive pedal you'd reach what you're looking for

Ok thanks then I dont know what I'm going to do yet. I really want to mak this guitar special

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Mar 13 2009, 08:02 PM
Learning Tone Master
Ah the cradle of filth signature guitar! (Weird though if you ask me, I would have bought an RG for Gilbert...)

The PRS makes a good metal guitar though! EMG will make it even better for metal but not ideal for Gilbert as the master uses a lot of dynamics that can only be achieved by passive pickups... My suggestions:

-Get a set of passive metal/shred pickups that will do riffing and soloing; Examples: DiMarzio Paf Pro neck pickups for Paul gilbert's shredding tone and a Steve Vai evolution bridge pickup which is a great lead pickup aswell as a cool Metal pickup
-block the tremolo (dunno about how well it keeps the tuning, this way you're on the safe side)
-alternative: replace tuners with sperzel locking tuners and get a high quality trem(not in gold though^^) and you can divebomb the hell out of this guitar

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Mar 14 2009, 12:16 AM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Mar 13 2009, 02:02 PM) *
Ah the cradle of filth signature guitar! (Weird though if you ask me, I would have bought an RG for Gilbert...)

The PRS makes a good metal guitar though! EMG will make it even better for metal but not ideal for Gilbert as the master uses a lot of dynamics that can only be achieved by passive pickups... My suggestions:

-Get a set of passive metal/shred pickups that will do riffing and soloing; Examples: DiMarzio Paf Pro neck pickups for Paul gilbert's shredding tone and a Steve Vai evolution bridge pickup which is a great lead pickup aswell as a cool Metal pickup
-block the tremolo (dunno about how well it keeps the tuning, this way you're on the safe side)
-alternative: replace tuners with sperzel locking tuners and get a high quality trem(not in gold though^^) and you can divebomb the hell out of this guitar

Thanks I will look into the pickups

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Mar 14 2009, 05:16 PM
GMC:er
heres what i would get:

hold off on the pick ups until you have heard how the stock ones sound (just so you are sure you rather put EMGs or other pups in them

for that kind of trem to stay in tune, you need to get a "roller" nut that will allow the strings to move smoothly from the neck to the headstock, eliminating interference which could cause the trem not to come back at perfect pitch (its a mod us ibby guys do to the SA series)

other than that, that guitar is pretty unique bro...the purple, the inlays, the gold hardware...if i was going to trick out my ibby, it would somewhat look like that (with out the inlays though)

oh! and before i spend money on mods, id spend the money on a tech to set it up and make sure all the frets are good and even....playability comes first!

This post has been edited by Marc_Maiden: Mar 14 2009, 05:17 PM

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Mar 14 2009, 05:19 PM
QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Mar 14 2009, 11:16 AM) *
heres what i would get:

hold off on the pick ups until you have heard how the stock ones sound (just so you are sure you rather put EMGs or other pups in them

for that kind of trem to stay in tune, you need to get a "roller" nut that will allow the strings to move smoothly from the neck to the headstock, eliminating interference which could cause the trem not to come back at perfect pitch (its a mod us ibby guys do to the SA series)

other than that, that guitar is pretty unique bro...the purple, the inlays, the gold hardware...if i was going to trick out my ibby, it would somewhat look like that (with out the inlays though)

oh! and before i spend money on mods, id spend the money on a tech to set it up and make sure all the frets are good and even....playability comes first!

very good point man thanks yeah I think I will do that

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:12 PM