> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

17 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Socky42's Music Room, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 11 2016, 03:03 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, this is a bit better but I still think that there is too much info in this track so it requires more mix work to sound good. The arrangement remind me a bit to skrillex so maybe you can check his more "rocker" songs to see how he makes everything fit in his mixes.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Socky42
Mar 12 2016, 12:11 AM
GMC:er
Ahh I had heavy compression on the glitchy vocal bus and wasn't full panning, so everything was leaking into the other side. laugh.gif A lot more space in the mix now.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 12 2016, 09:26 PM
Instructor
Great to know that you've found what was happening! Looking forward your new mix.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
Mar 14 2016, 10:30 AM
https://soundcloud.com/socky42/starshipstest/s-BLF8E

Thought this would be a pretty simple track to record and mix but it's been tough making everything fit. I'm just gonna record the video, then re-mix/re-record anything that needs it later with fresh ears.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 14 2016, 02:19 PM
Instructor
Hi mate,

wou! That's a really complex track. I think that your decision is wise, you need to give some air to your ears and work on the mix on different days. While you do it, you can work on video, edition and other stuff.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
Mar 14 2016, 05:51 PM
Do you have any general things in the mix I can work on? I know the lead tone is a bit too harsh, but if I blend it more with the octaver, it should be fine.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 15 2016, 02:46 PM
Instructor
Yes! Here are some things that I hear:

- The clean guitar played twice is one of the things that it making everything sound weird. It sounds too open (pan 100%) and as for any reason each channel sound different (not sure if strumming is not precise or what, but it sounds weird). I would try editing it or playing it again to make both guitars sound totally tight, and try with less open pan, (around 68) and maybe with a bit less reverb.

- I feel something similar with distorted rhythm guitars which also could have less drive/distortion to sound clearer.

- I can't hear the bass guitar, there is a whole in your mix around 100 hz, where bass should be.

- Your guitars EQ is high in general, I hear frecuencies that are not nice to hear, maybe around 2.5 khz, but you have to seach them.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
Mar 23 2016, 08:59 PM
My classes start again next week, so I won't have as much time to make videos. But I've been trying to pump out more videos in the time that I do have.

Still have the Babymetal medley to finish later next month, when my collab partners aren't so busy. Then I'll be a bit stuck on video ideas! Maybe more pop to rock stuff, maybe more video game stuff, I don't really know. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 24 2016, 03:03 PM
Instructor
You did it again! This new video sounds great! Your arrangement is top level, and your playing is so inspiring and fresh as always. The faster parts are killer, you can shred but keep sounding cool, well done!

Congrats friend!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
Mar 29 2016, 02:39 PM
Okay, going to try and work on this rhythm guitar EQ problem. Here's a part of my last video with lead and then just rhythm. Is it a case of me having lead tones taking up too much of the same frequency space? When it's just the rhythm, I think it sounds fine but if the lead is there it starts becoming hard to hear everything clearly.

https://soundcloud.com/socky42/rhythm

I'll try tweaking my rhythm tone some more, see if I can get a more low-mid range emphasis without losing articulation in chords. I've tried in the past, but always end up with a tone where I can't play chords without it being a muddy mess in the mix.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 29 2016, 03:29 PM
Instructor
I usually do a hole in the high mids section of my rhythm guitar to make some "place" for lead guitar or vocals. EQ is usually based on filtering frequencies to give place to each instrument. I also think that maybe you rhythm guitar has too much distortion, try lowering a bit the quantity of drive / gain ans see what happens...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
Apr 18 2016, 02:07 PM
https://soundcloud.com/socky42/smash-mouth-...c-remix/s-HtZlw

Sorry for the lack of updates, unfortunately I've been very sick these past couple of weeks. laugh.gif I really need to get a regular schedule going.
Here's the track for my next video, it's All Star by Smash Mouth. I just need to film it, re-record some bits I'm not happy with and mix it. Any general comments on the mix/arrangement? The lead guitar doesn't sit well enough in the mix and I still need to tweak my guitar tones.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 18 2016, 03:17 PM
Instructor
Hi Socky, great to hear a new track coming from you!

The arrangement is amazing. As always your phrasing is fresh and that clean moment in the part C is so beautiful. I'd like to hear more clean stuff from you!

The mix is not bad but I feel that your guitars could sound "bigger". I notice that there is too much mid range (frequency) stuff in your EQ. Your style reminds me a bit to polyphia so it would be a good idea to use a song from their last album as a reference for mix and overall EQ.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
Apr 18 2016, 07:06 PM
For the clean part I'm using Valhalla Shimmer, it's such a good reverb plugin, gives it that huge ambient feel. https://valhalladsp.com/shop/reverb/valhalla-shimmer/

Hmm I think I know where the mid-heavy mix comes from, I used a mid/side EQ plugin over the whole mix to try and get some more stereo separation. I'll just take it off and not be so lazy with EQ haha.

Not too sure how to make the guitars sound bigger but I'll keep experimenting with cleaning up other instruments, maybe the drums take up too much frequency space. Biggest problem I have right now is I can make my mixes sound great on my own headphones but nothing else!

Only started to test mixes on laptop speakers and my iPhone earbuds recently and noticed the bass in my last couple of videos overpowers the whole mix on earbuds, how does the low-end sound to you?

This post has been edited by Socky42: Apr 18 2016, 07:13 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 19 2016, 02:24 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, I don't remember now the low end and I'm not at the studio. I'll check it later.

About mixing drums, here you can find an expense but totally recommend tutorial on mixing drums step by step. I recommend you to dedicate time to this which will improve a lot your mixes.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
Apr 24 2016, 08:43 AM
Okay, sorted out the mix for the other video and got the audio for another track recorded.

https://soundcloud.com/socky42/the-rains-of...c-remix/s-2xXUP

How's the arrangement? I'm still working on the mix.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 25 2016, 05:36 AM
Instructor
Hi Socky, the arrangement is great as always! Nothing weird happening except by some timing issues in faster licks. This new track is very promising. I also think that your guitar tone for rhythms is much better than previous mixes.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
Apr 29 2016, 05:03 PM

Alright, finally finished this video. Now I just need to get some more video ideas.. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 30 2016, 11:23 PM
Instructor
That's so cool mate and I can see that you are already receiving excellent feedback at youtube! Congrats on a new great guitar remix!

About new ideas for future videos, I wonder, what are you listening nowadays?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
May 13 2016, 07:20 AM
Been getting lazy again. laugh.gif

Don't think I've been listening to a lot of music lately - I really should though, just to get some inspiration and not sound too samey every video.

I've been working on a guitar remix of Barbie Girl by Aqua which is going okay. After that, I think I'll do this song; pretty popular game soundtrack on the internet and it's got some groovy/rhythmic songs.

--------------------

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:23 AM