Eve Audio (getting Some Higher End Monitors)
Todd Simpson
Jul 10 2019, 10:51 PM
GMC:er
I've been researching higher end monitors and had ended up at the starter pair of ADAM AUDIO monitors and then ran across EVE AUDIO. Evidently, one of the founders of ADAM, left ADAM to go and start his own thing which is now EVE AUDIO. You may notice that the tweeters on the EVE look a lot like the ADAM. It's not an accident. It's the same guy who designed all the ADAM speakers. These are high end bits of kit and they are not cheap. The starter pair of EVE AUDIO are about $500 a pair, while my KALI AUDIO have a 6 inch woofer and only cost $300 a pair, the EVE have 3 inch woofer and cost about double. They do have that high end tweeter and a passive radiator at the back instead of being ported. I also thought about al the usual suspects as well in the price range. From my research, these little things sound brilliant and make a good pair of reference monitors for a "second pair" instead of buying a set of "Horror Tones" (Those tiny cube speakers which cost about the same price)

These are the set I'm thinking of getting.
https://youtu.be/3TbEkvdLl8AAttached ImageAttached Image[attachm
ent=48863:eve.jpeg]
Anyone else heard of these? Or have other info/experiences with higher end monitors?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 11 2019, 12:20 AM
Here are some tip's from an old time adam (p11a) user;

-Yes the tweeters are very detailed, stuff you check with headphones can be heard easier compared to other tweeter types (like reverb). Downside I noticed is 1-they have a "color" to them, maybe can say glassy but all tweeters do so getting used to may be needed 2-the sweetspot is narrow, specially when playing guitar you'll notice you have to be careful on your listening position unless you have good distance to them or set their angle a bit wider than usual.

-If you've always used port designs, non port'ed will feel different. Port design sounds closer to the amp feel when playing plug-in amps, non-ported will feel more as if things are happening in the monitor rather than the room. As engineer I prefer non-ported but for playing guitar port design is a bit more fun.

-3" to me is better for TV van's or small radio edit rooms where they do basic editing (add commercial, glue tracks etc.). Its not about the bass really, a woofer that size has its limits to transfer in detail what the tweeter isn't taking on.

From all the studio's+people I know, unless they have a main (something really loud and big)+ nearfiled a second monitor (like having 2 nearfiled monitors) caused more confusion than trust. If you had a 8" Kali, something like this may have made more sense as second monitor but likely you'll only get a different "color" and the contrasts has a risk of making things more complicated.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jul 11 2019, 12:26 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 11 2019, 02:08 AM
I've added a 15 inch klipsch sub to my listening setup. So I've got a full range setup when I engage the sub. The small eve have a sub out. So even they can share the sub. I am looking forward to the tweeter. That's a big part of it. I want this style tweeter to balance against the soft dome tweeter that I've always uses and still have in the kali.
I appreciate the tips on soundfield. I have heard that. These are very directional.

So for me, my "Mains" are the Kali with Sub. The first near field are the kali without sub and the secondary near field will be the EVE.
Todd
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 10 2019, 07:20 PM) *
Here are some tip's from an old time adam (p11a) user;

-Yes the tweeters are very detailed, stuff you check with headphones can be heard easier compared to other tweeter types (like reverb). Downside I noticed is 1-they have a "color" to them, maybe can say glassy but all tweeters do so getting used to may be needed 2-the sweetspot is narrow, specially when playing guitar you'll notice you have to be careful on your listening position unless you have good distance to them or set their angle a bit wider than usual.

-If you've always used port designs, non port'ed will feel different. Port design sounds closer to the amp feel when playing plug-in amps, non-ported will feel more as if things are happening in the monitor rather than the room. As engineer I prefer non-ported but for playing guitar port design is a bit more fun.

-3" to me is better for TV van's or small radio edit rooms where they do basic editing (add commercial, glue tracks etc.). Its not about the bass really, a woofer that size has its limits to transfer in detail what the tweeter isn't taking on.

From all the studio's+people I know, unless they have a main (something really loud and big)+ nearfiled a second monitor (like having 2 nearfiled monitors) caused more confusion than trust. If you had a 8" Kali, something like this may have made more sense as second monitor but likely you'll only get a different "color" and the contrasts has a risk of making things more complicated.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 11 2019, 12:00 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 11 2019, 01:08 AM) *
So for me, my "Mains" are the Kali with Sub. The first near field are the kali without sub and the secondary near field will be the EVE.
Todd

Cool, you can also use wallmounts for the Kali (high but angle set to your ears). This approach often gives a better mains feel and fills the room nicely with a sub. When critical listening is needed, using the EVE (placed like typical nearfields) will make the most difference.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 12 2019, 02:52 AM
i have thought about mounting the Kali.. I've seen several cool setups done that way. For now they are on stands and I think I finally got the height right! I do push the stands back when I engage the sub to get a different audio picture. Like you say, probly keep the eve very close.
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 11 2019, 07:00 AM) *
Cool, you can also use wallmounts for the Kali (high but angle set to your ears). This approach often gives a better mains feel and fills the room nicely with a sub. When critical listening is needed, using the EVE (placed like typical nearfields) will make the most difference.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:40 AM