2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Strings With High Durability.
Robin
Jul 3 2007, 05:39 PM
GMC:er
My high E string break constantly. I use 0.10 Elixir strings.
Just wondering if anyone knows about strings that got really good durability? This is not necessarely the problem of course, it might be my playing or the guitar, but I've changed the bridge and it still break. I might aswell just try new strings, been using Elixir since I started playing.

So, any special brand that "never" breaks?

Thanks.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Jul 3 2007, 05:50 PM
My guess is your Nut is pinching the string and causing excessive wear. Where does it usually break?

Also, you might try Blue Steel brand strings but my guess is it ain't the strings... Elixirs are very good.

Hardtail

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jul 3 2007, 05:57 PM
Go out and buy yourself some Boomers. They have them at whatever gauge you like but Ill give you a link if your interested.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/navigation?q=boomers

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Robin
Jul 3 2007, 05:58 PM
ALWAYS on the bridge. It have never broken anywhere else. And all the time its the high E string. THe others rarely break.

It might be the way I play.

Thanks both of you! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Robin: Jul 3 2007, 06:04 PM

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jul 3 2007, 06:09 PM
Yeah but seriously I highly recomend those strings. You can also buy them in packs of just one string. For example , one pack of ALL high e-strings.

-John

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Jul 3 2007, 06:19 PM
How often do you change your strings and how often do you practice?

Hardtail

--------------------

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
brandon
Jul 3 2007, 07:07 PM
QUOTE (Hardtail @ Jul 3 2007, 01:19 PM) *

Hardtail

I would have to agree with hardtail...it sounds like your bridge has gotten jagged and is cutting the strings. Also, if I were you I would try another type of string. I tried Elixir's when they first came out and I didn't like them and they didn't last as long as my usual strings. They're too expensive for the quality. I love Dean Markley Blue Steel's and D'Addario....also, like someone had mentioned before a good strings for the price are Boomers. Blue Steel's are the most durable strings I've ever played, plus they already sound warm right out of the package and keep their tone for a really long time. Some music shops will over charge for them, but you can usually find a pack for about $5 or $6 and they're pretty cheap off of musicians friend as well.

+Quote Post
Robin
Jul 3 2007, 07:16 PM
Ok thanks alot everyone! I will try some other strings to see if it gets better.

QUOTE (Hardtail @ Jul 3 2007, 05:19 PM) *

Hardtail

I'm not really sure. When the high E breaks(as I said, all the time), I change that string. If for instance the D break, I change that, unless I have had the strings for some weeks, then I just change all strings.

I practice every day. Latelly I've been practicing all day long, but I've had this problem ever since I bought the guitar, about 4 years ago. It have gotten alot worse since I joined GMC(~6months ago), becuase before that I sucked and didnt use that string much.

Just a couple of days ago I changed the strings and today I broke the high E again when playing with my band. But this time I played really hard, so I was kinda expecting it to break.

+Quote Post
Pantalaimon
Jul 3 2007, 07:21 PM
I use Ernie Ball Super Slinkys - I haven't broken a string in 8 months. (changed the strings a few times though just due to rust and such from play).

They sound great and are usually very durable. Might wanna give Super Slinkys a try.

--------------------
My Gear:
~Schecter C-1+ (black cherry) w/ Duncan Designed PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Fender Mexican Stratocaster (black) w/ stock PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Jasmine by Takamine acoustic (kinda crappy - $90)
~Fender Frontman 25R amp.
~Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive pedal
~Dan-Ecko pedal

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 3 2007, 07:28 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Hey Robin - IMO its not the strings - I haven't had any brand of string break in years - I have been using EBs and Elixirs and they are all fine.

It could be your style of playing, or a problem with your bridge, but I don't think a change of strings will really help.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Robin
Jul 3 2007, 07:41 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 3 2007, 06:28 PM) *
Hey Robin - IMO its not the strings - I haven't had any brand of string break in years - I have been using EBs and Elixirs and they are all fine.

It could be your style of playing, or a problem with your bridge, but I don't think a change of strings will really help.

Indeed. I'm pretty sure its the bridge actually. But then again, I've changed the bridge.
The Gibson bridges have very sharp edges(where the strings goes trough). I've heard that it gives good tone.
But I dont see how a plain simple whole step bend could break it so easily, and so often. I also break just by strumming chords, but now we're talking hard and fast(black metal). Sometimes I try to take it easy on the strumming, but still they break.
Anyway, thats what I've always thought about, that it is the bridge. We have tried to, oh man whats the english word for that. "Scratch" with this tool inside the thing on the bridge where the string goes trough. "Scratched" it a little wider and tried to "soften" the edges a little.

Sorry for my crappy English, I hope it made sense.

+Quote Post
brandon
Jul 3 2007, 07:50 PM
there are certain saddles you can get for your bridge that are made differently or out of a different material that are supposed to help with that. I'm not too familiar with all of that, but I'm pretty sure you could change out the saddles instead of the whole bridge. Maybe someone else on here knows a little more about that or you could talk to some guys at a music shop.

+Quote Post
Robin
Jul 3 2007, 07:52 PM
QUOTE (brandon @ Jul 3 2007, 06:50 PM) *
there are certain saddles you can get for your bridge that are made differently or out of a different material that are supposed to help with that. I'm not too familiar with all of that, but I'm pretty sure you could change out the saddles instead of the whole bridge. Maybe someone else on here knows a little more about that or you could talk to some guys at a music shop.

Yeah we've thought of that too. The reason I switched the whole bridge was becuase I put a stetsbar on my guitar. www.stetsbar.com

Thanks again everyone.

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Jul 4 2007, 12:10 AM
Okay, I can remember when I first started playing guitar I would play hard cuz I wanted to be a rocker! rolleyes.gif

And I broke the high E all the time. Reason: Too heavy gauge pick for the style. Try using a pick that is SUPER thin OR hold your pick very lightly.

For heavy metal strumming I recommend picks thinner than .50mm. For metal solos and stuff I can use the same pick but some people like .50mm's or .60mm's. I cannot use anything heavier on my strings (they are 9's) and you shouldn't have to.

For 10 gauge you may be able to get away with a tiny bit heavier pick.

All pick gauges can be increased drastically from what I just said if you strum with the pick at an angle like in one of Kris's beginner lessons, but I can't fix my strum angle so I just use thin picks.

You said it breaks at the bridge and that makes sense. A heavier pick will stretch the string more when it strikes... because your strumming so close to the bridge (as opposed to the head) it rocks back and forth along the saddle each time you strum. The high E being the thinnest string AND the last string your pick usually hits on down strokes (thus stretching it further) it is the first to break.

Try thinner picks and if your still breaking the string then I suggest giving all your gear to me and just buying all new equipment. Cheers!

Hardtail

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jul 4 2007, 12:16 AM
That stetsbare looks very interesting. Hows it feel compared to other trems ?

- John

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Robin
Jul 4 2007, 12:37 AM
QUOTE (Hardtail @ Jul 3 2007, 11:10 PM) *
Okay, I can remember when I first started playing guitar I would play hard cuz I wanted to be a rocker! rolleyes.gif

And I broke the high E all the time. Reason: Too heavy gauge pick for the style. Try using a pick that is SUPER thin OR hold your pick very lightly.

For heavy metal strumming I recommend picks thinner than .50mm. For metal solos and stuff I can use the same pick but some people like .50mm's or .60mm's. I cannot use anything heavier on my strings (they are 9's) and you shouldn't have to.

For 10 gauge you may be able to get away with a tiny bit heavier pick.

All pick gauges can be increased drastically from what I just said if you strum with the pick at an angle like in one of Kris's beginner lessons, but I can't fix my strum angle so I just use thin picks.

You said it breaks at the bridge and that makes sense. A heavier pick will stretch the string more when it strikes... because your strumming so close to the bridge (as opposed to the head) it rocks back and forth along the saddle each time you strum. The high E being the thinnest string AND the last string your pick usually hits on down strokes (thus stretching it further) it is the first to break.

Try thinner picks and if your still breaking the string then I suggest giving all your gear to me and just buying all new equipment. Cheers!

Hardtail

Makes sense, thank you. I cant stand thin picks though, but I'll give it a try.

QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Jul 3 2007, 11:16 PM) *
That stetsbare looks very interesting. Hows it feel compared to other trems ?
- John

I've only tried the tremolo on strats before, long time ago though.
But the stetsbar is freakin smooth!! I love it. Easy to put on aswell, you literaly just throw it on the guitar! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 4 2007, 03:59 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Robin @ Jul 3 2007, 06:39 PM) *
My high E string break constantly. I use 0.10 Elixir strings.
Just wondering if anyone knows about strings that got really good durability? This is not necessarely the problem of course, it might be my playing or the guitar, but I've changed the bridge and it still break. I might aswell just try new strings, been using Elixir since I started playing.

So, any special brand that "never" breaks?

Thanks.

Try DR but check out the bridge as well

This post has been edited by muris: Jul 4 2007, 03:59 AM

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
bmh1109
Jul 4 2007, 06:45 AM
i recall reading somewhere, that if your constantly breaking strings at the bridge you can put a small bit of lubricant where the saddle meets the string . I remembered it saying it helps cut down on wear and could help if you break strings frequently. Might be worth giving a try

--------------------
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Fender MIM Strat
Amps
Mesa Studio Preamp--->Mesa 50/50--->Line 6 M13 ---> into Avatar 2x12 Cab rewired for stereo operation

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Jul 4 2007, 10:44 PM
heard gd things about the Ernie Ball RPS11 its suposed to be gd strong

+Quote Post
Asphyxia Feeling
Jul 7 2007, 02:03 PM
Elixirs are good (i have em on my guitar at the moment) i hear FR coated strings are better though. both of those are said to last up to 5x longer then your normal fender / earnie ball etc

--------------------
What did you learn tonight?
while shouting so loud, you barely joyous, broken thing.
You are a voice that never sings, is what i say.
You are freezing over hell
You are bringing on that end you do so well
and you can only blame yourself, is what is say.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:19 AM